R280 - Anybody buy one recently? UPDATE bought one REVIEW

Marlin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thinking about buying the updated R280 (1080-30/720-60)

Has the newwwer one fixed the blurry issue? They are down to the $66 area. Would like to get a 1920x1080-30 with H.264 as cheap as possible and this one seems to fit the bill if the newwer ones fixed their problem.

Re: R280 - Anybody buy one recently?

No one wrote, so I took the chance. I was told they would send the newwer 828 firmware version. $66 shipped.

I'll update once I get it.

Marlin said:
No one wrote, so I took the chance. I was told they would send the newwer 828 firmware version. $66 shipped.

I'll update once I get it.

someone needs to go first I guess

Let us know how it is when you receive it. These 1080p Zoran processors have nice video quality but for some reason when matched with a cheap lens, blurry video is common. Perhaps it has been resolved and the price is very reasonable.

OK it came in today. It does have the 828 firmware. The battery is junk, only holds for a minute or 2 after unplugging.

Have not had a chnace to test yet, other than play in the menu. Will update in a week or 2 once I have some videos. I drive short trips to work so no really long but still kinda dark in the morining and bright when I drive home so should give a example of quality.

Marlin said:
OK it came in today. It does have the 828 firmware. The battery is junk, only holds for a minute or 2 after unplugging.

check your settings menu in case it is set to auto off in a few minutes when not being used, pretty common option

OK was able to get it to record. Here is a 3min day time clip from today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pVb6UpKx0Q

I have it in my 1999 Ranger so it shakes a good amount. Once I slow down or go over better road (the roads near me are bad right now) it seems to get a little better. But so far quality is good for $66.

I did have to do a hard reset on it when I was leaving work today. Hopefully it was just a flook.
Also a cloud will set it off if it makes a sharp shadow. But thats ok by me. Also caught my MiL putting some trash away so seems to work well on motion detect. If it plays well tomorrow morning i'll have another 3min clip when it is dark. I know this is not a great dark camera but I have hopes its decent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: R280 - Anybody buy one recently? UPDATE bought one REVIE

General
Complete name : T:\CARdvr\ZRDV0005.MP4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Sony PSP
Codec ID : MSNV
File size : 251 MiB
Duration : 3mn 1s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 11.6 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2013-02-15 16:29:02
Tagged date : UTC 2013-02-15 16:29:02
Writing library : CSRZ

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=8
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 11.6 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 16.0 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Original frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.186
Stream size : 250 MiB (99%)

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 64.0 Kbps
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Channel positions : Front: C
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : 33ms
Stream size : 1.38 MiB (1%)

picture looked a little soft but that could be a YouTube thing, as long as it's stable though for the price it looks acceptable

Hi Marlin,

It has a high bit rate and the video looks decent for the price. Let us know how it performs when it has been running for a while and heats up.

OK here is a early morning drive in the dark. Sun was just starting to come up so not full night but still dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEFuaUZd ... e=youtu.be

I left it on all day the other day to get it as warm as I could. Its 40degrees (F) so still cold. No blury yet but I am sure when summer comes that will be the real test.

I am going to try the 720p next. Says 60FPS but all the others at 720 show 30fps. Maybe it was fixed in the 828 firmware. I'll test day and dark and see.

After these two videos I can say the camera is good for $66.
I like how Zoran chipsets are recording even I am not a Zoran chipset fan from the old time when they made stupid chipsets for DivX players, but that is another story.
I still believe Ambarella is overrated (but not bad) and just with a good sounding name. I will never understand why they are using that stupid ugly font for the datas on the video.
And also Novatek too much underrated. Novatek is not bad, but the firmware used by poor companies.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi Mtz,

I agree with you. Here are my thoughts.

