Question About Dash Cam Software

Sentriarc

Reaction score
Country
United States
As the title suggests, I have a question regarding dash cam software. I'm new to the world of embedded systems and dash cams (and this forum in general), so please don't be too harsh on me. What is the software that's on the UI of the dash cam whenever the device is booted up called? I'm aware that some dash camera companies have their own mobile apps, but that's not what I'm referring to. The reason why I'm asking is because I noticed that almost all dash cams boot up the same way and have very similar interfaces, and whether if it's possible to write my own software for an interface. I hope this question isn't too confusing as I'm not sure how else to word it. Thanks!

I realize that this question was caused by my own little brain fart, and that the answer was firmware. Either way, however, is it possible to create my own firmware and somehow boot it onto a dash camera?

Yes, it is possible, but not practical, you don't have access to enough information or tools for easy firmware modification.

I noticed that almost all dash cams boot up the same way and have very similar interfaces,
Most dashcam firmwares, at least for the cheaper dashcams, are modifications of a general purpose "template" provided by the processor manufacturer, and there are very few manufacturers of dashcam processors, Novatek from Taiwan is the main one, and the others tend to be essentially cheap chinese copies that also roughly copy the user interface. There are a few exceptions.

You would do better to write a dashcam app to run on an Android device of some sort, nearly everything that can be done on the dashcam screen can also be done via the phone app, via commands sent over the wifi connection. If you can work out those commands then you can write your own app and your own UI, and run it on an android monitor on your dashboard.

I'm not convinced it is worth the effort, but it might be enjoyable.

Back