Parking Mode - Do you need a larger capacity MicroSD card?

djxpress

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thinking about running the PowerCell 8 to have parking mode on my new 139 Pro. I've never done parking mode before, and plan on getting the wiring that just plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet vs. hardwiring. I am currently using a SanDisk Max Endurance 256 GB card since the brand is on the recommended list. Will 256 GB be enough? I usually drive less than an hour/day. Car will be sitting at work or at the gym when I'm not parked at home in my garage. I see Viofo has 512 and 1TB cards, but they're pretty expensive and San Disk doesn't make cards with higher capacity than 256 GB in the Max Endurance series.

Wondering how quickly the 256 GB card will start overwriting if I start using parking mode with low bitrate recording vs auto event detection?

It depend a little on what parking guard mode you use.
I prefer low bitrate, which record all the time, it have sound too but as it is low bitrate the files are 1/3 or so of normal recording files, those files end up in among the regular footage, so they will just get recycled if the card fill up and even older footage have been deleted too. so it dont really matter much i think.

Alternative other modes might put the events in the RO folder where they are locked, but typically that is a dynamic storage space assigned for events, and when it is full it will also recycle those, but as its 30 % of the memory space or so, there are room for plenty of events unless you use some setting that just keep triggering for nothing.

I do just use parking guard for 3 hours on the build in timer in the dashcams, CUZ at home i have CCTV on my parked car, in a pitch black back yard so a dashcam would see nothing there anyway, even if there is a PIR LED light there.
My CCTV camera are zoomed in optical so i just have my car in frame, and it have AI motion detect so only human shape or vehicle shape within 3-4 feet of my car will trigger a notification on my phone or tablet on bedside table.
No false events as i film from my 2 floor apartment, so in a 40 deg downward angle to my car, so nothing in the background.

I feel 256 GB are fine for me, most often i have regular footage going back 14 days, and the RO folder where events go due to me pressing event button, well i only go there once a month for footage, and even older stuff i have already used are still there too.

I do not use G-sensor when driving, but i do have it on while parked aside the low bitrate recording, to lock things if something actually happen.

Back