Rear cam keeps falling off of rear SUV windshield. Any solution?

Not that cold for us. Been waking up to temps in the low to mid teens - low enough to get your attention.

The grey tape is different for sure, but I haven't played with it enough to get a handle on where it or the 5952 would be preferable. It does appear to be more 'conformable' so it probably has the edge when it comes to textured surfaces (like woven cotton fabric?).

I've used it from time to time for different projects but as I've mentioned before it is my "go to" tape for mounting dash cams on textured plastic. I think you'll come to appreciate how easily and cleanly it removes from whatever you apply it to compared with #5952.

Some plastics are problematic, I ended up using hotglue to attach the mount before sliding the camera on - this worked great and if need be can be pealed off, just remember to hold it in place for 30-60secs for it to set.

I've used it from time to time for different projects but as I've mentioned before it is my "go to" tape for mounting dash cams on textured plastic. I think you'll come to appreciate how easily and cleanly it removes from whatever you apply it to compared with #5952.
I bought that black 3m tape you mentioned and and good thing that it is full one inch size width. I applied the rear camera to the plastic trim using the black tape and it is sticking well there so far. Hasn’t fallen off for the last 24 hrs. The plastic trim surface is not a smooth like windshield but still, so far it hasn’t fallen off. Hope it remains stuck there for months or years until I remove it . I returned the grey tape which is very weak and poor adhesive and it is half inch size width.

I'm pleased to hear that the black tape is working for you (so far). As for the gray tape, it is not "weak" nor does it have poor adhesion. It simply needs to be applied properly and in the proper conditions. As I've mentioned numerous times in this thread it can be difficult if not impossible to install this tape during the winter months.

As for the width issue, the tape is available in different widths but that is not really a concern. Regardless of how wide or narrow your roll of 3M VHB tape may be, the way to use it on a dash cam mount is to apply however many strips you need side by side abutting one another to completely cover the surface of your mount and then carefully trim off the excess with an X-Acto knife or sharp scissors to match the shape of your mounting plate. Then, when you are ready, just remove the protective red tape strips and apply as you would any camera mount.

Last edited:
I ended up using a little superglue to the plastic part around the rear window on my SUV. It holds very strongly! ;)
Yes, there may be a little damage to the car plastic when I remove it but it should not be much; I will probably just put another camera there anyway and it's not in a very visible location...
I didn't want to keep fixing the tape.
Added bonus: less of the window is covered since only the lens needs to stick out.
Wanted to use magnets but the shape of the plastic at this location is not very good for this.

Back