Question about suction mounts

The bottom line is that if you're happy with your mount solution then that's job done.

For me, the wedge dashcams that lock onto a solid double sided 3M VHB pad mount seem to be the best and produce zero vibration.

3M VHB is not enough on its own, many dashcams that use it still have some vibration which causes a little motion blur even if their owners don’t notice the cause and don’t realise that it could be better. The wedge shape dashcams never have any visible vibration; that seems to be the best mount design.

Yes, that's why I mentioned wedge.

I've had a couple of previous dashcams on stalks and a ball joint and they were dreadful for vibration.

Yes, that's why I mentioned wedge.

I've had a couple of previous dashcams on stalks and a ball joint and they were dreadful for vibration.
A stalk isn't necessarily bad, I've been surprised at the low amount of vibration in GoPro mounts that appear to be just cheap plastic, while some stalks that are very short and don't look like they would cause issues do vibrate! It is the design that matters. Wedge type mounts are definitely best.

Not all suction mounts are made the same. You will not see any shaking or vibrating from a high quality mounts made by GoPro or Garmin. Also, most suction mounts (good or bad) are for temporary use. I use these mounts in rental vehicles, but in my car I use the tape mount that came with the camera.

The base can be rock solid but each piece of plastic between the base and camera will potentially add vibration, the more pieces the higher the chances there will be vibration. And, lets not forget that the windshield itself vibrates.

Back