Panorama X2 - Dashcam Newbie Requesting Clarification

Jaybird

Reaction score
Country
United States
After my brand new Civic got hit (and they ran) while parked, I considered getting a dash cam. Now that I have a new 328i, I am getting one ASAP.

It seems as though the Panorama X2 fits the bill for me, but I have a few questions about it. Excuse me if my questions seem dumb, but I am having a tough time skimming through all the posts on this site (I just found the site an hour ago), Im hoping it will be easier for somene to answer a few questions to save me some time (and eat up some of yours, lol).

I see the main unit goes up front and it has a secondary unit for the back which plugs into the main unit. The main unit plugs into the 12v outlet, yes?

In parking mode, is there any worry of it eating up the battery juice?

I see it "buffers" for 5 seconds before movement is detected. First, how the hell is this possible? (strictly curious) and second, does this unit stay in a "sleep" mode, or something to that extent?

I'm assuming this unit turns off when it is not geting power from the 12v outlet? Does it then run off an internal battery for parking mode?

I'm sure I'll come up with some more questions, but I think thats it for now. I appreciate any replies and thank you for helping me protect my asset!

Hi Welcome to the DashCam Club. Happy to help no questions are dumb at all when you're totally new to this.

The Panorama X2 is a hard wire system. You hookup three wires, two power sources. (not hooked up to cigarette lighter "12V outlet")
1) ACC (switched, as in only hot while engine is running)
2) BATT+ (constant, as in always hot even while engine is off)
3) GROUND

This is how it turns from Normal Recording, to Parking Mode (Motion Detection recording)

The X2 has a built in low voltage battery cut-off system. You can leave it record 24/7 without worry of eating up the battery. The Panorama + Zoran CPU uses the least amount of current/power compared to other systems as well. (very power efficient)

Buffer happens because it's recording to RAM (temp memory on the circuit board) When a trigger happens, it can record those buffered seconds along with the new future video to the memory card right then and there.

Keep them coming , ready for action :)

Last edited:
Hi Welcome to the DashCam Club. Happy to help no questions are dumb at all when you're totally new to this.

The Panorama X2 is a hard wire system. You hookup three wires, two power sources. (not hooked up to cigarette lighter "12V outlet")
1) ACC (switched, as in only hot while engine is running)
2) BATT+ (constant, as in always hot even while engine is off)
3) GROUND

This is how it turns from Normal Recording, to Parking Mode (Motion Detection recording)

The X2 has a built in low voltage battery cut-off system. You can leave it record 24/7 without worry of eating up the battery. The Panorama + Zoran CPU uses the least amount of current/power compared to other systems as well. (very power efficient)

Buffer happens because it's recording to RAM (temp memory on the circuit board) When a trigger happens, it can record those buffered seconds along with the new future video to the memory card right then and there.

Keep them coming , ready for action :)

Thank you for the info!

Id hate to risk voiding my warranty, so hard wiring may be out of the question. I'm assuming it gets hard wired to the car battery?

Can you recommend a dash car (front/back) with parking mode that does not get hard wired? Or, is parking mode not possible unless hard wired?

Thank you again for your kind reply!

This 3rd party product will let you power via cigarette power port, but then you lose Parking Mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a brand new BMW 328i as I'm sure I've seen they have something which detects drain on the battery while it's switched off?

It might just be a message that can be ignored but not sure - someone on here would know more there.

So that's what they're for :)

That would get rid of the message for sure and mentions BMW in the spiel!

As for the hard wiring, don't worry too much as you should be able to get away with add a circuits which just plug into existing fuse wiring so when you want to remove it there's nothing to indicate anything was changed. No wire splicing or anything required.

I guess the other question is where is the fuse box as some BMWs have them at the back of the car I think?

Is there any other systems that have this type of parking mode and power connection? I like the "connect it and forget it" convenience.

Back