Power supply dead?

jimbo84

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
SG9665GC
...upon reviewing the evidence it seems it passed away some time ago without me noticing. :(

I used to review the footage now and then, but at some point I obviously decided it was satisfactory, and stopped checking.

Then my girlfriend got a B40C, when it starts I thought "that's a familiar jingle" eventually it clicked - I hadn't even noticed the jingle had stopped!

Anyway, managed to find a mini USB cable so I pulled the SG9665GC itself out today and the camera seems to run fine on USB power, so looks like the power supply has died - have there been many problems with this one? It's a v2 I bought in Jan 2016.

Thanks

We don't often get problems with the power supply, we have updated them a few times and you may have an earlier type given the purchase date

Anyway, message me your details and I'll arrange a new one for you

Hi jokiin, thanks for your quick response, message sent.

New power charger will be dispatched tomorrow.

Where was it powered from when it worked again? You sure it's not the car fuse blown?

Thanks guys, amazing response speeds!

Just to clarify, both 12v sockets in the front of the car are fine, Qualcomm Quickcharger working in either. I tested the cam indoors as I wanted to update it too.

Thinking about it, the PSU was showing signs of failure in the past, e.g. freezing while trying to change menu settings and while checking the card from when it was working, some videos could not be played or only part of a trip recorded.

As a temporary measure I'm powering the dashcam from a USB car charger with a cable hanging down - only drove about 30 - 40 min tonight, just got back and all the videos are fine.

I'm not back up to full speed yet, have been in hospital this month and I'm still recovering, still have to take it easy for a while
Nothing too serious I hope.

I guess my drainpipe developing ad-dons at the end are child's play then :)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Jokin :)

Phil

I'm not back up to full speed yet, have been in hospital this month and I'm still recovering, still have to take it easy for a while
Sounds ominous mate, glad you're on the mend! Taking it easy is something I'm an expert at :D

All the best with the recovery!

Sorry to hear about that jokiin, fingers crossed for recovery!

Received the replacement unit today from Niko, swapped it out and tested briefly on battery power - I haven't driven the car today. Seems fine now.
The little case for the PSU was different on the new one (ventilated) so guess I definitely had a previous version.

Thanks again for your help guys, much appreciated!

sounds like it could be overwork syndrome, what i'm suffering with at the moment.

Sorry to hear about that jokiin, fingers crossed for recovery!

Received the replacement unit today from Niko, swapped it out and tested briefly on battery power - I haven't driven the car today. Seems fine now.
The little case for the PSU was different on the new one (ventilated) so guess I definitely had a previous version.

Thanks again for your help guys, much appreciated!

I am glad postal services were able to deliver replacement within 24h.
Thank you too for your patience and co-operation.
If there will be any questions feel free to ask.

Back