Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering what external battery I could plug the Mobius into:

Can I plug my Mobius into an External Battery by USB like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B008YRG5JQ
or does it have to be 1A max output like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B005VBNW2G
I want to obviously keep it charged for hours outside, away from any cars etc. Also what is the max SD card I can use? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Either one will work. The battery output needs to supply 1 amp minimum for the Mobius but otherwise the camera will draw what it needs from a higher amperage output power source.

I use a similar battery for parking mode when away from my vehicle and to remote power the Mobius for things such as wildlife observation and occasional short term portable surveillance on my rural property. You can get many, many hours of recordings with up to two cameras with this type of battery if it has sufficient mAh capacity such as the first one you linked to. Another popular one is the Anker Astro E5 (15,000 mAh ).

Edit: Note that you will need a USB-A male to mini-B male 5pin USB cable to connect the Mobius to this type of battery such as this 10 foot example from Monoprice.com.

Monoprice sells these cables in the UK via Amazon.

Last edited:
A 64 GB SDXC Card should work in the Mobius,

You need to format the microSD Card with SDformatter 4.0, using the settings FULL (erase) and format size adjustment ON.

Edit: There is much discussion here at DCT about this subject among people who have more knowledge and hands on experience with 64 GB cards in the Mobius. Try some searching on the topic.

Last edited:
I was wondering what external battery I could plug the Mobius into:

Can I plug my Mobius into an External Battery by USB like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B008YRG5JQ
or does it have to be 1A max output like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B005VBNW2G
I want to obviously keep it charged for hours outside, away from any cars etc. Also what is the max SD card I can use? Thanks in advance for any answers.
Make sure your USB power supply doesn't use the data wires. If it does, the camera will think it's connected to a PC. For external power you only need 2 wires, pin #1 and pin #5.
A 128GB card should also work, at least the Sandisks I have tested so far work perfectly. Don't forget the full format and to set the size adjustment if you use loop recording.

So far, I haven't encountered or heard of any external USB battery pack that does use the data wires, but of course, it's possible. These packs are almost universally designed with safety features such as overcharging protection, low voltage cut-off and auto-shut down on disconnect. In other words, they are intended to be used as batteries and back-up chargers. I believe people can purchase these type of battery packs to run the Mobius or other cameras with confidence unless we see evidence to the contrary.

Isoprop, have you seen actual examples of such a pack that engages the data wires or are you just expressing a general concern and caution? Perhaps I'm missing something here or there is an issue I'm unaware of.

Last edited:
So far, I haven't encountered or heard of any external USB battery pack that does use the data wires, but of course, it's possible. These packs are almost universally designed with safety features such as overcharging protection, low voltage cut-off and auto-shut down on disconnect. In other words, they are intended to be used as batteries and back-up chargers. I believe people can purchase these type of battery packs to run the Mobius or other cameras with confidence unless we see evidence to the contrary.

Isoprop, have you seen actual examples of such a pack that engages the data wires or are you just expressing a general concern and caution? Perhaps I'm missing something here or there is an issue I'm unaware of.
After there were a good number of reports in the main Mobius RCGroups thread of the Mobius not starting correctly with various USB power packs I checked one of my own Just Mobile battery packs and found there was indeed a signal on the data wires. Apple also have various different signals on the data wires. Here's a quote from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroUSB#Power):
"Before the battery charging specification was defined, there was no standardized way for the portable device to inquire how much current was available. For example, Apple's iPod and iPhone chargers indicate the available current by voltages on the D− and D+ lines. When D+ = D− = 2.0 V, the device may pull up to 500 mA. When D+ = 2.0 V and D− = 2.8 V, the device may pull up to 1 A of current.[76] When D+ = 2.8 V and D− = 2.0 V, the device may pull up to 2 A of current.[77]"
On the same page you'll also notice that Android also specifies that D+ and D- should be shorted with a resistor. The Mobius requires the D- and D+ to be open circuit, i.e. not connected.
I also have two USB Android battery chargers that don't work with my Mobius unless I use a 2-pin USB cable.

Isoprop , please give us a link for a such USB cable with 2 pins (1 and 5 ) . I have a Mobius and I am a newbie in electronics . Thank you

After there were a good number of reports in the main Mobius RCGroups thread of the Mobius not starting correctly with various USB power packs I checked one of my own Just Mobile battery packs and found there was indeed a signal on the data wires. Apple also have various different signals on the data wires. Here's a quote from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroUSB#Power):
"Before the battery charging specification was defined, there was no standardized way for the portable device to inquire how much current was available. For example, Apple's iPod and iPhone chargers indicate the available current by voltages on the D− and D+ lines. When D+ = D− = 2.0 V, the device may pull up to 500 mA. When D+ = 2.0 V and D− = 2.8 V, the device may pull up to 1 A of current.[76] When D+ = 2.8 V and D− = 2.0 V, the device may pull up to 2 A of current.[77]"
On the same page you'll also notice that Android also specifies that D+ and D- should be shorted with a resistor. The Mobius requires the D- and D+ to be open circuit, i.e. not connected.
I also have two USB Android battery chargers that don't work with my Mobius unless I use a 2-pin USB cable.

