Possible defective DR500GW-HD?

themyst

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, nub here.

My night time videos are nowhere as good as the ones advertised by pittasoft and on YouTube. I just wanted to get some feedback hopefully on what you guys think of my cam's nighttime performance. Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pittasoft`s promotional videos are shoot at bitrate of 10 Mbps, when our Blackvue 500 can pull out maximum 7,5 Mbps. Let`s hope some day the bitrate will be increased for us as well. So far you could try the brightness adjustment in settings. Also 1080p@30 fps, normal compression.

That is some good night video. The video shows good detail and clarity. Your camera looks good to me. For night time video, from a 2MP CMOS sensor, that is good video. There is nothing wrong with your camera.

linni said:
Pittasoft`s promotional videos are shoot at bitrate of 10 Mbps, when our Blackvue 500 can pull out maximum 7,5 Mbps. Let`s hope some day the bitrate will be increased for us as well. So far you could try the brightness adjustment in settings. Also 1080p@30 fps, normal compression.
Hi, why must put normal compression? What is the diff? By default, it set as high compression?

Dscheng said:
Hi, why must put normal compression? What is the diff? By default, it set as high compression?

High compression = 5 Mbps
Normal compression = 7,5 Mbps

I think the default compression rate was High.

You might want to mount your camera higher, point down a little and clean your windshield inside and out. My first nigh videos were "blown out", especially street lights until I made some adjustments and cleaned my windshield. Good luck.

My night video. Pardon me, as my windscreen is dirty lolz.
Is my mounting a high? If i adjust lower , it will capture my dash.

Yep, I knew I wasn't crazy. Thing is definitely defective....

1080p, 30fps, compression off.

Here's another one from today, no settings changes.

themyst said:
Thing is definitely defective....

1st video: BV 500 doesn`t like trees, they make the sensor push it`s limits -> reason of the hard pixeling.
2nd video: BV 500 doesn`t like the sky either, specially the sun - you have 2/3 of the screen filled with sky, the ratio should be opposite: 1/3.

Otherwise it`s ok. Make some adjustments, don`t think it`s defective.

Found some info on the Russian forum, turns out when Wifi is on, the unit will only record in 20fps, which explains the choppy video at times. Also, found out that there is a hack to enable higher bitrates than default... but it is not publicly available. Anyone know the process to get this? If the hack talk is forbidden here, please edit or delete this post, thank you.

Wifi doesnt affect the quality, but Live mode does (when accessing the Live view via Android/Apple app, Blackvue reduces fps from 30 to 20).
Not interested in hacked version myself.

My camera does that exact same thing every so often. The camera is trying to adjust due to the lighting conditions from the surrounding area. You still have good video quality after it adjusts. Remember, this camera does not have auto focus, so the CMOS sensor is trying to adjust the camera the best it can. Also, It compresses the video in .MP4 format. Do you have your camera sitting on your dash or on the top side of your window? Try sitting dead center on the dash and see of the glare goes down. I have mine sitting on my dash and the amout of glare is very little. Most front windows in most autos tend to reflec everything upward. I think it has something to do with the curve and angle of most front windows. Remember, most windows have some form of UV protection and are shatter proof for safety. You will never get a crystal clear video from inside looking out. You would need to mount the camera on the outside of the car to get the best video quality.

AmericanDriver said:
You will never get a crystal clear video from inside looking out. You would need to mount the camera on the outside of the car to get the best video quality.

that would actually be the best. external cams with internal recording box. kind of like how laser jammers are set up

not sure why no one has made this yet

could even have a/v out to interface with nav units and be used as parking assist cams

tofu said:
that would actually be the best. external cams with internal recording box. kind of like how laser jammers are set up

That will work great until you get bug guts and road grime all over the lens. Then you will be wishing it was back inside.

you have 2/3 of the screen filled with sky, the ratio should be opposite: 1/3.
Yes, you are right. And the best is to have about 1/5 of the bottom image containing the front of the car and maybe some dashboard.

Also, It compresses the video in .MP4 format.
What is the problem with the compression to MP4?

enjoy,
Mtz

linni said:
themyst said:
Thing is definitely defective....

1st video: BV 500 doesn`t like trees, they make the sensor push it`s limits -> reason of the hard pixeling.
2nd video: BV 500 doesn`t like the sky either, specially the sun - you have 2/3 of the screen filled with sky, the ratio should be opposite: 1/3.

Otherwise it`s ok. Make some adjustments, don`t think it`s defective.

I did a quick adjustment of the camera to point downward to both reduce the amount of sky I get in my videos. Quality has much improved actually. Less artifacting, better image quality. Can make license plates out now from a reasonable distance.

Will remount the camera up higher and point downward for even less sky in my videos.

Thank you very much for the advice.

yup, seems like u guys have yur units pointed too much toward the sky

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J DR500GW-HD 3
C DR500GW-HD 9
Back