Pano II problems

chicken

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I just got my Pano II today and mounted it and took a test drive. On the screen the video looks ok but when I pop the card in my computer and look at it everything is somewhat out of focus, to the point you cannot read a license plate. I look through the instruction manual and searched the forums but I dont see anything about adjusting the focus on the lens. Is that possible or did I just get a defective unit? I wanted to see what others thought before I reached out to the vendor I bought it from. Thanks

No plastic film over the lens at all?

Lens focus is set manually so human error can occur unfortunately

Hmm not that I saw but I'll double check in the morning. Thanks

Good afternoon. Focus, rage, contrast panorama 2 installed automatically. To help you need to see your videos. In blind hard to conclude. Sbrost your video and we'll try to help you.

Hi, I just got my Pano II today and mounted it and took a test drive. On the screen the video looks ok but when I pop the card in my computer and look at it everything is somewhat out of focus, to the point you cannot read a license plate. I look through the instruction manual and searched the forums but I dont see anything about adjusting the focus on the lens. Is that possible or did I just get a defective unit? I wanted to see what others thought before I reached out to the vendor I bought it from. Thanks

Can you make two things:
- close up ( macro ) photo of the lens
- share raw / original video, so we can also see and give opinion. Not youtube ! Use mega.co.nz or drop box.

Can you make two things:
- close up ( macro ) photo of the lens
- share raw / original video, so we can also see and give opinion. Not youtube ! Use mega.co.nz or drop box.

I've got the same/similar problem as the OP, the first day i got it, the video was perfectly fine in 1080p at 30fps.
Couple of days later i went to check the video and noticed it was blurry, slightly clearer in the middle of the video.

I've made sure my windshield is clean and checked the lens, the lens looked perfectly clean.

Have uploaded a video to mega.co.nz.
https://mega.co.nz/#!4IAXySwb!3dchxzAsabPU233F1ONfY1d_HxXn5r2gm9O9XoGffzw

Sorry but the file is quite big..

I've got the same/similar problem as the OP, the first day i got it, the video was perfectly fine in 1080p at 30fps.
Couple of days later i went to check the video and noticed it was blurry, slightly clearer in the middle of the video.

I've made sure my windshield is clean and checked the lens, the lens looked perfectly clean.

Have uploaded a video to mega.co.nz.
https://mega.co.nz/#!4IAXySwb!3dchxzAsabPU233F1ONfY1d_HxXn5r2gm9O9XoGffzw

Sorry but the file is quite big..

No worries about big file. Me and other Panorama II users will download, inspect and give opinion.

No worries about big file. Me and other Panorama II users will download, inspect and give opinion.

Thanks Niko, would love to get this resolved. I hope it's not a hardware issue :/

Thanks Niko, would love to get this resolved. I hope it's not a hardware issue :/

Just checked your footage. Something is not right from lens part.
Let's go step by step:

1. At the beginning everything was fine with focus, right ?
2. few days later this blurry image started, right ?
3. you checked lens and they are with no fingerprints or any other greasy stuff ?

Yep, thats pretty much it. I've even got some isopropyl alcohol to make sure the lens is clean.
However, there was a very hot day here in Melbourne, Australia and i think after that day i started noticing the footage was blurry. Could this be the problem?

Yep, thats pretty much it. I've even got some isopropyl alcohol to make sure the lens is clean.
However, there was a very hot day here in Melbourne, Australia and i think after that day i started noticing the footage was blurry. Could this be the problem?

I call "problem" a problem when situation can not be resolved at all, but you don't have to worry. It was only very little few faulty reports that could not be resolved remotely and warranty exchange was swift by vendor, but this is the last resource if can not help now.
Pano uses high quality glass lens so hot sun could not damage ( melt ) top layer, so this idea I keep away.
The only I might think is that glue that holds lens thread in fixed position after focusing, - it was not enough applied and got melted, resulting in lose connectio nand after soem driving ( vibration ) the lens went out of focus.
It happened to me in the past with one cheap chinese model.
Problem resolved by adjusting focus manually and put some extra glue over thread, not super-glue ;), but in your case because it's under warranty, please first consult seller what to do. You send it back for replacement, or you want to try to adjust lens yourself, with agreement that if you can not manage to fix and still send it back, - they will not void warranty because of you trying to fix yourself.

I call "problem" a problem when situation can not be resolved at all, but you don't have to worry. It was only very little few faulty reports that could not be resolved remotely and warranty exchange was swift by vendor, but this is the last resource if can not help now.
Pano uses high quality glass lens so hot sun could not damage ( melt ) top layer, so this idea I keep away.
The only I might think is that glue that holds lens thread in fixed position after focusing, - it was not enough applied and got melted, resulting in lose connectio nand after soem driving ( vibration ) the lens went out of focus.
It happened to me in the past with one cheap chinese model.
Problem resolved by adjusting focus manually and put some extra glue over thread, not super-glue ;), but in your case because it's under warranty, please first consult seller what to do. You send it back for replacement, or you want to try to adjust lens yourself, with agreement that if you can not manage to fix and still send it back, - they will not void warranty because of you trying to fix yourself.

Thanks for the quick replies Nicko, if there any documentation anywhere that i can follow to get to the lens/thread?

EDIT: I think i will probably do more damage than good trying to fix it myself, i have contacted the seller on eBay for an exchange. Hope it works out!

Last edited:
Actually before you start opening case, ( which is not recommended before you don't agree with seller in order to void warranty ), there is other more simple way to check if lens are loosen:
Make very light marks, one on lens surrounding plastic, other on lens surrounding body. Take think household rubber gloves ( better if surgical gloves, they are thinnest ) and try to tunr lens, then you see if they mover freely or not.
If moving freely, it means they are loosen, - then you can talk about arrangement with seller about you fixing yourself.

Actually before you start opening case, ( which is not recommended before you don't agree with seller in order to void warranty ), there is other more simple way to check if lens are loosen:
Make very light marks, one on lens surrounding plastic, other on lens surrounding body. Take think household rubber gloves ( better if surgical gloves, they are thinnest ) and try to tunr lens, then you see if they mover freely or not.
If moving freely, it means they are loosen, - then you can talk about arrangement with seller about you fixing yourself.

Just tried that, Lens didn't give at all - no movement in it, hmmm. Guess i will wait for the seller to contact me!
Thanks again for your help Niko

I haven't looked at your video, but you mentioned the hot weather in Melbourne. Sydney has been experiencing the same thing and I've heard of other camera users (not Panos, though) getting humidity condensation behind the lens. A hot and steamy car shocked with cool airconditioning can cause condensation. From memory I think this happened to Blackvue users in the past.
Maybe try taking your camera out and put it in an air-tight Tupperware container with some silica gel sachets (the ones you get with leatherware, like shoes) and leave it overnight. See if that makes a difference.

I haven't looked at your video, but you mentioned the hot weather in Melbourne. Sydney has been experiencing the same thing and I've heard of other camera users (not Panos, though) getting humidity condensation behind the lens. A hot and steamy car shocked with cool airconditioning can cause condensation. From memory I think this happened to Blackvue users in the past.
Maybe try taking your camera out and put it in an air-tight Tupperware container with some silica gel sachets (the ones you get with leatherware, like shoes) and leave it overnight. See if that makes a difference.

That's a really good point.. Because I did blast the aircon at the time as well, I'll try find some silica gel sachets in the meantime.

Cheers!

A quick and dirty method is to use rice, but I don't think it'd be as effective.

Good point. Might need try this as well.

Back