Panorama IIs & GPS

tevans9129

Reaction score
Country
United States
These two items were purchased in July 2014 but have not had a need to look at the files since checking them when purchased. We made our first trip since their purchase and I have found that the GPS was recorded only about 5% of the time, or less. I check the symbol often to see if the GPS is connected and it always shows that it is.

I have used both DashCam and Registrator to view the files and they show the same. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be the problem or what I should look for? It is really disappointing that I lost most of the GPS data on the trip. Thanks for any comments.

Ted

It sounds like something in your car is causing GPS signal interference.

What is the make/model of your car?

What other non-stock electronics do you have running?

How far away do you have the antenna from the main camera?

Do you have the GPS stuck to your dash or upside down against the window? (maybe post a photo)

Which firmware are you running?

Are you using the latest RegistratorViewer 5.9?

Can you reproduce the missing GPS data on short test recordings? If so, can you test recording in another car to rule out something going on in the primary car?

The Panorama has very good QA, but anything is possible with electronics as you know. Where did you buy it from? Are you using the old GPS (square shaped) or new GPS? (thin/rectangle)

Hi Pier28, thanks for the quick response.

It sounds like something in your car is causing GPS signal interference.

What is the make/model of your car?

1) 2012 Toyota Venzi

What other non-stock electronics do you have running?

2) Occasionally an HP laptop but it does not make any difference if it is plugged in or not.

How far away do you have the antenna from the main camera?

3) Ten inches or thereabouts.

Do you have the GPS stuck to your dash or upside down against the window? (maybe post a photo)

4) No, it is just lying on the dash as I have not wanted to do anything permanent until everything is working correctly. I have tried it in different positions but seems to make no difference.

Which firmware are you running?

5) 1.12.06

Are you using the latest RegistratorViewer 5.9?

6) Yes, and I have also tried it with DashCam, both do the same.

Can you reproduce the missing GPS data on short test recordings? If so, can you test recording in another car to rule out something going on in the primary car?

7) I can try it in my ‘94 pickup. I just turned it on while the car was in the garage and the GPS data recorded as it should but I only ran it about 3-4 minutes. It does not seem to go off in the middle of a file (2 min), if it is recording at the beginning of the file it goes through to the end of that file. During a three hour run, 4-12 files may have the data and the others will be missing.

The Panorama has very good QA, but anything is possible with electronics as you know. Where did you buy it from? Are you using the old GPS (square shaped) or new GPS? (thin/rectangle)

8) The IIs I purchased from Amazon, the GPS unit I got from Roadcam and it is the (thin/rectangle) one.

9) Thanks again for the suggestions, I will try it in my pickup tomorrow and see if it does the same. Unfortunately, it is a random issue. I looked at a number of files on different dates and some on the same date have the GPS data others do not.

Orientation does not seem to make a difference with my unit. I placed it on three sides and different positions on the dash and it remained connected and recording. One difference is the vehicle was not moving, I will try this test tomorrow with the vehicle moving.

Does the car have a heated or IR reflective windshield? The coating in those have been known to block GPS signals. Can you temporarily hold the unit near an open window or sunroof and see if reception improves?

KuoH

THIS might be a reason and solution ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kuoh, no, the windshield is not heated or IR reflective. The GPS does not loose signal from the satellite, the connect symbol remains green once a connection is made. The problem is not with connecting, it is not recording the GPS data at times even when the dashcam shows a GPS connection. I also have a GPS connected to a laptop that has no problem when used in the same location as the one for the dashcam. The problem is the GPS data is not being written into the files, at least not in the majority of files. It seems to me to be one of two possibilities, 1) the GPS unit is not sending the data to the dashcam, or 2) the dashcam is not writing the data into the files. I believe the viewers have been eliminated as the exact same data is in Registrator and Dashcam viewers. Since it is a random problem, it is not easily tested but I am going to try a few things with it today.

Have you tried to flash firmware ?

No Niko, but I will. I am also going to reformat the SDHC cards today. Thanks for the suggestion.

A little more information on the loss of GPS data with the II S.

trip to destination was 8 hours 11 minutes

GPS data was recorded at two different times for 10 seconds each time.

trip from destination was 7 hours 16 minutes

the first 6 hours and 14 minutes had all GPS data recorded

the next 42 minutes had no GPS

then 22 seconds of GPS data

the last 4 minutes had no GPS

A 32GB Transcend class 10 card was used on first leg and a 64GB SanDisk class 10 was used on the second leg.

Other than the cards, nothing was changed, added or subtracted.

Back