Polarizing filter

jonat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It figures - less than two days after I order Garmin's mini suction mount for the 55, and checking to see what else they might offer, they introduce a polarizing filter for the 45/55. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod629297.html If I had known that I would have ordered them both and had free shipping.

Nice. I'm glad Garmin is finally taking dash cams seriously.

Is there any reason why you would prefer the suction mount as opposed to the magnetic mount.
It's nice to have other - non permanrnt options for mounting (testing, rental cars, etc.)

Exactly. The magnetic mount is fine for my own car, but if I want to use the cam in a rental, I need the suction mount.

Hi all. Longtime lurker, first time poster. I too am a Garmin DC55 owner. Love the cam, also bought the filter and the suction mount. I needed the suction mount for traveling with the hubbie's car. Love it and have not had any issues with it.

Hi all. Longtime lurker, first time poster. I too am a Garmin DC55 owner. Love the cam, also bought the filter and the suction mount. I needed the suction mount for traveling with the hubbie's car. Love it and have not had any issues with it.
I think I will buy the filter as it would cover the gold ring on the front of the camera, make it a bit more discrete.

Do you guys get seamless video when playing back the footage.

Not seamless but it 'autoplays' on my computer. There is a half second of buffering when switching to the next 1 minute segment when playing from the camera. If I remove the card and play directly on the computer through a card reader, it plays seamlessly.

I believe there is one second overlap between segments - pretty standard in dash cam industry.

Typical as things may seem, it happens the world over. Just unlucky in the timing...

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with the polarizer. Both daytime and nightime shots look good and glare is definitely reduced. A bonus is that it covers up the gold ring on the 55's lens!

How is it attached? Can you turn it after installation?

It just pushes on, but I’d recommend pulling it off and repositioning. The fit is tight enough that I don’t suggest twisting it.

It just pushes on, but I’d recommend pulling it off and repositioning. The fit is tight enough that I don’t suggest twisting it.
How do you adjust it after the installation?

Pull it off then adjust.

Does it need adjusted? I placed it on the cam with the notch lined up at the top of the lens and the word Garmin at the bottom. I haven't watched any of the recorded videos since I've had it on yet.

No adjustment needed. Circular polarizers tend to not be picky about orientation. The way you have it set is the way it generally should be.

All polarizers I've had had to be adjusted. It's easy to test. Place a white sheet of paper on your dash, turn the screen on and turn the filter quarter way to either side.

Back