Rear cam on A229 Pro no longer working

ltmikepowell

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got an A229 Pro with HK4 hardwire kit for a 2024 Honda Accord Hybrid about 2 weeks ago. I updated to the newest beta firmware, but it was unstable so I decided to downgrade it back to the official firmware. It was working on both channel.

The front camera work and update the firmware, but now my rear camera does not accept any firmware, and when connect to the Viofo App, it doesn't show up. The record button will flash and making beeps if I have the rear cam connected.
SD card is SanDisk Max Endurance 256GB
I have tried the following
  • Format the card to FAT32/then tried exFAT.
  • Holding reset button
  • Try the beta firmware again.
  • Try and reupdate the official firmware again.
I had the hardwire kit install "professionally". The installer didn't use the windshield static tape, used all the fuse taps (wtf), mount it in the middle, didn't get the fuse location correctly (I had to change the fuse location on my own). The camera would boot like three times on my morning drive to work, but my night time drive it didn't.

Welcome to the forum Mike.
Have you checked the connectors at the rear camera /front main unit, it have been the prime reason for flaky systems since dual channel systems came about.
I am amazed i have not experienced the issue myself as i have after all been on the dual bandwagon for many years, and it is not a sure thing i do a very proper / tidy install.
But i have never had a system go flaky or loose a rear camera.

Your system liking to reboot during the day but not at night seem strange, not least if it is hard wired and i assume your ride like most this day and age have aircon too.
I also never seen cameras tap out due to heat during normal recording, but Danish summers are a bit colder than the ones in Cali

Viofo support is leaning toward that my rear camera got damaged during the firmware update. Because both front and back are working before, only like for the last couple of days when I decided to downgrade the firmware was when the rear was not working.

For the reboot issue, weird thing that it happened in certain locations (I noticed it multiple times already, same area). Also the way that Honda hybrid system work is different than Toyota one.

I'm wondering if this is a firmware version compatibility issue. If you upgraded both the front and rear cameras to the v1.3 beta firmware, but then downgraded the front camera to v1.2 production firmware, there might be problem with v1.2 front firmware not being able to deal with v1.3 rear firmware. I've successfully had v1.3 front and v1.0_231207 rear firmware in place.

I might suggest (perform at your own risk) temporarily upgrade the front camera to v1.3 beta firmware. If my premise is correct, you might have access again to the rear camera (see it in the app and recording video). I would then attempt downgrade the rear firmware to v1.0_231207 with the front still running v1.3 beta firmware. If that succeeds, then downgrade the front camera back to v1.2 firmware.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if this is a firmware version compatibility issue. If you upgraded both the front and rear cameras to the v1.3 beta firmware, but then downgraded the front camera to v1.2 production firmware, there might be problem with v1.2 front firmeare not being able to deal with v1.3 rear firmware. I've successfully had v1.3 front and v1.2 rear firmware in place.

I might suggest (perform at your own risk) temporarily upgrade the front camera to v1.3 beta firmware. If my premise is correct, you might have access again to the rear camera (see it in the app and recording video). I would then attempt downgrade the rear firmware to v1.2 with the front still running v1.3 beta firmware. If that succeeds, then downgrade the front camera back to v1.2 firmware.
The thing is official firmware for rear is v1.0 something. The front is running v1.3, but somehow the rear is not communicating with the front at all (I tried v1.3 firmware and v1.0 firmware for the rear, nothing is working). The front will run, but as soon as I connected the rear cable, it will said 2CH recording, and the REC LED will blink and beeps.

I contacted Viofo support and they will send me a new rear unit + cable.

There is a compatible issue with that beta rear cam firmware, this is solved with the latest version.
Oh. So I don't need to wait for the replacement unit? Because I submitted a ticket and a replacement rear unit + cable will be send to me.

I'm wondering if this is a firmware version compatibility issue. If you upgraded both the front and rear cameras to the v1.3 beta firmware, but then downgraded the front camera to v1.2 production firmware, there might be problem with v1.2 front firmeare not being able to deal with v1.3 rear firmware. I've successfully had v1.3 front and v1.2 rear firmware in place.

