Problem with 312 dash cam

donmaico

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had it installed by Halfords (hardwired I think) a few years back but now its making contact chiming noises as I drive along and it's showing low battery Anyway I took it off and trued to recharge it using the USB lead connected to my PC but the charge doesn't seem to last very long .Antother odd thing, when I tried to shut it down that would last few seconds before switching on again.After awhile it shutdown completely and is now dead,If the batter has had it is it possible to replace?

Yes the batteries don't last very long. After a few years they do degrade.

I think Nextbase run a repair service to install new batteries

would that be via Halfords or some other supplier?

Direct with Nextbase. They should see this thread and respond.

I had it installed by Halfords (hardwired I think) a few years back but now its making contact chiming noises as I drive along and it's showing low battery Anyway I took it off and trued to recharge it using the USB lead connected to my PC but the charge doesn't seem to last very long .Antother odd thing, when I tried to shut it down that would last few seconds before switching on again.After awhile it shutdown completely and is now dead,If the batter has had it is it possible to replace?
Hi,

Can you confirm if you have a 312GW or a 312G please?

I'd recommend performing a battery test:

1. Unplug the Rear Dash Cam (if applicable) and remove the Dash Cam from it's windscreen mount.
2. Take the Dash Cam indoors and remove the SD card.
3. Using the USB cable provided in the box, plug it into a mains power supply (2 Amp recommended), make sure to plug the cable into the body of the camera, not through the car mount.
4. Go into the Dash Cam menu and make sure that Parking Mode is turned off (if applicable), if Parking Mode is enabled, this will affect the test.
5. Leave the camera on charge for 4 hours (or more) with the camera turned on. When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.
6. Unplug the power cable, the camera should shut down.
7. Turn the Dash Cam on (using only battery power) and time how long it takes for the battery to run out and the camera to shut down.

Please note:
After performing this test, your Dash Cam will need to charged again, before reinstalling in your car.

The battery should last for 16+ minutes during the above test. If the battery lasts for less than 15 minutes, the battery may have reached the end of it's lifespan and will require replacing. Please let me know if this is the case, along with the exact model, and I'll direct message you the replacement options.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hi,

Can you confirm if you have a 312GW or a 312G please?

I'd recommend performing a battery test:

1. Unplug the Rear Dash Cam (if applicable) and remove the Dash Cam from it's windscreen mount.
2. Take the Dash Cam indoors and remove the SD card.
3. Using the USB cable provided in the box, plug it into a mains power supply (2 Amp recommended), make sure to plug the cable into the body of the camera, not through the car mount.
4. Go into the Dash Cam menu and make sure that Parking Mode is turned off (if applicable), if Parking Mode is enabled, this will affect the test.
5. Leave the camera on charge for 4 hours (or more) with the camera turned on. When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.
6. Unplug the power cable, the camera should shut down.
7. Turn the Dash Cam on (using only battery power) and time how long it takes for the battery to run out and the camera to shut down.

Please note:
After performing this test, your Dash Cam will need to charged again, before reinstalling in your car.

The battery should last for 16+ minutes during the above test. If the battery lasts for less than 15 minutes, the battery may have reached the end of it's lifespan and will require replacing. Please let me know if this is the case, along with the exact model, and I'll direct message you the replacement options.

Kind regards,
Millie
Hi,
it's a 312 GW
I have had it charging for 9 hours and the blue light was still on so unplugged and ran the test .It seemed to last the 16 minutes you suggested

Last edited:
Hi ,

If the battery lasted for 16 minutes then the issue is unlikely to be the battery itself. It's more likely to be the power cable or GPS mount. Can you give us a call on 02920 866 429 (UK) and we'll go through all the troubleshooting with you in one go.

Kind regards,
Millie

Hi ,

If the battery lasted for 16 minutes then the issue is unlikely to be the battery itself. It's more likely to be the power cable or GPS mount. Can you give us a call on 02920 866 429 (UK) and we'll go through all the troubleshooting with you in one go.

Kind regards,
Millie
I tried to contact you yesterday afternoon but was told you were out so I decided to connect the fully charged dashcam back in the car and see how it goes

Hi,

I don't actually work within the Call Team, however if you give us a call, any of our engineers will be able to assist you further with troubleshooting.

Kind regards,
Millie

Back