Plugging Mobius into an External Battery by USB

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently planning to purchase two Mobius dash cams with super capacitors and install one in the front and the other into rear window and use them permanently in MD mode. I wonder if anyone has successfully installed an external battery (e.g. ~10,000-20,000 mAh) into a car to extend the camera running time in MD mode when the car is parked for a longer time?

I have planned to use a power safety device like Lukas LK-290 to protect the car battery, but I'd like to extend the maximum camera running time (and also to save the car battery a little bit) by installing a separate external lithium battery between the car battery and the dash cam.

After searching for a while the internet for a proper external battery I found that they seem to have a power button or something alike to enable the power output. That would effectively ruin my idea since the battery and cam should be run without regular user operation after installed. Another possible problem is that I'm not sure if the external batteries are capable of being charged as well as providing power to the cam at the same time.

And yet another thing to consider might be when the external battery has been run empty: How soon after starting the car will an empty external battery be able to provide the needed +5V 0,5 A output?

Any practical experience or good ideas on this would be greatly appreciated...

I'm considering this battery pack to power 1-2 Mobius/808 #16 cams. It supports pass-through charging, and 2A on the input. I can't tell if it requires a button press to turn on, so I have more research to do, but posted here in case someone already tried this battery pack.

I guess it's time for a thread which lists all battery packs compatible with dash cam setups, and can handle the temps in a vehicle.

I'm considering this battery pack to power 1-2 Mobius/808 #16 cams. It supports pass-through charging, and 2A on the input. I can't tell if it requires a button press to turn on, so I have more research to do, but posted here in case someone already tried this battery pack.

I guess it's time for a thread which lists all battery packs compatible with dash cam setups, and can handle the temps in a vehicle.

The pass-through charging seems like a nice feature. I haven't seen that before on one of these.

I have a pack from costco. 8000mah. runs for 15-18 hours. the mobius turns on as soon as I plug it in to the battery, no buttons needed on the pack.

So does it support pass- through charging? Do you have enough power to top the battery off while running the cam? What's the make/model? ;)

I found some DIRT CHEAP versions on eBAY. Activate as soon as something is plugged in.

Regarding charging. It will depend on the specs - I.e what you're powering off the battery and what the max battery charge current is.
If you draw more than the battery will charge at - the battery will drain.

example
[QUOTESpecifications:
Built-in battery: 10000mAh Li-polymer battery
Solar panel: Polycrystalline silicon, 1.5W
Input: 5V 1A
Output: 5V 2.1A][/QUOTE]

If you draw more than 1A - it wont charge the battery as well. Draw 0.5A - you'll charge the battery too.

In a car - it's easier to get a hardwire kit - and add a second small car/motorcycle battery with a split charge system.

Hello,

I tried using a powerbank with a dashcam as external battery but it seems that the "bank" has not enough "power" because the screen is blinking and even when I close it it does not record, but when I plug again the dashcam directly to the car it works.

Is it possible that a powerbank (a big one, 30000 mha) does not provide enough energy to use it on a dashcam ?

And do you know what is the dashcam that is using the minimum energy ?

Thank you for your help.

In a car - it's easier to get a hardwire kit - and add a second small car/motorcycle battery with a split charge system.

You want to buy a deep cycle battery. They are made to take deep discharge cycles. The typical car battery will not live as long as a deep cycle battery under these conditions.

I just received my new power bank ordered from banggood: Xiaomi 10400mAh Can't hardly wait to try some tests with Mobius MD during night, especially how many hours it can record when it's fully charged.

LE: Got it for 17,99 USD.

So far I managed to keep the Mobius on MD (with Xiaomi) during the night for aprox. 10h and 40min and still had 50% left from the baterry (at least that's what the leds indicate :))
Pretty satisfied from this point of view.

LE: Oh yeah, and it supports pass-through charging also.

Last edited:
Thanks! I've been doing some research and wanted to make sure.

For the members looking for extended run time when the car is parked up I would recommend hardwiring the cameras over power banks, for a while I was using battery power but it becomes too much of a pain remembering to keep them charged etc, plus once all the wires are hidden the cameras are quite discrete.

If you are looking to have a stand alone battery that can run your cameras while the car is off, this one might do the trick.
The QC Port outputs 5V/3.0, so run a Wye-cable and connect both cameras.
Pass through charging.
And if you plug a QC 3.0 12v charger into your car's 12v port that's powered only when the car is on, you would not kill your main car battery when the car is off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0186BHXCM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01DDJOBKEhttps://www.amazon.com/Zendure-Port...3104070&sr=8-8&keywords=pass-through+charging
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00NIGO4NM

Back