Rear Camera Radio Interference

washcroft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Since installing my X2 I am experiencing severe DAB radio interference.

My DAB antenna and amplifier live on/in the rear window so in quite proximity to the rear camera, removing the rear camera from the screen eliminates the interference but obviously that isn't an option.

I have tried adding clip-on ferrite cores to both ends of the USB cable but this doesn't give any improvement. Is there anything else I should try?

Regards,
Warren

The camera and cable are both shielded, mounting in close proximity to the antenna can cause issues regardless, not something that would be factored into the design brief for the radio

X2 rear camera shell is also shielded from inside ( EMI paint ).
Video cable is also shielded as @jokiin mentioned. I am not sure if the "leak" of interference may come from microusb plug part. I dont know if area of 1-2cm on the plug is shielded and having it close to DAB antenna and amplifier might be causing interference. Just as a quick test, try to wrap plug into kitchen foil and see how it works, after we can go further with other suggestions.
Can you remind what car make / model / year do you have ?

Thanks, I will try the tin foil / alternative mounting options.

It's a 2010 BMW 5 series, but I think most BMWs have their radio antennas built into the rear window and the amplifiers top centre.

Thanks, I will try the tin foil / alternative mounting options.

It's a 2010 BMW 5 series, but I think most BMWs have their radio antennas built into the rear window and the amplifiers top centre.

amplifiers are great at doing what they're intended to do, amplify, whether that be signal or induced noise unfortunately

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure if the "leak" of interference may come from microusb plug part. I dont know if area of 1-2cm on the plug is shielded and having it close to DAB antenna and amplifier might be causing interference. Just as a quick test, try to wrap plug into kitchen foil and see how it works, after we can go further with other suggestions.

I have now had a chance to try this, unfortunately there was no improvement.

Just as an experiment, try moving camera to top corner of rear windows, like Mobius HERE
See how DAB works ?

In the corner there is an improvement but there is still interference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just in case want to remind myself, - are you using L-angle adapters or only 6m video cable without adapters ?

Just the cable, no adapters.
The worse case scenario is that non of existing dashcam solutions will work if mounted near DAB antenna due to the nature of your car DAB set-up specifics, but there are few things that still can be tried. I will collect some more information and get back asap.

removing the rear camera from the screen eliminates the interference

Just to clarify by "removing rear camera from the screen", - do you mean "pulling" away for some distance from rear windows, or totally unplugging it from video cable ?

Just to clarify by "removing rear camera from the screen", - do you mean "pulling" away for some distance from rear windows, or totally unplugging it from video cable ?

I mean moving it away from the screen, whilst still keeping it connected.

This is an unique situation where shielded camera is still in conflict with DAB radio, maybe just the case of particular model.
I dont know if you like this idea from aesthetic point of view and I am not sure how well it can work in real life, but is it possible to mount rear camera on rear seats centre headrests ? I know this is unorthodox proposal, but this is just first thing came to mind mind how DAB radio reception can be improved where need to move away camera from windows, but at the same time be in use. Yes, vertical FOV will be a little bit less, but still this is the only quick solution I can see now. Not sure how you like it, at least maybe to try out ?

This is an unique situation where shielded camera is still in conflict with DAB radio, maybe just the case of particular model.
I dont know if you like this idea from aesthetic point of view and I am not sure how well it can work in real life, but is it possible to mount rear camera on rear seats centre headrests ? I know this is unorthodox proposal, but this is just first thing came to mind mind how DAB radio reception can be improved where need to move away camera from windows, but at the same time be in use. Yes, vertical FOV will be a little bit less, but still this is the only quick solution I can see now. Not sure how you like it, at least maybe to try out ?

I don't like the idea, but in the meantime I've been listening to FM radio. When I have more time, I'll experiment with different positioning of the rear camera to see if I can eliminate as much DAB interference as possible.

I don't like the idea, but in the meantime I've been listening to FM radio. When I have more time, I'll experiment with different positioning of the rear camera to see if I can eliminate as much DAB interference as possible.
I wonder if FM antenna in your BMW is also in rear windows ?

I wonder if FM antenna in your BMW is also in rear windows ?

It is, but FM being analog is less susceptible to this kind of interference, DAB being digital it either works or it doesn't.

It is, but FM being analog is less susceptible to this kind of interference, DAB being digital it either works or it doesn't.
Yes, thats a truth.

Back