Ambarella - great daytime video quality but night time quality is never spectacular and usually average at best. Just check out the GoPro cameras that use exclusively Ambarella processors and night time quality is never great, even in the higher end models

Zoran - Video quality during the day is usually very good even from the older processors. Night time quality is mixed but not as consistently average as the Ambarella.
Unfortunately these processors appear to generate more heat and when used in dash cams with cheaper components (i.e. lens) and limited cooling capabilities, quality is very poor. Need better designs to dissipate heat with some of these processors.

Novatek - Most dash cams come with the cheap Novatek processors hence their bad reputation. Often called fakes. Perhaps they have some good processors but they never seem to make it to dash cams

Texas Instruments - Seems like the main processor for the Korean manufacturers and are usually quite impressive if the manufacturer uses a high bit rate.

Mtz said:
I like how Zoran chipsets are recording even I am not a Zoran chipset fan from the old time when they made stupid chipsets for DivX players, but that is another story.

enjoy,
Mtz

as you've played with DiVX players in the past I'm sure you'll relate but different chipsets often have certain characteristics and it's not always about price, technically they're all doing the same job but you can see the differences in colour depth, sharpness etc that set them apart

DashCamMan said:
Hi Mtz,

I agree with you. Here are my thoughts.

Ambarella - great daytime video quality but night time quality is never spectacular and usually average at best. Just check out the GoPro cameras that use exclusively Ambarella processors and night time quality is never great, even in the higher end models

the bulk of what you've seen to date in dashcams would be A2 powered, it's at the limit of processing power to do any better at night, A5 is a big step up when used with the right sensor and lens, a lot of factories won't take advantage of its capabilities I'm sure so you'll still see mixed results on the A5 platform but it will be capable

for GoPro night video is not important in the scheme of things for them so what you see from them is not technical limitations but rather a marketing decision about what they want from their cams, I wouldn't put it past them to do a model focused on low light performance as an additional model, if they see a market for it that is

You made me remember when people from Australia talked about me in 2005, for example here.
I never was a programmer, but can I be a hacker without programming knowledge? :lol:
The Mtz site link from that australian forum was closed many years ago by softpedia, but lucky the forum is still alive even not active anymore.

A5 is a big step up when used with the right sensor and lens
I am sure even the A2 chipset is better with the right sensor and lens, but the price war is ruining more things than the chinese producers can imagine.
Another example is for the Texas Intsruments, about the ITB-100HD which with the correct lens and sensor is much better than other TI cameras even from Itronics. When we watch an ITB-100HD recording we say: "wow, so great for (the old) $170", but "wow, you paid $380 for this Pittasoft (or another Itronics) quality?"

I was just trying to say that I saw so many times the Ambarella word in dashcam names as a guarantee of quality, but the truth was another and the reason as already you said was because of the other bad components.

I hope you will enter in the market much sooner with the A5 processor (this spring!) and if using an 1/2.7" sensor and my idea about external GPS and Wi-Fi, your product will be a winner also with the help of the forums, even this forum.
You can make two cameras with the same form factor, one cheap and one called PRO. The word PRO is still selling well, as we can see the much more overrated Go Pro cameras. But you must consider also that the Jokiin is not so right name for a dashcam. For example when I read your nickname first time I was thinking you are a man which is making jokes all the time. That was the connection in my brain. What about Jokino Pro? :roll:

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
You made me remember when people from Australia talked about me in 2005, for example here.
I never was a programmer, but can I be a hacker without programming knowledge? :lol:
The Mtz site link from that australian forum was closed many years ago by softpedia, but lucky the forum is still alive even not active anymore.

actually I had a feeling I knew your user name before, I was involved in this back then also, I never hung out on OCAU but other forums I did at the time and still do, we used to do lots with MTK firmware, we went on and were involved in some Sigma Designs product, feature packed but a nightmare to deal with, as simple and as cheap as it was the MTK (at that time) was a far better product, quite a lot because of the community, even back then I was involved in manufacture and supply of DVD players and we used to fix firmware for all the stupid things the factory couldn't get right like subtitles etc and send it back to the factory and we were delivering DVD players straight from the factory with the mods we had done, that's what I was referring to previously about community input making the product successful, MTK went on to pick up a lot of brand name DVD player business I'm sure because of the developments that came out of the community, anyway we're getting off track but I'm sure you know what I mean and why it could relate to this product

