Panorama 2 camera Clock! looses real time...

theJudas

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi everyone , I recently purchased a Panorama II dashcam, and I am very happy with it. Recording is of great quality, and there is not much to say because I have just set it up in my car 4 days ago.

I decided to buy panorama after reading in these forums, information about the camera and viewing some of the videos related to it.

I have only one issue with the camera. I set up the correct date and time , and used the camera for an hour or so driving, after that I go to work after 6 hours when I get in my car the camera displays a wrong time, and therefore I have to reset the clock to the actual time I get in the car.

I can assume that this happens because the camera is plugged in the lighter plug in my car, and when I get out it looses power. Does this mean that I have to connect the camera to a source inside the car (fuse) that it is always giving power? And if this is so I f I don't use my car for a few days will I run out of battery. I personally thought this camera had a low wattage standby mode, or maybe an internal battery for the clock to no tloose its real time. Maybe it does have all these things, and mine is broken.

Anyways thansk to everyone in advance.

Regards.

theJudas said:
Hi everyone , I recently purchased a Panorama II dashcam, and I am very happy with it. Recording is of great quality, and there is not much to say because I have just set it up in my car 4 days ago.

I decided to buy panorama after reading in these forums, information about the camera and viewing some of the videos related to it.

I have only one issue with the camera. I set up the correct date and time , and used the camera for an hour or so driving, after that I go to work after 6 hours when I get in my car the camera displays a wrong time, and therefore I have to reset the clock to the actual time I get in the car.

I can assume that this happens because the camera is plugged in the lighter plug in my car, and when I get out it looses power. Does this mean that I have to connect the camera to a source inside the car (fuse) that it is always giving power? And if this is so I f I don't use my car for a few days will I run out of battery. I personally thought this camera had a low wattage standby mode, or maybe an internal battery for the clock to no tloose its real time. Maybe it does have all these things, and mine is broken.

Anyways thansk to everyone in advance.

Regards.

It has a built in huge double-capacitor which supposedly is better solution then just built in battery to record and save last file in the emergency situation when for example a heavy crash happens ( this I red on Korean forums ). Best of course would be double-capacitor + battery.
Anyway, I drive car twice a day. Morning about 40min, evening same time and did not happen to have time shifting issue.
I will talk to manufacturer and see what they say.

Thank you niko, for responding so fast, and also for your concern.

I have just used the camera and , I have realized that my clock did not change if I was absent for a couple of hours.

Maybe it happens only after a determined number of hours maybe overnight, I don't know if the capacitor is able to hold some charge for more than 9 or 10 hours.

Thank you again.

This is not the first time I hear of a camera using a super capacitor loosing time and/or not saving the last file.
Maybe a lot of short trips will influence this somewhat, where the capacitor never gets fully charged.
This however does not seem to be your case, so maybe the capacitor is flakey?

I have tested my Panorama2 unplugged for 24h, switched on back and time / date was OK.
Maybe because you have not been using it too much yet, capacitors need to "experience" longer working hours to get full potential? I know batteries has a memory. Dont know if the same rule applies to capacitors ? Maybe thats why they have double capacitors: one is for internal time, other is for saving data in case of emergency power cut ?
You may take device home, use mobile phone microusb charger to power-up. Leave it working ( maybe even recording ) at home conditions for continuous 2-4 hours.
Maybe this will help ?

the capacitor should only be used for power down, not for saving info, hardware fault maybe? Not sure

jokiin said:
the capacitor should only be used for power down, not for saving info, hardware fault maybe? Not sure

Same suggestion here, but not sure what type of capacitors they are used and why they are using double-capacitor ?
You know this area more, - can there be a type of capacitors that holds a little charge for internal info storage ( like time ? ). This was my assumption only, because they are using double-capacitors and time is saved some how in this device.

niko said:
jokiin said:

Same suggestion here, but not sure what type of capacitors they are used and why they are using double-capacitor ?
You know this area more, - can there be a type of capacitors that holds a little charge for internal info storage ( like time ? ). This was my assumption only, because they are using double-capacitors and time is saved some how in this device.

don't know how they do it, not familiar with the platform they are using

Hi again, thanks everyone for their contribution.

Some of you might have pointed the real issue with this camera, in relation to my clock time problem.

A good way to test this would be , knowing; how long do the capacitors inside the cam take to charge? and after that how long are they expected to last with the camera turned off?

Once we knew that data, we could really get to the bottom of this.

I'll keep checking and do some tests to see If I find out.

Thanks again.

theJudas said:
Hi again, thanks everyone for their contribution.

Some of you might have pointed the real issue with this camera, in relation to my clock time problem.

A good way to test this would be , knowing; how long do the capacitors inside the cam take to charge? and after that how long are they expected to last with the camera turned off?

