Powering A139 Pro from MacBook, PC, or USB-C Charger

SPL15

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe a stupid question, but is it possible to power up the A139 Pro w/ a computer, or USB-C Charger using standard USB-C data capable cable?
I've had other devices that used a USB-C connector be destroyed when plugged into a USB Charger because it didn't actually follow USB-C standards, but its own proprietary wiring scheme that only worked with the manufacturer supplied charger.
USB-C has handshaking for power delivery specifications so the device being connected receives the correct voltage / current limits; the A139 Pro's USB-C implementation appears to be proprietary.

Also, if powered up by a computer, can I access the SD-card thru the USB-C connection? Or is it purely just power delivery?

I don't know the answer specifically as it relates to USB-C but over a period of many years with a variety of cameras that use a USB mini-B connector I've experienced cameras that refuse to boot up and begin recording because the camera encounters a data connection along with the standard +/- power wires when using certain aftermarket power supplies and cables, and thus thinks it is connected to a computer as a mass storage volume rather than a camera. This could well be the case with the scenario you are asking about.

In most situations I found I could resolve this problem by slicing open the cable and clipping the data wires leaving only the power wires functional and then the camera would operate normally. The wires within cables are color coded and not that hard to figure out. It depends on how the pin-outs on the plug are configured, which on USB-C are much more complex than the older style USB-A, so doing any modifications could be much more challenging.

Maybe a stupid question, but is it possible to power up the A139 Pro w/ a computer, or USB-C Charger using standard USB-C data capable cable?
I've had other devices that used a USB-C connector be destroyed when plugged into a USB Charger because it didn't actually follow USB-C standards, but its own proprietary wiring scheme that only worked with the manufacturer supplied charger.
USB-C has handshaking for power delivery specifications so the device being connected receives the correct voltage / current limits; the A139 Pro's USB-C implementation appears to be proprietary.

Also, if powered up by a computer, can I access the SD-card thru the USB-C connection? Or is it purely just power delivery?

Not all USB-C has power delivery functions. Normally, it will be designated PD at the end, but not always.

Power delivery devices can handle up to 20v, so thats probably why one of your other devices was damaged.

The charger on the A139Pro is just standard USB-C, and the charger is up to 2.5A if I remember correctly. So any standard USB-C charger or port that supplies at least 2.5A at 5v will be fine.

And yes, you can access the files via a PC no problems, as long as you use the correct USB port.

Hello SPL15.

SPL15: [...] if powered up by a computer, can I access the SD-card thru the USB-C connection? Or is it purely just power delivery?

With the A139pro ships a 550mm long USB-cable (usually refered to as `the short (USB-) cable`) which powers the cam and let´s you access the card (cam shows up as a removable drive). This cable is also used during/for the firmware-update process.

Another USB-cable of mine with which i charge my phone (android) via a wall-charger is also capable of connecting the A139pro to a computer as a removable drive.

And yes, you can access the files via a PC no problems, as long as you use the correct USB port.
I have been taking the card out and connecting it to my laptop to install the new firmware file. Thank you for calling out that I can also take my laptop to the car and connect the cable to my laptop to install the new firmware file (onto the camera/card). It seems more dangerous (physically) to remove and reinsert the tiny memory card vs. manipulating the other end of the usb-c/power cable.

FWIW, over the years I’ve noticed various reliability issues introduced with Viofo dashcams when using other power supplies and USB cables so at this point I stick with the factory cables.

I have been taking the card out and connecting it to my laptop to install the new firmware file. Thank you for calling out that I can also take my laptop to the car and connect the cable to my laptop to install the new firmware file (onto the camera/card). It seems more dangerous (physically) to remove and reinsert the tiny memory card vs. manipulating the other end of the usb-c/power cable.
I have never tried updating the firmware that way though. In theory it may work I guess, but there's nothing official to say it does work.

I could not get the camera to mount as a filesystem to my Windows laptop. I thought I would test copying the firmware file to the camera (card) via laptop.

My laptop is usb-c only so I use a mini-dock when I have usb-a cords to connect. So maybe mounting as a filesystem doesn't work with my usb-c dock. I tried these and none worked (i.e., camera turned on, started to record, but no mounted filesystem appeared on the laptop).
  1. Connected the usb-a end of the Viofo dashcam power cord to my dock (after removing it from the cigarette lighter adapter).
  2. Used the shorter cable that came with the Viofo and connected the usb-a end to my dock (this article for a different viofo camera says to use the short cable to read dashcam files on a PC: https://support.viofo.com/support/s...-reach-files-by-connecting-the-dashcam-to-pc-)
  3. Connected a high-quality usb-c to usb-c cable between the dashcam and my laptop

Last edited:
Thanks for info, everyone.

I'll have to see whether it's worth plugging my laptop directly into the A139 for downloading.
Sounds like it's pretty hit-or-miss, and I'm guessing the speed is much slower than just removing the SD card & using a USB-C card-reader.

Sounds like the host USB-C port with a laptop or charger will just default to the required 5Vdc when connected to the A139 Pro.

Mainly just wanted to make sure nothing dumb would happen if I plugged the Dash Cam into a USB-C port or USB-C charger w/ a full USB-C to USB-C data cable.
None of the my current devices have any USB-A ports & I've tossed / gave away all but 1 or 2 USB-A chargers since I no longer need them, where whenever I wanted to power up the Dash Cam at home I was having to find a USB-A charger & factory supplied cord in my "junk charger / cable drawer" in my basement.

Maybe there is not enough power output from laptop to power the A139 Pro.
It can work with A119 V3, but not work with A139 Pro.

If you just want to update the firmware, normally a power bank with a USB-C cable can power the camera.

Back