Thanks Isoprop. I wasn't really aware of this. (well, that would be nothing new :)). It sounds from the wikipedia entry that this specification has now been defined and updated. Would that mean that more recent devices are more likely to be compatible? So, for example I have a generic lithium pack I bought on Amazon and it works properly with the Mobius and every dash camera I've hooked it up to with various cables (5 pin) and even charges my iPad properly with no problems using Apple's Lightning to USB cable. The unit runs until it reaches its low voltage cut-off point, turns itself off if there is no load or detects that the device it is charging comes up to voltage. It can happily run two Mobius cams for many hours. I thought they would all do this today.

Last edited:
I believe you would need to modify an existing USB cable to have only the 1 and 5 pins connections.

Thanks Isoprop. I wasn't really aware of this. (well, that would be nothing new :)). It sounds from the wikipedia entry that this specification has now been defined and updated. Would that mean that more recent devices are more likely to be compatible? So, for example I have a generic lithium pack I bought on Amazon and it works properly with the Mobius and every dash camera I've hooked it up to with various cables (5 pin) and even charges my iPad properly with no problems using Apple's Lightning to USB cable. The unit runs until it reaches its low voltage cut-off point, turns itself off if there is no load or detects that the device it is charging comes up to voltage. It can happily run two Mobius cams for many hours. I thought they would all do this today.
I don't have a problem (unless I look for it) because I always make my own cables, but from the posts I've read most original Apple cables don't work and some Android cables don't work either. I'm sorry I can't give you a better reply. Always use 2-wire (cut the blue and white wires) cables and you'll be OK. Blue and white could be a different color......
The test is easy. If, when using external power, your camera doesn't react as it should, then most likely the power supply uses the data wires.

I don't have a problem (unless I look for it) because I always make my own cables, but from the posts I've read most original Apple cables don't work and some Android cables don't work either. I'm sorry I can't give you a better reply. Always use 2-wire (cut the blue and white wires) cables and you'll be OK. Blue and white could be a different color......
The test is easy. If, when using external power, your camera doesn't react as it should, then most likely the power supply uses the data wires.

Where I come from there is an old saying,......."If it ain't broke, then don't fix-it". So, as I've reported, all my Mobius cams and dash cams seem to work and run just fine with any well made 5pin USB-A to mini-B cables I've used and even my iPad charges nicely from the same external USB power pack using an Apple Lightning-to-USB cable. So speaking for myself, I have no plans to start cutting or modifying any USB cables until or unless there is a specific need. Of course, others may encounter a different experience (perhaps using a different USB external battery pack) and it is good to know that cutting the data wires will fix this problem, so thank you Isoprop for your valuable expertise, as usual.

P.S. I'm curious to know how old the posts to the RCgroups about this problem were and whether there is a possibility some more recents battery pack products may have introduced some changes.

how many working hours those External Batterys gives?

It would depend on the capacity of the battery and the amount of energy drawn by the device. The higher the mAh, (milliamp hours) the greater the capacity and the longer the battery will last before losing its charge. Milliamps Hour is 1/1000th of an Amp Hour, so 1000mAh = 1.0Ah. So, in "theory" a 15,000 mAh external battery pack like the Anker Astro E5 should power a 1 amp (1000mAh) Mobius cam for 15 hours. In practice, not so, as there are many other factors at play such as the condition of the battery, its state of charge, its actual capacity, discharge rate, its age, the ambient temperature, the resistance of the cables, internal resistance, the electronics controlling the battery, the load from particular device you are running, etc. All of these things would effect the actual number of working hours of service you could get from the battery. Also, keep in mind that real-world capacity is always significantly lower than the advertised capacity of these external battery packs (and virtually all rechargeable batteries for that matter). The working capacity is usually far lower and beyond this, it will also fluctuate and slowly diminish throughout the lifetime of the battery. If the battery is stored in a hot environment like a car it will lose long term capacity even faster and have a shorter working lifetime than if stored in a cooler place. Good charging practices will also have a bearing on how well the battery will perform and how long it will live.

So, the answer to the question is that it is really hard to know exactly how many hours you would get from an external battery until you actually test each battery with your particular device but you can have confidence that a battery rated 10,000 mAh to 15,000 mAh should still provide many hours of use under normal conditions.