Once we knew that data, we could really get to the bottom of this.

I'll keep checking and do some tests to see If I find out.

Thanks again.

Capacitor does not need constant charging. It saves small electrical charge instantly, but for how long it stores it, - this is determined by size / volume of capacitor.
How long does it last: - in this case need to open case and measure readings directly from capacitors.

I have assumption that there is dual capacitor for a reason: first capacitor needed for keeping stored time / date settings and second capacitor is kept for files recording and saving in case of emergency power off or just powering off.

My assumption:
If you switch off an engine ( turn off acc ), dash cam powers off where one capacitor which responsible for saving last video file will use its capacity for that, other one is meant for saving and keeping time and date.
In case if you push the ON / OFF button in that mode where dash camera does not get any ACC power, - it will tries to power up and will use second capacitor juice. This way time-shifting can happen.

P.S. - those are only my assumptions which are not tested. Sorry if I am wrong. I will have time later on to test and let you know if this is the case.

Hi again, I used my car just minutes ago, and last time I used it was yesterday , morning when I upgraded the camera's firmware.

This morning as soon as I started my car the camera switched on, and the "battery charging" icon started blinking for a few seconds. During that time the clock of the camera displayed the time correctly, (6:42 am) ; but just after the "battery charging" icon stopped being deisplayed on the screen, the starting sound of the camera could be heard again, and in that precise moment the clock went crazy.

It suddenly displayed 6 ours more (12:42 pm).

For the moment this is what it has occured, as soon as I find out more , I will post it here.

Thank you.

theJudas said:
Hi again, I used my car just minutes ago, and last time I used it was yesterday , morning when I upgraded the camera's firmware.

This morning as soon as I started my car the camera switched on, and the "battery charging" icon started blinking for a few seconds. During that time the clock of the camera displayed the time correctly, (6:42 am) ; but just after the "battery charging" icon stopped being deisplayed on the screen, the starting sound of the camera could be heard again, and in that precise moment the clock went crazy.

It suddenly displayed 6 ours more (12:42 pm).

For the moment this is what it has occured, as soon as I find out more , I will post it here.

Thank you.

Which firmware did you use, Matego or Panorama ?

Hi Niko, I'm not really aware , which of those two types of firmware I used.

But I used the one the guy from Korea sent me via email.

The file is named GLG300.ELF maybe that brings some light to you.

Thanks in advance.

theJudas said:
Hi Niko, I'm not really aware , which of those two types of firmware I used.

But I used the one the guy from Korea sent me via email.

The file is named GLG300.ELF maybe that brings some light to you.

Thanks in advance.

please check under dash cam settings what does it displaying, v1.08.03 or 1.08.03 without v ?

Hi Again , the firmware number, does not have a "V" at the end.

Also it happened again this midday, I used the car this morning and the clock was working fine. Then this midday, I used the car and automatically it added 7 hours more.

Thank you again .

Maybe it's defaulting to Korea time somehow? Spain --> Korea = 7 hrs time difference. There might be a setting for default time zone somewhere in the menus. If you have the GPS option that might make sense. Try it without GPS and see.

theJudas said:
Hi Again , the firmware number, does not have a "V" at the end.

Also it happened again this midday, I used the car this morning and the clock was working fine. Then this midday, I used the car and automatically it added 7 hours more.

Thank you again .

I meant V at the beginning, like v1.08.03 or 1.08.03 ?

Hi again;

There is no V in front of the firmware number.

Yesterday I reseted the time to the correct one, and unplugged the GPS when I arrived at home. This morning I started my route to work, without the GPS being plugged in and the clock did not change.

It is very possible, that this issue has to do with the time zone difference due to some setup in the GPS, or something similar.

By the way the camera has no time zone setup on the menu available.

I will confirm this as soon as I re test again.

Thank you.

theJudas said:
Hi again;

There is no V in front of the firmware number.

Yesterday I reseted the time to the correct one, and unplugged the GPS when I arrived at home. This morning I started my route to work, without the GPS being plugged in and the clock did not change.

It is very possible, that this issue has to do with the time zone difference due to some setup in the GPS, or something similar.

I will confirm this as soon as I re test again.

Thank you.

I had mine at home for past 5days, not used in the car, only testing once per day using to power up micro usb for 10sec and check time. Time stays always correct. As you assumed, probably there is something to do with time zone settings.

theJudas said:
Yesterday I reseted the time to the correct one, and unplugged the GPS when I arrived at home. This morning I started my route to work, without the GPS being plugged in and the clock did not change. It is very possible, that this issue has to do with the time zone difference due to some setup in the GPS, or something similar.

I thought it was no coincidence that the clock was off by 7 hours.

Back