Power Magic Pro and cameras

jimjones

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have been looking at the Power Magic Pro and I see there is only one input for Cigarette Power Cable also there is the Power Magic Pro+ (plus) which has 2 inputs but seems to be harder to find this product. Is it possible to hardwire 2 cams into a Power Magic Pro if I can't get a Power Magic Pro+ (plus)? If anyone has done this can they explain step by step.

Also does anyone know where I can get a longer Cigarette Power Cable for the Itronics itb-100hd. I read it's a 3m cable in the box, not sure if it will reach from the back window to the front for a rear cam, or does it?

The only important thing is the Power Magic. Than you can buy from local store any wires to extend and what you need. A Cigarette Power Cable is just an ordinary cable.
If you are afraid to make some mistake, take your Magic Pro to an electric store and tell to that people you want make your cable longer or if you want to have two outputs. They will give you the needed things in few minutes.
I like more to use direct wires instead of cigarette plugs so think about this. Event I don't smoke I don't like to have anything permanent in the car cigarette plug.
If you will try to do the job alone just take care to + and - to not inverse polarity and isolate the wires using tape.

enjoy,
Mtz

So if i buy Power Magic Pro, the one with just one input, a installer can wire in 2 cameras, front and back into that unit and I dont have to buy power magic pro+ (plus)? I will be going to a installer to do this but can anyone say how to do this just so I know? I dont want to buy it and have the guy tell me he cant do it. Do you just take off the lighter input form the back wires and attach the two cameras?

[Broken External Image]:http://www.autoblackbox.com.au/image/cache/data/POWER MAGIC/web_powermagicpro_p052-700x550.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://kagayakegps.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/IMG_0508.jpg

At arrow 2 in above diagram can the Cigarette input be taken off and 2 camera be attached to these two wires?

I don't have the Power Magic but I had the ITV-80 from Itronics.
I can't guarantee that any simple UPC like Power Magic can be used for two cameras at the same time, but I don't see why not. Reading the description of Magic and Magic Pro+ I sau the Output current is the same: Rated current 1A, max 2A and I think 2A is enough to power 2 cameras.

Because I use the car daily I gave to somebody the ITV-80 because I don't need it and because my battery will not go empty if I don't drive the car one day.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi jimjones,

It shouldn't be a problem to wire 2 cameras to one circuit like you described. You could actually install 2 cameras to 1 Power Magic without cutting the wires using a cigarette lighter socket splitter like this.

i.ebayimg.com_t_Car_Cigarette_Lighter_12V_Socket_Splitter_Adapf41f01fbd6ed38988e35bb400ce30102.jpg

You can purchase on eBay for less than $2 (over 1000 have been sold). If you need it right away, I'm sure a local auto parts store sells something similar.

Many of the cigarette lighter adapters that come with dash cams have a 2A fuse built in so it may make sense to use a splitter rather than cutting the wires.

Thanks for the info guys I can always just buy the power magic pro+
[Broken External Image]:http://artofspeedracing.ca/media/ca...6e5fb8d27136e95/p/o/powermagic-pro-plus_1.jpg

but the vendor who I’m buying the cameras from only has the power magic pro and I would much rather have the cameras hard wired into the box and not use the Cigarette attachment also having a single switch to turn everything off would be better. I may have to bring the info into the guy who will be doing the install.

Any follow up to this? I am curious about this. I am picking up a Itronics and it comes with the ITV80. I am thinking about adding another cam to the rear sometime down the road. Did using the splitter work? Or is it better to get another power unit?

Back