I might suggest (perform at your own risk) temporarily upgrade the front camera to v1.3 beta firmware. If my premise is correct, you might have access again to the rear camera (see it in the app and recording video). I would then attempt downgrade the rear firmware to v1.2 with the front still running v1.3 beta firmware. If that succeeds, then downgrade the front camera back to v1.2 firmware.
Okay, I will try that.

Okay, I will try that.
Good luck. You're correct, the current production rear camera firmware is v1.0_231207 not a v1.2 version. I corrected that in my original post.

I am having the same issues.

I tried the 1.3 beta firmware, noticed the video quality of the rear was poor. Tried to downgrade to 1.2/1.0 and troubles started. Now, the rear cam not accepting firmware, no rear firmware shows in settings, voice says 2 channel recording but that is not happening, beeping from the dashcam, app opens but crashes when it is connecting..starts to connect but when trying to establish live view, it crashes.

Contacted the dealer, they will send out a new rear cam.

We’re you able to get it all going again?

Last edited:
I am having the same issues.

I tried the 1.3 beta firmware, noticed the video quality of the rear was poor. Tried to downgrade to 1.2/1.0 and troubles started. Now, the rear cam not accepting firmware, no rear firmware shows in settings, voice says 2 channel recording but that is not happening, beeping from the dashcam, app opens but crashes when it is connecting..starts to connect but when trying to establish live view, it crashes.

Contacted the dealer, they will send out a new rear cam.

We’re you able to get it all going again?
Not yet. I'm trying the suggestions that rcg350 is saying.

But your issue is exactly like mine.

Not yet. I'm trying the suggestions that rcg350 is saying.

But your issue is exactly like mine.
Comforting to know it is likely a system issue and not me messing up. On my A119 V3 I would upgrade and downgrade with no problems so thought it would be Ok to do it with the A229 Pro.

I now have 1.2 on the front. I was still having the beeping, app crashing etc issues until I disconnected the rear camera after which the dashcam is functioning perfectly as a 1 ch system.. I am loathe to try anything more with the 1.3s until an official version is released. The dealer will send out a new rear and when that arrives I will install 1.0 and see how that goes.

I did notice that after I first installed the 1.3s front and rear, the app would crash as I described but everything worked. I thought it just needed a new version of the app but perhaps that was the start of the issue and me trying to downgrade just broke the rear.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Comforting to know it is likely a system issue and not me messing up.

I now have 1.2 on the front. I was still having the beeping, app crashing etc issues until I disconnected the rear camera after which the dashcam is functioning perfectly as a 1 ch system.. I am loathe to try anything more with the 1.3s until an official version is released. The dealer will send out a new rear and when that arrives I will install 1.0 and see how that goes.

Good luck.
Same, but I will try the method suggested above first, then getting a new cam if it doesn't work.

I did notice that after I first installed the 1.3s front and rear, the app would crash as I described but everything worked. I thought it just needed a new version of the app but perhaps that was the start of the issue and me trying to downgrade just broke the rear.
In addition to firmware for the front and rear cameras, this post also contains an application for Android.
I updated the front and rear cameras. I installed the application on my smartphone
and there were no problems with the operation of the A229 Pro, nor were there any problems with the operation of the application.

UPDATE: Tried @rcg530 suggestion of re-flash the front to v1.3, then try to reflash the rear to v1.0 did not work. The rear cam still not being detected by the front.

Looks like a replacement from @viofo should help then.

I will flash the front with v1.2 again with the new rear unit once it is arrived.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Tried @rcg530 suggestion of re-flash the front to v1.3, then try to reflash the rear to v1.0 did not work. The rear cam still not being detected by the front.

Looks like a replacement from @viofo should help then.

I will flash the front with v1.2 again with the new rear unit once it is arrived.
Thanks for the update. I was about to give it a try but will not.

The dealer has issued an RMA. I will send the rear cam to them, they will test it and we go from there. Before that I will give it one more go at installing 1.0 on the rear. I have 1.2 on the front.

Once I have the rear replacement cam, I will downgrade the front back to 1.2. Then connect the rear, running it at 1.0 until the official 1.3 release.

Once I have the rear replacement cam, I will downgrade the front back to 1.2. Then connect the rear, running it at 1.0 until the official 1.3 release.
I gave it one more try and nothing changed.

Me too. I am about to package up the rear camera and send it off . At least the front is working,

I assume defaulting the cameras settings has been tried?

Back