rear camera disconnecting

guidatore

Reaction score
Country
Italy
A message that I should have posted a long time ago, but I did not have the time.
A year ago I bought two A139 3 channel for the two cars I own. Both the A139 started soon to suddendly disconnect/reconnect the rear camera. At the beginning only when the car was passing over street bumps or holes on the asphalt, but now it's happening so often, even when driving under normal conditions.
The camera starts to beep, then after some time, it says "recording two channel started". Then sometimes keeps again beeping and then the voice says "recording three channel started", sometimes instead it simply beeps".
To temporarily solve the problem I have to unplug the powercord.
I also tried to replace on one of the two cars, the rear cable, but the situation does not change. It's a design fault of the connector of the rear camera. The fact that the disconnection problem is also mentioned in the VIOFO website, it's a confirm of this.
I do not want to send them to RMA for a replacement, because also a new camera will have the same problem, moreover I do not even want to send them to the seller to get another brand, because I don't think there is a better 3channel dashcam on the market. I will rather try soon to fix the connector with a special electrically conductive glue, the Elecolit 3025, even if this will break the warranty.

In my opinion VIOFO should definitely do a recall fo this product, produce a revision of this camera, and give it for free as replacement to the customers

Yeah I have a similar issue, it seems to be happening on my Internal channel. So in your experience its an issue with the small rear camera itself rather then the main unit or the cable?

Trouble with the remote cameras on any system are most often the wire or the plugs on the wire.
On a system like the A139 ( i tested this system ) the little plugs i would recommend being very careful you do not have any slack wire right at the camera.
In my car i used 2 cable holder clips to guide the wire off to the side of my hatchback car, then from there to the D piller i do have some slack wire in oder to be able to open / close the hatch.

I think if you have the 3 channel version, you can temporarily switch the internal and rear camera around to determinering if it still happen and so if its a problem with the camera unit or the wire.

You be amazed how many had problems with rear cameras since they came out, so much so i am amazed i have not gotten that myself as i have after all tested quite a few 2 or 3 channel cameras in the past years.
Even more if you also count the problems with interferance on DAB or SAT radio, a lot of people had that too wit all brands of cameras.

But yes, the small MCX or what the hell their name are, a little extra care will be good, and it is for sure not a plug suited for often plugging in and unplugging which a USB plug of some sort will handle much better.

I like the thin wires and plugs on the new Coaxial remote cameras, but it was probably a good idea viofo when up to a little larger versions on systems like the A229 i am testing ATM

Yeah, I could tell when I got my A139(pro) that these little plugs could be problematic. I really wish Viofo would have used the same plugs as Blackvue - they're much more substantial and have never given me an issue, the cable and plugs are about the same thickness as Viofo's overall and would have made for an easy upgrade to my DS900S-2CH (really not impressed with that system), oh well.

Well after it happened a lot today, triggered by some small pot holes. I did a bit more investigation, seems to be effecting both the rear and internal channels so not likely to be an issue with heat (was only 3c today) or the SD card as I understand the system may start by disabling the internal channel then the rear but there is no particular order - also did a speedtest and write speeds are over 70MBps.

There isn't any coil of slack cable before the plug but about 6" of cable from the head liner to the main camera unit, likely enough to cause some movement. TBH I think its just a poor choice of connecter - its not particularly secure - the plug will rock in its socket which will cause disconnections. I'll probably pick up the security bracket and see if I can add some rubber grommets to sure up the connection - add some constant pressure to the plug.

Last edited:
Back