Really large aperture lens dascams.

Ahh, a lens mount rather than lens class, using a standard metric thread; thanks for explaining:

OK, perhaps "class" was not the best word to use but I've been hearing the term used in the photography profession for decades. When photography people hear the term "M 39 lens" it is usually assumed one is talking about the classic Leica lens mount used for many decades on many different cameras rather than the metric ISO standard so whether you are talking about the size of the lens threaded barrel or the mount it is just really just the other side of the same coin. The M39 lens pre-dates the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) by a great many years as well as it wasn't established until 1947. It is similar with M12 type lenses where people think of the lens type rather than the metric thread standard. People who know what they are understand you are talking about "Metric 12mm lenses". Obviously, that M involves the mount was assumed as when I said, "Basically any lens that has a screw-in mount and is designated in millimeters".

Anyway, as an amusing aside, manufacturing thread standards can be very useful in unexpected ways. Many people don't realize that many of the food items and other liquid products they purchase come in jars and containers that come with lids and bottle caps that are manufactured to standardized industrial screw neck finishes and thread sizes called continuous thread, screw-top or screw-on depending upon their thread design. Years ago, I began to notice that a wide range of different products I buy use the same size screw-on closures and many are interchangeable between products. For this reason, I sometimes keep the bottle caps and jar lids from certain screw-on products rather than throwing them all away because I know they will probably have alternative uses eventually. This happened just the other day when the pump bottle of some hand lotion I use stopped working because the damned pump tube didn't reach all the way to the bottom of the bottle thus leaving a surprising amount of unused product behind. (FYI: Dry cracked hands can be a real hazard here during a cold Vermont winter, especially if you work outside at all, hence the hand lotion.) So, I went through the kitchen drawer where I've saved a small collection of jar lids and container caps and found the perfect match; a screw-on cap with a pop-open top that came off a bottle of dish washing liquid and happens to be the exact same thread design and is the same size as the pump bottle cap. So, the wasteful pump bottle with several ounces of product still left over is now a very usable squeeze bottle thanks to the thread standards! :happy:

Without standards all of consumer product manufacturing would be total chaos. :eek:

Last edited:
If I'm interested about super high lens - I'll go to another discussion. The links you provided do not work. Price ranges of optics on Aliexpress do not give hope for decent quality.

The links you provided do not work.

The links are working fine on my end. Not sure what the problem may be for you.

Price ranges of optics on Aliexpress do not give hope for decent quality.

You might be quite surprised if you actually evaluated the lenses on offer as many on this forum who have done exactly that will tell you. Don't assume that price equals optical performance here.

If I'm interested about super high lens - I'll go to another discussion.

Well, as usual, you are certainly a charming fellow, Interested or not, if you wish to leave, by all means be my guest ! ;)

Last edited:
This happened just the other day when the pump bottle of some hand lotion I use stopped working because the damned pump tube didn't reach all the way to the bottom of the bottle thus leaving a surprising amount of unused product behind.
The USA uses metric 28-410 threads?
I expected you would be using inches, maybe that is why the pump doesn't reach the bottom, you measure pipe in inches and bottles in metric!

The USA uses metric 28-410 threads?
I expected you would be using inches, maybe that is why the pump doesn't reach the bottom, you measure pipe in inches and bottles in metric!

Some manufactured items here in the U.S use metric measurements, Nigel. And where did I ever say that the pump was designed using inches to measure the pipe? Plus, whomever manufactured the pump likely didn't manufacture the bottle. I suspect the pump was likely made in China and not matched properly with the bottle.

Why be so picayune about such trivial matters?

Most people would simply enjoy the amusing story about a clever alternative use for container closures within a post that was about screw thread standards, but instead, as always, you turn so many of my posts into some kind of petty pissing match over some detail you've found to take umbrage with. The last time you did this you started an ongoing argument with me because I used an obscure word you were not familiar with and didn't like. Often you'll throw in some sort of critical nation bashing towards the USA for good measure like you've done here because you resent that the US doesn't use the metric system for most things. Perhaps you are just a very unhappy person who can't seem to relate to others in a normal healthy manner?

Last edited:
Back