Pro's and Con's of using GPS with a dashcam?

StR

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All!

I am curious what other people think about using GPS with the dashcam vs. not using it, - especially in cases where people have used the recordings either with the insurance or in court (preferably in the US, as the legal system is different in different countries).

My own thoughts are as follows:
A) Pro's:
  1. It could be good to have a proof that you were not going with a crazy speed (or speeding at all), in case that would be the argument of the insurance / other side / ..
  2. The location provides a back-up proof of where it happened. The situations where it would be useful are not very frequent, but I can come up with some...
B) Con's:
  1. If you happen to speed even a little bit, they might hold this against you, claiming/creating an impression that since you are guilty of speeding, you'd be guilty of other things.
  2. They (police or court) can give you a ticket for speeding if that happened, using the recording as a proof.
  3. If you wanted to post your footage to a public resource (e.g. YT), - there could be a privacy issue, - with your location being exposed. (When I am posting snapshots, I can easily crop the bottom of the photo. It is a bit more involved to obfuscate the text in a video.)
What do you think about these?
Am I missing some other important points?

All of the things you put forth as pro's and con's of GPS can be extracted from the video itself without the GPS. GPS just makes that slightly easier.

The biggest advantage I find with GPS is that the clocks on my dashcams are always correct. The supercapacitor dashcam I had previously tended to forget the time and date randomly.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Dash Cam Discussion 5
Back