Panorama or Mobius for rear camera?

singlespeed

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I want to install a camera facing out the rear window of a Mark 7 Golf, I can mount it to the rear hatch or on the roof just above the hatch. The rear window is tinted so I know I'll already have some challenges, but the car is driven 90% of the time in the daytime so nighttime excellence is the biggest requirement. Does anyone have experience in using the Pano as a rear camera? I'm not that cost driven, but I do like the size and price of the Mobius. The Golf has a power point in the trunk so it'll be easy to wire it in.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

I'm also thinking of a rear camera for a 2014 Toyota Hilux, which has a tinted vertical rear window, I think something external that is waterproof mounted between the bed and the bumper would be the best option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running a VW CC with the factory privacy glass and here are a couple of links to show you what to expect with the EV turned up.

I've got to admit I'm toying with the idea of the Mobius for the rear for the smaller form factor so will be interested to see how you get on if you go down that route.

While acknowledging that the Panorama II/S is probably the best dashcam available today, I suggest that the Mobius makes a preferable rear view cam, simply because it's tiny size doesn't obstruct your view in the rear mirror. Here's mine...

CIMG6337.JPG CIMG6343.JPG Cloudy Setting Rear Sunny.jpg

Note that the high level rear brake light in my car is blocking part of the view of the sky. I need to adjust the mounting.

The EV is adjustable to compensate for your tint, however, the current adjustment increments are too coarse, & may result in overexposure, depending on the degree of tinting. The Developer is aware &, hopefully, the next firmware update will fix this.

I would agree with @russ331 about using the Mobius as a rear camera. After experimenting with various cameras I've concluded it's the best option for a discreet, reliable solution, especially with the super-capacitor and wide "B" lens.
An important question to ask oneself is whether the Panorama II/S, at approximately three times the price will yield results that are three times better than the Mobius, particularly when deployed as a rear facing dash cam. The obvious answer is no. Also, many of the unique high end features available in the Panorama would go to waste when used in the rear of a vehicle.

I've just moved my Mobius from the front to the rear on my Mk6 Golf. With the 12v power socket in the boot it's a simple job.

Managed to run the cable under the rear door rubber and along the plastic spacer (between the roof lining and the hatch opening) to the centre point. The Mobius is in its cradle attached with some Velcro for easy adjustment.

My Golf also has the factory dark tint, but I didn't need to adjust the exposure setting for the best image.

Last edited:
I've just moved my Mobius from the front to the rear on my Mk6 Golf. With the 12v power socket in the boot it's a simple job.

Managed to run the cable behind the rear door rubber and along the plastic spacer (between the roof lining and the hatch opening) to the centre point. The Mobius is in its cradle attached with some Velcro for easy adjustment.

My Golf also has the factory dark tint, but I didn't need to adjust the exposure setting for the best image.

Good job! Often the camera will do well with its own exposure compensation without having to monkey with the EV settings.

I decided to get another Panorama for the rear. I can mount it in such a way that it'll minimally impact viewing from the RVM and it's quite conspicuous from outside viewers. I like how easy it is to manage the Pano's, while the Mobius isn't bad, I like the touchscreen for making changes. I ordered a new model with GPS and CPL, if my current 2014 models won't support the CPL then I'll swap one of them to the back. I went with the GPS to make timestamps accurate all the time. For the first time though, I'll cut the GPS wires to size rather than trying to hide them in trim, it should be an easy soldering job. I assume the wires are color coded accordingly.

@Hilts : can you, please, upload to youtube one video using the Mobius as rear camera? Thank you.

@Hilts : can you, please, upload to youtube one video using the Mobius as rear camera? Thank you.
@Padwanjoe - As requested, please find below a link to some video footage of my Mobius B in its new rear facing installation.;)
Better still to mega.co.nz so there's no loss of video quality.
It's quite large (235MB) & I'm trying mega.co.nz for the first time, so here's hoping this link works:-
https://mega.co.nz/#!E5gnxTZT!eJ2K2-FBUXWArZBh0v-IsvYEL8pZjRBbvJbSaye5ie0

It's been taken through the dark tinted rear window of my car using a Mobius B (wide angle lens) ActionCam using the following settings:-
FW 1.20
1080P Narrow FOV 30fps
Movie Quality - Super
WDR - On
White Balance - Auto
Colour Effect - Standard
Exposure - 0
Contrast - 0
Saturation - 0
Sharpness - 0

BTW I'm still experimenting with the Exposure Value (EV) settings at the moment to find the best 'all-round' setting for it's new use. I suspect that I may have to set EV to +1 and sacrifice some clarity on sunny days, in order to get better video footage on overcast/rainy days (as we get plenty of those inWales!).
At the moment EV +1 tends to provide a slightly overexposed image but, hopefully, this will be improved in a future FW release.o_O

Anyhow, I hope video this gives you a good idea of it's potential as a rear facing DVR.

Last edited:
Thank you very, very much. I looked to the video and it looks as I hoped so: great!
Have you also tried to use the wide FOV setting as well ? You are using the narrow one because the wide one catches more of the rear pillars ?
All the health in the world to your child and your family!

You're welcome & thank you for the kind message for my family!:) The music choice, for the journey home, is always very important to keep them all happy!

I was originally running the Mobius as a front facing Dash Cam and I preferred the footage of the Narrow FOV compared to the Wide FOV. I found that the Wide FOV gave too much of a 'fisheye' effect. I hope you understand what I mean by that.

Due to the shallow height of the rear window I doubt there is any point using the Wide FOV setting, as all it will do is capture even more of the interior.

Reviewing the footage this morning - I do need to lower the camera angle very slightly and run with EV at +1 for a while in different light conditions to see how it copes.

I must admit I'd love to own a Panorama S - its video footage looks excellent in all light conditions, whereas the Mobius looses clarity quickly as the light fails. But it's great how adaptable it is.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information, I completely understood it. Be safe and sound!

Thanks for sharing your Mobius update, it looks good. I'll post some rear view Pano clips very soon.

Back