Panorama II S purchasing and first use impressions

Spinball

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius & Panorama II S
Hello,
thought I would share my first impressions.
I followed the link to purchase on ebay from the FAQ in this forum. I bought the unit, the GPS, the lens filter and the power controller.
The seller was prompt and communications were good and the unit arrived well packaged and in good working order.
First thing was that the power connector is a lighter socket. I had overlooked this fact and was prepared for power via USB and purchased a Lighter -> 2 x USB converter. One for the DashCam and one for my iPhone as SatNav.
Now I've had to purchase a Lighter Socket -> 3 Lighter Sockets + 1 x USB converter. No big deal, really.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00K5OGHEE
Everything about the Panorama II S is as expected. But the slight recess around the SD card socket is particularly handy for people like me with short fingernails to easily get the card in and out. I can't get the Micro SD card in or out of a Mobius dashcam without a screwdriver.

Setting up the Panorama II S was dead easy and the menu is intuitive. Installation took a few minutes.
I upgraded the firmware to the latest (v1.12.06, 18Mbs) after watching the video in the FAQ (very useful, thank you).

I have a problem with the G sensor. Even on the LOW setting, the G sensor fires an event when going over minor pot holes, so I'm going to have to leave that disabled. If I were programming the Panorama II S menu, would provide a sliding sensitivity scale so people can adjust it to suit the suspension of their particular vehicle.

I'm recording video at 1920x1080. The picture quality is not bad. Excellent when stationary, but there is some visible JPEG type artefacting when there is a lot of moving detail. And there is some slight stuttering. This is using a SanDisk 32Gb class 10 card and I've ordered a Transcend 64Gig https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00EH5UQDA
I created a video while driving along a tree lined road at reasonable speed which requires a lot of processing and the 18Mbs is not quite enough. I'd probably want to try something nearer 25Mbs if I could. Given that the SD card could cope.
Here is the video. Note the compression added by YouTube's algorithm is significantly worse than the original video. Terrible, in fact.
I had my video producing employee (ISF & THX certified calibrator) take a look at the video file from the Panorama II S (not the YouTube version) and he had this to say:
The only issue is exposure changes, but there is nothing you can really do to fix that other than going fixed if it allows. But you then risk other issues if the light changes quite a bit. At the money you paid, I would say that the image quality in that clip is rather good, nicely detailed and stands up well to changing light. As well as can be expected. No over the top rolling shutter, as well. That road really is a torture test.
I plan to create a comparison video between the Panorama II S and the mobius along the same route.

Thanks, I cannot find the FAQ but I shall keep looking

By the way, in your video here, you have the Camera pointed way too high up into the sky. The Auto Exposure won't work well, and the real "road" action is off center. Aim it lower. 60% Road, 40% Sky for much better results.

By the way, in your video here, you have the Camera pointed way too high up into the sky. The Auto Exposure won't work well, and the real "road" action is off center. Aim it lower. 60% Road, 40% Sky for much better results.
The dashcam is already as high up the windscreen as it will go. And you can see that the bonnet of the car is in view at the bottom of the picture. So this is the best angle.

From the other thread: (for those that missed it)

you don't want it making the white balance adjustments based on what's happening in the sky when what you're interested is on the road directly in front of you, the firmware is tailored to this type of usage

Back