I'm no expert in this stuff. I'll bet someone like Isoprop could offer a better, more thorough and accurate explanation of how battery capacity works.

An excellent source of information about all aspects of batteries can be found at Battery University.

Last edited:
I think that typical Mobius draw is about 500mAh, briefly rising to nearer 1000mAh when writing data to the memory card.

Yeah, that sounds right. I was thinking in terms of the rule of thumb requirement that you supply 1 amp minimum to the camera.

Russ, have you tested the limits of runtime on your Anker with a Mobius?

The most I've done is to use my Anker Astro E4 13000mAh to power Mobius overnight when my car was in a hotel car park. After around 10 hours use from fully charged, 3 of the 4 charge indicator LEDs on the Anker were lit, indicating it still held between 50% to 75% charge.

The most I've done is to use my Anker Astro E4 13000mAh to power Mobius overnight when my car was in a hotel car park. After around 10 hours use from fully charged, 3 of the 4 charge indicator LEDs on the Anker were lit, indicating it still held between 50% to 75% charge.

Thanks! I think your reply does a whole lot more to answer @alexdangelo888's simple question than my long winded post. :)

When I get a little time later, I will try to explain about the somewhat unusual external battery I ended up purchasing and why it was harder to answer this question.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, about that battery I mentioned above......

Thanks to @russ331 often mentioning his experience with the Anker Astro E4 external battery pack I decided to buy one. Of course, the Astro E5 had been introduced with greater capacity and that seemed appealing too, although more costly.
So, I clicked my way over to Amazon to buy one and somehow stumbled onto the Lenoge 50,000mAh Universal Portable Power Bank selling for a mere $22.14 USD with free shipping. My first thought was to dismiss such a product out of hand as piece of junk making unrealistic claims about its capacity but somehow it gave me pause and I spent a day or two thinking it over and decided to throw caution to the wind and buy the thing. What the heck, it's only twenty two bucks...How bad can it be? One of its interesting features is that it is a lithium-polymer battery which offers a slight safety advantage over the traditional 18650 cells usually used in this type of pack.

I've had this thing for several months now and I've been quite amazed by it for the price. It turned out to be solidly built, it works flawlessly and reliably and it cranks! It has over-voltage protection and auto shut-off when charging and turns off automatically when it detects that there is no load connected. My only complaint is that if I plug in a Mobius without remembering to press the on button it will start recording anyway. This isn't really a problem except that you end up with a hum on the audio. You have to remember to turn the unit on until the blue LEDs light and at that point it engages the circuitry that filters the noise and you get perfectly clean audio. I guess these things weren't designed with dash cams in mind. While I doubt that the battery is really meeting its rated capacity of 50,000 mAh but it could easily be half that or possibly more. I've noticed that some reviewers on Amazon who complain about the capacity seem to not know how to properly charge and care for this type of battery, especially during this first few charge cycles. Every time I think about testing to see just how long it will run a Mobius or other dash cam I end up abandoning the idea for lack of patience. When the battery first arrived with a partial charge, I deep drained it before the first full charge as part of the break-in procedure as recommended by the manufacturer. I hooked up an old dash cam and left it run overnight. The next morning the camera was still running and I still had two blue indicator LEDs of power with the second one flashing. It is a good idea to deep drain this type of battery pack (but not completely) when new and then give it a full charge. Then occasionally (every few months) do this again. This is called battery calibration and will give you better performance and battery life in the long run.

So now, I regularly use the pack to run both my front and rear dash cams in parking mode when away from my vehicle for as long as I want and I sometimes use it to charge my iPad via a standard Apple Lightning to USB cable. (it has one 2.1 amp USB socket and one 1 amp socket)

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have had the occasion to use this battery pack to do short term surveillance (a few hours) out on my rural property using a Mobius. I also use it in a similar manner to observe and film wildlife with a camouflaged Mobius.

This is a generic Chinese battery pack sold under many different names on Amazon and a wide range of prices. I found one selling on Amazon for $15.00 and another popular one going under the name AllPowers for $36.99. They appear to ALL be same battery and they all apparently come from the same factory.

So, if you are looking for a decent reliable external battery pack for a low price, you wouldn't go wrong with one of these.

If you are looking for more of a "brand named", perhaps higher end product The Wirecutter recently published an excellent review of a number of these external USB battery packs including the Anker E5 which unfortunately had a significant flaw. I really don't know how the Lenoge battery would hold up in this review other than the fact that it is probably bigger and heavier than the competition but then again it boasts more than 4 or 5 times the average capacity of the others at half the price. I also don't know how it would stack up in terms of other criteria like the time it takes to charge but I have no complaints.

Last edited:
Back