Picture not well focused - how to correct?

Joghurtbecher

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello,

I got myself a Powerucc II(II s) from Ebay (through the seller, recommended here), but the picture is unevenly focused. As you can see on the attached still, the left side and the middle of the picture arequite blurry, while the right side is decently focused. Note that the still was taken from the video file and that all cars are stationary. So no motion blur is occurring.

The blur covers the left and middle third of the picture. The number plate of the car in front is already quite hard to read and the car after that is hopeless. As one can see, the road sign on the right, as well as mast at the right are well focused. Also note the trees in the background, on the right, a lot of detail is visible, on the left it's a blurry mess.

This is of course disappointing, since the cam is expensive and sending it back will certainly be a hassle and cost more money. My hope is, that I can readjust the lens myself, even if it voids the warranty.

I checked whether the lens came lose, but could not find any indication. Furthermore, I installed higher bit-rate FW, without any visible reduction in blurriness. Also, the detail of the picture on the right is quite good, even at (Autobahn) speed, so with a well adjusted lens, the picture quality would certainly be very good. Therefore, Id like to rescue the cam.

Are there any instructions around, how the manually adjust the lens? I've read from some people, who said they did it, but could not find any instructions, how to do it.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2014-04-24-13h32m34s17.jpg
    vlcsnap-2014-04-24-13h32m34s17.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 41
I configured focus and eliminate "soap" Blackvue 400,500, 550 и Panorama S, maybe later I'll post instructions

First check outer part of the lens if they are completely clean. Those are fish-eye type lens and some time just quick cloth wipe will not clean them completely from all "dirt". Even if touch lens with fingers and then wipe with cloth can not fully help. Need lens cleaning liquid.

If after proper cleaning still can see blur, then its focus adjustment issue. But first go trough all proper cleaning steps.

First check outer part of the lens if they are completely clean. Those are fish-eye type lens and some time just quick cloth wipe will not clean them completely from all "dirt". Even if touch lens with fingers and then wipe with cloth can not fully help. Need lens cleaning liquid.

If after proper cleaning still can see blur, then its focus adjustment issue. But first go trough all proper cleaning steps.

Thank you, I tried cleaning, but I will check again to be sure!

Check on nice sunny day. I know from past experience that in shade some time can not see all thin layers of fingerprints "leftovers" especially on the edges of fish-eye lens.
Also had similar "unfocused" issue some time in the morning when taking dashcam from cold to hot, some mist was created on lens until car warmed up, but I guess in your case this is not an issue.

if the lens is clean then I'd be checking to see if it is actually seated correctly, being off focus on one side only is very unusual

perhaps playground lens on the board has the gap 1-2 мм

Everything connected with disassembly and focus on the lens, you are on your own risk!
The possible loss of warranty!

e4d5cd1ce7cf.jpg

5a1ba4e6587c.jpg

d851378e5a21.jpg

7c033ec0dbf4.jpg

2fd0e7c1982f.jpg

8124fc252dc7.jpg

a361d1f8c63b.jpg

3501b92fd529.jpg

2f9eb599c1ee.jpg

6f39a105675f.jpg

aee2a04e81fd.jpg

a4d9c3e61af9.jpg

Original: http://yadi.sk/d/nxSbkS3CKiVd3

Last edited:
Thanks alexsoll :) I will see, what can be done. Since the weather is very sunny today, I did some recordings and tried cleaning the lens thoroughly. The cleaning didn't improve things and with perfect sunlight the picture is as bad as before.

Judging from your pictures, alexsoll, and from the nature of the blurr (left out of focus, right in focus), I wouldn't be surprised, if the left connection from the black lens "socket" on the circuit board has come loose or is fixed incorrectly, tilting the lens in relation to the sensor. I can't look into it further, as I have a longer journey in front of me tomorrow and have to prepare things for it. Once I'm back home, I'll investigate and report back. Until then, thanks to everybody for your advice :)

Back