Poor night quality

thescreensavers

Reaction score
Country
United States

@30 sec

The camera flickers this happens during all of my night videos.

Also the picture has a lot of noise

Looking at YouTube of other night videos they aren't grainy.

Is there a setting I missed?

It has the new one that came out 3ish months ago I will check tomorrow but even with the FW that came on the camera it was the same.

0.59 (I think) doesn't have the flicker, there have been a lot of other fixes though so whether or not that suits your needs I'm not sure

This one (with the modified settings on FW 2.18) is interesting. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29597037&postcount=11837

"FW 0.59 vs FW 2.18 with brightness 128 and contrast 50. In this last case, for a night use (I don't know what happens at midday...) the brightness is roughly the same in both cases, but the picture (and the video) is much more grainly with FW2.18"

791684comparfw059fw218lum128contr50.jpg

This one (with the modified settings on FW 2.18) is interesting. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29597037&postcount=11837

"FW 0.59 vs FW 2.18 with brightness 128 and contrast 50. In this last case, for a night use (I don't know what happens at midday...) the brightness is roughly the same in both cases, but the picture (and the video) is much more grainly with FW2.18"
These are different pictures taken at different times (30 mins. later) so are useless for comparison purposes.
For a true comparison you need two identical cameras with the same lens taking video at the same time from the same position.
From what I've read here, graininess and bad color is not as important as being able to read number plates.
Also, v0.59 is a non-runner for me because it has skipped frames (black frames) which could hide vital information.

@30 sec

The camera flickers this happens during all of my night videos.

Also the picture has a lot of noise

Looking at YouTube of other night videos they aren't grainy.

Is there a setting I missed?

Set the "artifical light frequency" to 60 Hz . Use firmware v 0.53 and set the camera to wide mode will give you cleaner low light images ( even with WDR on ).

These are different pictures taken at different times (30 mins. later) so are useless for comparison purposes.
For a true comparison you need two identical cameras with the same lens taking video at the same time from the same position.
From what I've read here, graininess and bad color is not as important as being able to read number plates.
Also, v0.59 is a non-runner for me because it has skipped frames (black frames) which could hide vital information.

I simply said it was interesting. A lot of the comparisons posted on here are taken days (even weeks) apart, but people make judgement calls saying one firmware is better than the other.

(PS: I'd be thinking 2.18 would be totally washed out during the day with those settings?)

Yes. At the end of the day everyone wants something different from their Mobius. To me, night time viewing is the thing I'd want to improve the most (and I'd sacrifice some daytime video quality to achieve it- I'm not trying to make movies for Hollywood! :) )

Back