Overheating?

JohnD76

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently bought a 522GW and have just added a rear addon module to it.

The weather here is stupidly hot at present, which may be a contributing factor, but I noticed after inserting the addon camera module that the 522 is very hot to the touch.

The screen remained black and the unit was unresponsive, but would take photo's with me double tapping the screen. Live view reported black for both front and rear cameras, but the photos taken when viewed via the phone app later on, we actual photos.

I am going to remove the addon module and see if the behaviour changes today. I am also finding that the phone app keeps losing connection with the camera and alexa disappearing from the config. The only solution seems to be to delete the connection and set up the connected apps every 5 mins or so......

Anyone else had these problems, or should I just return it to amazon?

Hello,

I hv no solution to offer but that's apparently a recurrent problem with nextbase products. I've sent back my 622gw

Hi,

The weather here is stupidly hot at present, which may be a contributing factor, but I noticed after inserting the addon camera module that the 522 is very hot to the touch.

The screen remained black and the unit was unresponsive, but would take photo's with me double tapping the screen. Live view reported black for both front and rear cameras, but the photos taken when viewed via the phone app later on, we actual photos.

I am going to remove the addon module and see if the behaviour changes today. I am also finding that the phone app keeps losing connection with the camera and alexa disappearing from the config. The only solution seems to be to delete the connection and set up the connected apps every 5 mins or so......

what sd card are you using?

Did the 522 work as it should before you added the cabin camera.

Hi,

Did it work before you added the cabin camera

Hi John,

All of our cameras are tested between -20'C (-4F) to +45'C (113'F), although if the car temperature exceeds this you could potentially experience issues. We'd recommend removing the Dash Cam and placing in the glove compartment when the Dash Cam is not in use to prevent it being unnecessarily heated on the windscreen. As it was very warm here the last few weeks, it may be that the temperature under your windscreen exceeded 45'C. When storing the Dash Cam for an extended time period, store within the following temperature range: from 0° to 25°C (from 32° to 77°F).

Under the mount is a heat sync, so this is the part of the camera that will get warmest. It's nothing to worry about, they're designed to cope with the heat they produce.
However excess heat can be caused by a failed SD card so I'd recommend checking the SD card is compatible and working.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hi John,

All of our cameras are tested between -20'C (-4F) to +45'C (113'F), although if the car temperature exceeds this you could potentially experience issues. We'd recommend removing the Dash Cam and placing in the glove compartment when the Dash Cam is not in use to prevent it being unnecessarily heated on the windscreen. As it was very warm here the last few weeks, it may be that the temperature under your windscreen exceeded 45'C. When storing the Dash Cam for an extended time period, store within the following temperature range: from 0° to 25°C (from 32° to 77°F).

Under the mount is a heat sync, so this is the part of the camera that will get warmest. It's nothing to worry about, they're designed to cope with the heat they produce.
However excess heat can be caused by a failed SD card so I'd recommend checking the SD card is compatible and working.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support
Adding on to this, it only takes about 40 minutes in direct sunlight for a car to hear up to 40°C inside, and that was in an older, less insulated car, so I'd imagine a newer, better sealed car would be quicker, and get hotter.

Back