Powering down- What is the problem?

Screen name taken

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Dash Cam
70mai Dash Cam Pro
Having had my camera a few days I have found that it does not always switch off.
First basics.
The camera is brand new and I have used both 32GB class 10 and 4GB SDHC cards. Both have been formatted in the camera. I have two power outlets in the car and I have used both. The cam battery is full to half full. Clips set to 3 mins.

Occasion 1: Using 32GB stopped the car, turned everything but did not lock the car. On restarting the cam took video for another clip then stopped recording. The LCD was still working. No buttons would work so I rest the cam to give me back the functionality.
Occasion 2: Using the 32 GB again all worked well even after a stop. Locked the car but still everything was good.
Occasion 3: I tried the 4Gb card today. I had a slightly different problem to the first time. Stopped the car and locked it . Upon return found the cam not recoding but still had the LCD working and no functionality so I could change the menu turn off etc. I did not have a needle with me this time so let the cam run on it’s own batteries, until empty. Got home, now using the USB cable to hook the cam up to the PC. Now it is charging the batteries and wanted to start recording.

There is a problem but I do not know with what. Is it the cam battery or the power lead to the cam? Or maybe something I have not thought about?

There is one other thing that maybe or may not be part of the problem there is a rattle in the cam. When I press the Mode and Rec buttons this does not happen. Obviously I do not do this when the cam is operational as it may confuse the software. The loose item is clear heard in the sound. But could it be related to this power issue?

So far 37 views and not a hint of an answer. No doubt it is not the usual sort of problem.
This plus a rattling sound from the cam, I have decided to contact the ebay seller and see what they suggest. The rattle drowns out all the other sound I record. No doubt I have to return it.:(
Which is a shame as I am about to embark on a cross Europe journey and I was hoping I could film it.

Myself using G1W about 7-8 month and the only few complaint is battery, - it's dies after few weeks of use, but I have replaced it and now it's fine.
Also rattling was caused by lose speaker, - this was easy fix, just drop of hot glue-stick.
Menu button switch part which soldered to main board lose, - which was my fault when I assembling case back together, didn't put all components back, but later soldered and all fine now.
So only with rattling noise I can give advice to look inside and see if something might be lose, but again: this will void warranty, so better contact seller for further actions.

Niko Thanks for the reply. I have watched your GT680W Dis-assembly Video tutorial video. I went to my local PC/IT sales and repair shop today. Tried using various guitar plucks as this is what they use to open mobiles. However the casing would not budge.
It is the weekend so maybe I will not get a reply from China now. Just have to wait.

Niko Thanks for the reply. I have watched your GT680W Dis-assembly Video tutorial video. I went to my local PC/IT sales and repair shop today. Tried using various guitar plucks as this is what they use to open mobiles. However the casing would not budge.
It is the weekend so maybe I will not get a reply from China now. Just have to wait.

Do we talk about G1W or GT680W ? Which one you have ?

Opps error so this is an edit:
I have only seen the one for the GT680. But assumed the principles are the same. Gently and very slow pri the casing apart.

Last edited:
@ SNT you show a G1W in your profile so it may be different enough from the GT680 that you need different detailed instructions.

Looking at the picture of the disassembled G1W there's two 'fingers' (or catches) on the Top, the Bottom and each end.

It might help to have a few picks handy and start by finding and then pushing in on the 'fingers' on the Top using two picks.
When those release the case should pop apart a little bit, push a third pick in deeper between those two to keep the case apart and then use a pick to release the fingers at an end. Start with the one closest to the Top which you've already partially opened and the Top will open a little more. When you've pushed in the bottom one, the Top and End should be open enough that you can easily pop the fingers on the Bottom, and you're done.

I don't have any picks and I don't have any problems, so this is just a theory.

Niko can probably confirm my theory or suggest an alternative.

Yes I do own a G1W. But I assumed the vid I watch was a basis for disassembling all cams.
Here is the Vid
I have a PC tool kit in that there is a small lever bar. These photos show clearly what is what.

I still have not opened the cam. However after contact with the seller I am waiting for a possible up grade for my firmware. Presently I have got 20130627.V0.01.MM3. Looking around on this forum it seems that this is rather out of date.

I am in constant contact with the ebay seller originally offered a firmware upgrade set my email. But now saying it needs to be returned. I cannot fault the communications with the guy in China, sometimes it takes a bit longer and I am half way round the world plus we have these blasted holidays around this time of year.
If the cam only needs to be returned due to the poor sound recording I can live without sound recording. I really do not wish to send it back. It will cost us both money plus I will be without my new toy for over a month. I do feel that most of the problems can be overcome by loading different firmware.
At about the same time I purchased something via Amazon from a shop in China. that was due to arrive by today. so I am going to have to go through a different processes to claim back my money.
I am beginning to wonder if purchasing items on line is real worth it.

I wrote a new thread about solving the rattling so it would "stand out" form other threads. The other problems seem to be no longer there; very odd. I have kept the cam as I am quite pleased with it. The ebay seller suggest I opened it up to have a look!
Now to post some videos on YT, when I get the time

Back