PNY 128MB micro XC1 Fail

PNY cards have normally been ok, trouble with brands like PNY is you don't know who makes the cards for them and it can change, I prefer to use a top tier manufacturer for this reason

Could you mention who you consider to be top tier manufacturers? I know Transcend is mentioned a lot on these forums, but I'm wondering who else to consider.

Could you mention who you consider to be top tier manufacturers? I know Transcend is mentioned a lot on these forums, but I'm wondering who else to consider.

Transcend, Lexar, Toshiba, Samsung (not sure about the quality of Samsung's entry level models though)

Transcend, Lexar, Toshiba, Samsung (not sure about the quality of Samsung's entry level models though)

Some Toshiba TVs sold in the UK are rebranded Vestel TVs. Makes me doubtful about Toshiba being the manufacturer of all of their memory cards.

Some Toshiba TVs sold in the UK are rebranded Vestel TVs. Makes me doubtful about Toshiba being the manufacturer of all of their memory cards.

just about every brand of electronics you can name has some products in their range that carry their name that they do not manufacture themselves

just about every brand of electronics you can name has some products in their range that carry their name that they do not manufacture themselves

Maybe so but, being aware of this deception practised by Toshiba on their customers, I'm wary of buying anything bearing their brand name. Same goes for Blaupunkt, Hitachi, JVC, Sharp, etc.

Last edited:
Maybe so but, being aware of this deception practised by Toshiba on their customers, I'm wary of buying anything bearing their brand name. Same goes for Blaupunkt, Hitachi, etc.

Blaupunkt is just a licensed brand these days, pay your money and you can buy the rights to have the name on just about anything and make it wherever you want, lots of brands doing that now, sometimes these arrangements exist in some markets and not others, even in the same category of goods, companies might buy the rights to use the brand just for a specific region or country

As to Vestel look through the list of brands that they manufacture for, plenty of name brands there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestel some are only for the EU market but a lot of this has to do with taxes and anti dumping laws in Europe, send the parts from Asia and manufacture in Turkey allows them to be competitive in the market, quite a lot of brand name 'European made' goods come out of China in CKD/SKD form and are assembled in parts of Europe for tax reasons and or marketing purposes

Samsung EVO cards don't work well with the SG9665GC and would result in heavy corruption and random periods of no recordings. Transcend, at the least the one that came with my cam, went into read only mode on day 3 or use (probably a fluke). Currently using a PNY with no issues, but Lexar is my backup.

Hold on a second - if Transcend is stating their cards cannot be used in Dashcams like PNY, and Street Guardian is using the Red/Black cards that aren't supposed to be used for Dashcams, why aren't they using the Gold/Black cards that are supported, even if they are a bit more? Seems ironic...

*facepalm*
I assumed Transcend had the same warranty policy - my bad.
But, it does say this:

"During the warranty period, should your Transcend product(s) fail under normal use in the recommended environment due to improper workmanship or materials, Transcend will provide warranty service pursuant to the following terms and conditions."

They also say it is void if exposed to extreme humidity or temperature, i.e. a Dashcam.

Maybe that's just blanket legalese, I dunno...

Example. Like I said, blanket legalese, so it could cover anything they want it to I guess.

Example. Like I said, blanket legalese, so it could cover anything they want it to I guess.

we buy our cards directly from the Transcend factory in Taiwan and they cover them under warranty for dashcam use, they know exactly what we buy them for

That's interesting. But, I just came across this part I missed (only was looking at the very top of the Warranty):

http://us.transcend-info.com/Warranty

Limited Lifetime Warranty
The following Transcend Products are covered by this Warranty for the life of the product:

• Memory Module series; and
  • The following products which was originally purchased after January 1st, 2006:
    A. SD/MMC/CF memory cards*; and
    B. JetFlash series (except for JetFlash 210/220).
    *The Lifetime Warranty will not apply to any Transcend memory cards used in write-intensive applications, including but not limited to the following (as determined by Transcend): (i) recursive / in-car recording devices, (ii) video monitoring and surveillance devices, (iii) continuous data logging devices like servers, or (iv) other excessive uses that exceed normal use.
Kinda weird they say that, then they are fine with selling you them, LOL...maybe a bulk vs. consumer thing...it doesn't matter really, just interesting.

Kinda weird they say that, then they are fine with selling you them, LOL...maybe a bulk vs. consumer thing...it doesn't matter really, just interesting.

I got it off them in writing so that's all I'm concerned about

that said memory cards are a consumable and will wear out eventually, normal wear and tear isn't warranty

Samsung EVO cards don't work well with the SG9665GC and would result in heavy corruption and random periods of no recordings. Transcend, at the least the one that came with my cam, went into read only mode on day 3 or use (probably a fluke). Currently using a PNY with no issues, but Lexar is my backup.
again, everyone has different experiences, I have been running a transcend and Samsung evo in these cams for quite some time now and they have been rock solid.

Interesting enough this evening two of the 128gb Transcend cards won't work anymore in my SG.
Only had them about 4 months too.

Going to try Lexar this time.

Ah, neat.
Have a link by any chance?

Back