Optimal Settings for Parking Events and Regular Driving Use

SonOfKorhal

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO A229 Pro 2ch
Please let me know which settings work best for you on the road and parking mode.
Hopefully, @Panzer Platform @Agie @rcg530 will also provide their recommendations\suggestions.

So, I finally got my A229 Pro 2ch dashcam hard wire installed.
The front is using VIOFO_A229P_V1.0_231009
The rear is using V1.0_230928
I'm unsure which firmware I should upgrade to at this time (I also just realized I need to purchase an SD card reader).
From my understanding, the dash cam is continuously on (even when switching to parking mode after the ignition is off) until it turns off at some set voltage, so my car can still start.

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies!~

The early firmware versions for the A229 Pro produced some lower quality HDR video. I would recommend to upgrade the front and rear cameras to their latest publicly available firmware versions (front v1.2_240227, rear v1.0_231207). I use the HDR Timer feature to turn on the HDR feature based on a time schedule (on at night / off during the day). Others will have HDR on all of the time, you'll have to decide what's best for your situation.

Using the hardwire kit, the A229 Pro will have access to constant battery power when the vehicle's engine is running (accessory power on) and when the vehicle is parked (accessory power is off). The low voltage cutoff feature will turn off the power being sent to the A229 Pro when the vehicle is parked (accessory power off) and the vehicle's voltage level drops below the pre-selected low voltage cutoff voltage value on the HK4 hardwire kit module. There is usually a small variance in the precision of the voltage cutoff hardware (up to +/- 0.2V), so I would select a 12.2V or a 12.0V LVC cutoff voltage level depending on your needs.

If you park your vehicle in your garage at home and you don't require parking mode, you can power down the A229 Pro by quick pressing the leftmost Menu button to awaken the screen, then long press the Menu button (for about 1 to 2 seconds) and you'll hear a beep from the A229 Pro. That's when it starts to power down. It goes into a deep sleep (extremely low power consumption mode) and will stay that way until you start the vehicle's engine (accessory power is turned on again). We use this approach in all of our vehicle's that are parked in our garage. We don't need the dash camera to record anything while parked at home.

Congrats, and welcome to the club.
Optimal / best settings do not exist.
Try them all, see what works best for your application.
Record your own test footage, review it with your own eyeballs.
Don’t let anyone dictate how you should use your camera.
That said, the newest firmware is here;

“Always” use the highest Bitrate setting for the highest image quality.
“Only” use Viofo Brand SD Cards.
If you ever report a recording malfunction with a non-Viofo brand SD Card “people” will always blame the aftermarket SD Card.
Of course you should be able use any brand SD Card that meets specification but that is not reality.

Parking Mode;
AED: Number one cause for DCT new membership & tech support inquiry
Time Lapse: No Audio
Low Bitrate: Most Reliable

Hardwire Kit Low Voltage Cutoff Setting;
While you test which LVC setting provides adequate parking mode run time I would keep a battery booster / jump starter in the glove box in case you kill your starter battery.
But every good boy scout already has that in the glove box right. lol
Keep in mind parking mode run time will be reduced as your starter battery ages, and heath deteriorates.
This is one of the reasons folks opt for a dash cam battery pack to isolate the dash camera from the starter battery.

Blast you DT, you spoiled my joke.
I wanted to see if OP could detect the irony. lol
That’s why I put always & only in quotations.
I was taught absolute words like all, none, must, except, every, not, always, just, only, and never should be used cautiously.
That’s why I “always” put them in quotations like I’m using air quotes with my fingers.

Unfortunately, my cars only have the option of one covered parking spot and one permit-covered parking spot.
Being a California resident, I expect the cameras to sometimes go into overheating protection mode.
@VIOFO-Support - Does the A229 pro dashcam start recording again automatically when the temperature drops?

Unfortunately, my cars only have the option of one covered parking spot and one permit-covered parking spot.
Being a California resident, I expect the cameras to sometimes go into overheating protection mode.
@VIOFO-Support - Does the A229 pro dashcam start recording again automatically when the temperature drops?
If the camera is turned off due to the high-temperature warning, you need to turn it on manually after the temperature drops. Since there are no changes in voltage if you leave it with the power cable plugged all the way, the camera cannot get a “signal” to wake up.

I assume, based on my research, that I can only update firmware using an SD card and OTA does not work right?

I assume, based on my research, that I can only update firmware using an SD card and OTA does not work right?
If I understand correctly, then by installing the firmware version: V1.2_240227 you have the opportunity to make the next update using OTA.

If I understand correctly, then by installing the firmware version: V1.2_240227 you have the opportunity to make the next update using OTA.
I read that OTA does not work currently on any firmware version, and I hope the 1.3 release fixes OTA updates.

I read that OTA does not work currently on any firmware version, and I hope the 1.3 release fixes OTA updates.

Thanks for the mention and the link.

I have just done some more testing which I'll post there.

Back