possible to synchronize time using GPS?

Paul_P

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Hello,
I'm curious about one thing: does the GPS version synchronize internal time when it gets a GPS fix? There should be no longer a need to manually adjust the time once a device has GPS (just like my Panasonic Lumix camera). Just want to ensure.

You just need to set your time zone when you first set the camera up and then the GPS sorts everything out.

Might be a little inconvenient for people who drive between time zones though?

Perfect, thank you for this information. :)

BTW, automatic time zone switching could be handled by firmware but I don't expect the cam manufacturer to bother with such a feature...

Most don't know how to do it
And you still have to sort out summer time, to do that automatically really needs an internet connection.

It would be much simpler if the files on memory cards were always timestamped with universal time (+0), then it would never be wrong! That is an advantage of living in the UK where time was invented :)

Summertime can be done without a connection but the database tables become overly complex to the point where it's not worth doing, plus they do change from time to time in some regions

plus they do change from time to time in some regions
You have to deal with the rule changes or you will have some very annoyed customers, and even without summertime, I think Spain is still considering changing from European to UK time - you need to know where the borders are to get it right. Having all files timestamped in UCT is the simple answer.

The borders are not that hard to deal with, even on our old model we had auto time, auto time zone and a DST offset in the menu we still had manual options as well

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Mini 0803 3
Back