Police dash cam

scotty_in_farrell

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know anything about the cams that the cops use in their crusiers? These seem like top of the line cams for the most part. I know they save info onto a hard drive in the truck and are probably way out of my price range but I would like to know who makes these cams and the cost.

Is the cost so high because of the hard drive or the camera itself?

8000 dollars for a patrolcam, 20,000 for a toilet seat, if it is not how the dark budget is made some ppl should be ashamed stealing from the goverment like that.
And not forgetting a lot of politicians should be ashamed over getting roobbed in broad daylight.

Its the same here " that new bridge will cost 4 billion and be build in 3 years" and it end up with a near 5 billion prize and take allmost 5 years to build.

I have never heard of any major building / investment from any Danish goverment that havent gone way over budget and take longer than planned. :(

If you remove the word Danish from your statement, it'll be much more accurate ;)

One item that likely at least doubles the cost is calibration and traceability. I wouldn't want my livelyhood dependant upon a $100 device available to all consumers and don't object to authorities using more robust and supervised gear. 20+years ago I roomed with a mechanic who serviced city police cars. He noted the cost of the base vehicle is secondary to the gear. On the other hand, Police originated the dash cam.

Thankfully, the $100 gear available to the average joe holds water.

Today USA boots on the ground Police personel face near prejudicial scrutiny. Since I can't get through a day without making a mistake, I have only compassion and support for those who chose to spend their days with the worst of us for the benefit of the rest.

On a discouraging note, I asked a local trooper what he thought of the new GM Caprice cruiser. Asside from being fast, he called it the worst he had in 35 years. It's just too tight. Apparently GM thought about everthing except the guy who uses it 40+ hours a week. Discouraging because GM built my preferred rides for thirty years.

As somebody with a public sector background, I might be able to shed a little bit of light on some high-cost public procurements. Sorry for the long post, but it's relevant to almost anything that you see the public sector buying, and you wonder why they spent so much money on it......

Structural Costs:
1) If you have to buy a lot of something (eg. $25K+), you need to put it out to tender. (reasons: proving that you're spending the public's money wisely, ensuring other companies have an opportunity to get public contracts).
2) You have to carefully specify exactly what you want, otherwise you'll get something that can't do what you need. This makes the procurement complex; bidders will have to guess at what the public agency's true intentions are, and might over-spec their solution. Similarly, the public agency might want all the bells and whistles, and therefore will write excess requirements into the spec.
3) The bidders expend a great time of time and money to put together their bids; depending on the complexity of a given procurement, it could cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars just to prepare a bid package. There is an aspect of rent-seeking behaviour here-- if a bidder wins on average one in three bids, their proposal will probably build in 3x the bid preparation cost.
4) So if you are a local police agency seeking 40 or 50 camera systems, it's entirely possible that there's $1,000 per system built into the bid cost, just for doing the bid proposals.

Equipment/Labour Costs:
5) Public agency generally expects the private sector to take on a lot of risks, and those costs get built into the cost of the units. Maybe they want a 5-year warranty, with 24-hour replacements. The cost of inventory and replacement of bad units gets built into the unit cost.
6) Maintenance and Service: this can often be built into the cost of the units. Federal money's probably paying for the purchase, so may as well find a way to have the Feds pay for maintenance.
6) Public agency generally wants a stable company, so that they can be assured of their existence 4.5 years down the road. Stable companies tend to have healthy profit margins.
7) Software, software, software: the cost of developing the software and having a system that will work with other systems at the public agency is built into a small number of units. This is also one of the risks that a bidder builds into their price-- maybe the software integration will be easy, maybe not. So bid it based on the difficult scenario; if it's easy, you walk away with more profits in the end. If it's hard, at least you've covered your costs, and the public agency will be happy with the work you did, and will be a good reference to win further public sector bids.
8) Hardware: since the bidder has to support it for 5 years, they'll choose "proven" parts and suppliers-- forget about anything cutting-edge, unless you're willing to pay through the nose for it. Keep in mind that the hardware being produced in 5 years still has to be compatible with the hardware installed on day 1. You'll pay for this convenience.
9) Training: you'll have to train people at the public agency to operate/maintain these systems, and this costs money.
10) Remember that this isn't something useful to the general public, so your engineering costs can't be amortized over a large number of units-- and there's a lot of customization for this particular public agency that has to be amortized over this small order of camera systems.

Examples of customization that isn't particularly useful for the general public: access control (to videos), auditing (it knows who's seen any given video, who's modified it, who's deleted it, etc.), longer-term recording (my company records for 2-3 days; others might want weeks or months of recording), video storage and backup systems, connection to remote computers for automated backup, or for automated retrieval of desired footage.......

So at the end of all this, you'll have a camera system built on old technology, which you can count on to run for 5 years, but at 10x the cost of something simpler. And you did it this way in order to prove that you're spending the taxpayers' money wisely. Seems crazy, but it seems to help prevent corruption.

And from my perspective in my regular employment: if I can convince the funding authority that we need a particular system, they will approve it, with relatively little question of the costs that I budgeted, and I will successfully deliver the project. If instead I try to get a cheap solution that might not quite work, or might have significant drawbacks, but at a much lower cost, the risk of the project's failure is higher. If I fail to successfully deliver a project, I'll have difficulty getting funding for other projects in the future, and it may forever tarnish my record. Better to play it safe!

Always remember: "the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

The same is absolutely true for what happens in our market as well

A lot of people don't even get why something purchased locally costs more than it does buying out of China

The same is absolutely true for what happens in our market as well

A lot of people don't even get why something purchased locally costs more than it does buying out of China
cause its fake when its from china???

are there fake dahua cctv equipment?

I have seen some IP cameras witch seem to be using the same housings as dahua, but carrying other names.
Seem to be mostly bullet cams, but dome and the other factors is proberly the same.

My PTZ camera look like a Hikvision model aside from on mine the little light sensor sit above the lens, and 2 more IR ermitters have been crammed in under the lens.
Mine is allso claimed to have a (same as ) Hikvision lens module inside.

Back