Mtz said:
A5 is a big step up when used with the right sensor and lens
I am sure even the A2 chipset is better with the right sensor and lens, but the price war is ruining more things than the chinese producers can imagine.

the A2 can certainly do a lot better than a lot of what you see out there that use a cheap OVI sensor and 4 glass lens, it's a really common combo, it does ok I guess for the price but whichever way you look at it it's a compromise

price war is right, I refer to it as the race to the bottom, buyers are the worst offenders as they constantly push for lower prices instead of pushing for better products, that does nobody any favours, the industry suffers, the product category suffers and most of all the consumer suffers, buyers push for this and it's just unfortunate that too many suppliers are willing to meet their demands for lower priced product, the only way to save many on a product is to reduce the cost of the components, there is no other money to be saved

Mtz said:
I hope you will enter in the market much sooner with the A5 processor (this spring!) and if using an 1/2.7" sensor and my idea about external GPS and Wi-Fi, your product will be a winner also with the help of the forums, even this forum.

enjoy,
Mtz

as much as I'd like to have the A5 product ready right now it's not, I wish it was as I'm sure the demand is there for better performing product at realistic prices

I'm a strong believer in forums and what they offer, search my user name, there's probably 30,000 posts or more across various forums I participate on, some I've been active over 10 years (on some older forums my user name is jok11n), I changed it years ago except on the few where that wasn't an option, some have been and gone and no longer exist, I admin on a couple still

Mtz said:
But you must consider also that the Jokiin is not so right name for a dashcam. For example when I read your nickname first time I was thinking you are a man which is making jokes all the time. That was the connection in my brain. What about Jokino Pro? :roll:

enjoy,
Mtz

yeah that's just my user name, not a brand, I've been involved in stacks of brands over the years but use the same name on all forums, I often talk to people I know across multiple forums if we have other similar interests and hobbies so using the same user name on each is easier, I find a lot of people that are good forum contributors do the same and keep the same user name

Let me first say that I hate that Epson is the only manufacturer that allows for CIS systems that print on CD/DVD's. Ive gone through 4 printers in the last six months. For some reason the cyan print head keeps getting clogged. Once it was the cyan and the yellow. Epson has sent me replacements but they only last a few months before the same thing happens. Now I have to send in the printer so they can evaluate the problem and see if I need a replacement. The other problem Im having is when I power on the printer it bangs all the way to the right and the ink and paper feed buttons light up red. Im assuming this is some sort of general error. I dont know how to clear it though.

So if anyone knows how to clear that error please let me know.

Also could the ink be whats causing the clogged heads? I hear from others that Epson knows that their print heads are crap in regards to this problem. Im also wondering if the age of the ink could have anything to do with it. Since Im using a CIS system I have some bulk ink but its kept in airtight canning jars. If anyone could give any insight into this Id appreciate it. Also if anyone knows of any better CIS system let me know.

Man, if your are using your Epson to print a dashcam, use just the black color because is enough.
But if you don't, you are on the wrong planet here. Mars and Venus are the most closer, maybe you searched them?

enjoy,
Mtz

OP:

Where did you end up buying yours from, daytime footage looks perfectly reasonable to me at least ?

Marcus said:
OP:

Where did you end up buying yours from, daytime footage looks perfectly reasonable to me at least ?

I bought it from this person on aliexpress

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-dvr- ... 33658.html

This person gives you a choice of color. They also replied to my message on the firmware and promised a 828 since I asked.

If you do buy beware the battery life is like 30seconds. Good if in a wreck and lose power but not useful away from a power plug.
The 2nd thing is the early ones had issues with the image getting blury when it got hot. Since its still cold here in NoVA I can't say if it has been fixed or not.

I will update in the summer but thats a whiles away.

Back