Parking mode with Battery

mmicky5050

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have narrowed my search down to Garmin and Nextbase. I want parking mode but I don’t want to hardwire because it’s not a good idea to take the cars battery to high and low cycles

I like that the nextbase can be hooked up to a battery pack for parking mode but seems like the garmin cannot be. Has anyone figured out if the garmin parking mode wires can be adjusted to attach to a battery pack for parking mode? Strange that garmin wouldn’t allow that.

Nextbase reviews are so so whereas every Garmin product I have has lasted me years with little or no issues.

I wouldn't touch a Nextbase camera if you paid me to be honest. In principle its a good piece of kit let down by shocking and unreliable software. As long as you wire the Garmin in using the Garmin wiring harness you will not have any problems, baffles me would you would want to faff about with battery packs?

If you want to air of the side of caution, just move the bridging bar inside the little box on the Garmin harness to increase the cut off voltage, no fuss, no bother....

thank you for the responses. issue is 1. i have a hybrid and in no way am I messing with its fuses or battery 2. its a really bad idea to take the car battery through high and low cycles especially if you, like me, live in an urban city with lots of traffic and motion 3. garmin cameras are reported to run hot on parking mode, which is another reason to have a safe battery pack in case of a failure

the battery packs, especially the newer lithium phosphate packs, of which there are plenty, are such a neat solution. They dont have any of the dangers of lithium ion batteries and can literally run parking mode for at least 3-5 days. I wouldnt be surprised if they become mainstream and start selling under 50 in a couple of years.

the ridiculous garmin parking kit should have been made compatible with standalone battery packs

As BTBR said.

I do not see that the Garmin parking mode cable is "ridiculous" at all. I have 2 of them in my vehicle (forward and rear facing cameras) and they have worked outstanding with no issues whatsoever. Nor have I had any issues with the vehicles battery as a result of the Garmins.

Haha I was like that some years ago when I first got my garmin fenix - defending it to all the Apple fan boys.

Anyways, YouTube is full of horror stories about garmin dashcams heating up to the point of boiling when in parking mode. I’d rather an external battery pack takes that brunt than the car battery

Not an Apple fan boy here. Don't even know what it is.

I've never had any issues of my "garmin dashcams heating up to the point of boiling when in parking mode". Summers here get over 100 degrees.

Oh, and I've had multiple Garmin dashcams for years with no issues.

Build it and report back how it all turned out.

Anyways, YouTube is full of horror stories about garmin dashcams heating up to the point of boiling when in parking mode. I’d rather an external battery pack takes that brunt than the car battery
the Garmin Mini overheats when used in parking mode, haven't seen similar reports of their other models, heat or not makes no difference whether it was powered by the vehicle battery or an external battery

Not an Apple fan boy here. Don't even know what it is.

I've never had any issues of my "garmin dashcams heating up to the point of boiling when in parking mode". Summers here get over 100 degrees.

Oh, and I've had multiple Garmin dashcams for years with no issues.

Build it and report back how it all turned out.
that’s what I wanted to know. Is there a converter that can convert the three wire input of the garmin parking kit to a USB or similar port for a battery pack connection. Apparently the garmin won’t go into parking mode without the kit.

the other thing that’s annoying is why you need earth for a camera that can easily run on lower voltage. GoPros do it with an internal battery, in much harsher environments, with much sophisticated resolution, FPS n stabilisation ... I run 4K on my GoPro for hours while it’s connected to a battery pack with no issues

the ideal setup would be a blackvue 900 4K front and rear, with 4G lte for cloud connectivity and a blackvue lithium phosphate battery pack. That entire setup is just too expensive -at around 1k£

prices need to come down

Last edited:
To be honest, I have my parking mode turned off when the car is on the driveway. If I don't turn it off when its on the drive, then it picks up every person that walks past with a dog and seemingly every leaf that just happens to blow past the windscreen. So it only gets turned on if we go out somewhere or go shopping etc. So it might be on for maybe five or six hours at any one time, apart from possibly holidays when it would be on all the time? I've had mine a couple of years and in two different vehicles and the only problem I've had was last year in the heatwave and the dam mount kept coming of the screen.

Back