Public service announcment - remove the protective film off the lense!

troels

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Was about to post a rant about terrible quality and reflectivity issues after my first test run. Then realised I still had the plastic cover on.

D'oh!.

Don't feel bad, I've had customers come and see me months after installing cameras that have still had the film on the lens and never noticed

I had same issue with my gps screen, i was very mad because it got very bad very fast, then i noticed...:oops:

Don't feel bad, I've had customers come and see me months after installing cameras that have still had the film on the lens and never noticed
Why is the film made invisible?

If you covered it in the text "REMOVE BEFORE USE" then I would expect that everyone would remove it...

Okay did another test and the quality is fine but I'm still getting terrible reflections. You can see my phone in a cradle on the dash. The rectangular black thing is the lid of a compartment in the dash. How can I fix this?

2d9e0b7.png

11hyopi.png

2dsqww9.png

How do you get rid of the curvature at the sides of each picture?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Okay did another test and the quality is fine but I'm still getting terrible reflections. You can see my phone in a cradle on the dash. The rectangular black thing is the lid of a compartment in the dash. How can I fix this?

2d9e0b7.png

11hyopi.png

2dsqww9.png
CPL filter. Should be out soon.

The CPL filter will be your new best friend.
I won't leave home without it.

Cool. Will sit tight then.

So everyone else has the same issue then? Just wondering because there are quite a few samples which don't manifest the issue.

It depends a bit on the car. It was a huge issue for me.
It gets exacerbated the farther the lens is away from the windshield.

Maybe its related to the angle of the cam to the windscreen?

Before fitting this (my first cam) I had no idea what a CPL was or why everyone in the other thread was so keen for it to become available. Now I understand :)

I THINK it's more distance.
No worries.. I didn't either. It's a relatively new thing.

Yeah I can't wait either. The factory original stereo (which Toyota decided should be silver instead black) in my truck reflects a LOT in my windshield.

Cover the dashboard with non reflective material.

They do work great. I need to get similar. One of my cars has dark tan color dashboard that reflects bad and other one has black but it's shiny black.
I can't have CPL for all my dashcams but mat will work for all.

Here's a video demonstrating that at 7 seconds.

Back