Mobius mounting solutions

I had to choose a Mobius in the rear due to my car's powered sunshade. When the sunshade is up, there is no room for any camera to mount to the glass. I was intrigued with the new version that has the sensor at 90 degrees, as this looked like it could work in my vehicle. I wanted an A lens because I have to mount to the left or right, and a wide angle lens would give an image full of the C pillar. I'm very happy with this set-up given the mounting challenges this car has for the rear. On to the pics:

Sunshade down:
IMG_3742.jpg

Sunshade Up:

IMG_3743.jpg

Close Up w/ Sunshade Up. Using a magnetic mount with the magnet attached directly to the side of the Mobius.
IMG_3745.jpg

View with Sunshade Down (excuse the dirty glass)
vlcsnap_2015_06_06_15h33m14s811.png

With Sunshade Up (excuse the dirty glass)
vlcsnap_2015_06_06_15h39m11s087.png

And from the outside - tint and sunshade makes it about impossible to see
IMG_3746.jpg

Very neat mounting solution what parts have you used.

I had to choose a Mobius in the rear due to my car's powered sunshade. When the sunshade is up, there is no room for any camera to mount to the glass. I was intrigued with the new version that has the sensor at 90 degrees, as this looked like it could work in my vehicle. I wanted an A lens because I have to mount to the left or right, and a wide angle lens would give an image full of the C pillar. I'm very happy with this set-up given the mounting challenges this car has for the rear. On to the pics:

Sunshade down:
IMG_3742.jpg

Sunshade Up:

IMG_3743.jpg

Close Up w/ Sunshade Up. Using a magnetic mount with the magnet attached directly to the side of the Mobius.
IMG_3745.jpg

View with Sunshade Down (excuse the dirty glass)
vlcsnap_2015_06_06_15h33m14s811.png

With Sunshade Up (excuse the dirty glass)
vlcsnap_2015_06_06_15h39m11s087.png

And from the outside - tint and sunshade makes it about impossible to see
IMG_3746.jpg
U may try 2pcs Mobius, one on each side from sunshade. U will get combined ulta-wide FOV.

U may try 2pcs Mobius, one on each side from sunshade. U will get combined ulta-wide FOV.

Great idea, may do this in the future. Happy with this set up right now.

Great idea, may do this in the future. Happy with this set up right now.

Yeah, your set-up is nice ad neat. Especially I like that magnetic ball-joint phone holder idea. I have been looking at this for over 1 year to try as a front camera mount solution to have a quick release and 360 degree rotation all-in-one, maybe one day will try.

I love the magnetic ball mounts. Tried using the modified helmet mount as detailed in this thread, but ended up with vibration and noise on the recordings. I went with https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00S2WXT38For around $10 I got the magnet and two bases, so I can easily move the Mobius from my car to the wife's.

Swapped the Mobius into my new motor today.

Not as discrete in this car, but does the job.

0e00407911ea479a693ce4b5072a4572.jpg

92e4ad0cdc7d4de99c7daf9e1d7e65e4.jpg

imag0398-resized-1920.jpg imag0400-resized-1920.jpg imag0399-resized-1920.jpg Completed my install into a Mk3 Skoda Octavia this weekend. Followed Dawg's example and thanks to him for answering a couple of questions.

It's a helmet mount cut down, screw removed and glued to the base. I'm really chuffed. You would be really lucky to spot it from outside the car and can be removed if wanted only leaving a small plastic square on the windscreen.

Nice install. If you want discrete, a 90 degrees lens C with the Mobius sticking to the side of mirror mount will be ideal. May have make a base to aim though.

Nice install. If you want discrete, a 90 degrees lens C with the Mobius sticking to the side of mirror mount will be ideal. May have make a base to aim though.

That's a cool idea for an installation like this! Somehow, I keep forgetting that the newly designed lens module and case can do that now.

Not that I can afford one at the moment, but which sellers have the 90° module listed for sale? I haven't noticed anyone selling them, although I haven't been paying that much attention.

I didn't know you could get a 90 degree lens module... The problem with my mirror housing is that there isn't a straight edge on it,curves every where! Makes it difficult to attach and aim. I experimented with sugru and magnets first to attach to the side, but it didn't work well. Think I just need to adjust my focus a touch now. It's just a tad close... The bonnet looks great though!

View attachment 7744 View attachment 7745 View attachment 7746 View attachment 7747 View attachment 7748 View attachment 7749
I've mounted my Mobius on the underside of the rear brake light housing. The underside is more or less flat, so with the Mobius mounted using the cradle that it came shipped with, the camera was picking up a lot of sky. With a clear unobstructed view the image consisted of approx 50% sky.

During testing I simply angled the camera down using Blue Tac. I found pointing the camera down made a massive difference to the image quality with a reduced over-exposure. Probably got the sky making up 1/3 of the image now with the camera angles down.

Moving on to experimental stage two of the install. Using the mitre saw and some scrap wood I made myself a wedge. Also used were the plastic box for a DLT tape and a PCI blanking plate I found lying around. After cutting the plastic box down to size I was left two lips, one at the front and at the side. Credit goes to Niko here as the purpose of the lips were to push the camera forward and to the side against the lips for consistent positioning of the camera.

Magnets were fitted to the cradle of the camera to allow a secure fix and at the same time an easy dismount if necessary. I'm using a 3m long USB cable and an external power pack mounted by the driver's seat. The mount is currently secured to the brake housing using double sided foam tape. It's very strong and despite the heatwave is still holding firm. There's a bit of give when pushed due to the foam tape, but as I don't touch the unit when in use that's not a problem. Not noticed any movement when operational.

Been at stage two for some months now! Will move on to stage 3 when I get around to it. Plan to use a wedge with a metal base attached and bypass the plastic box. May also use Dual Lock to fix the unit to the brake housing body. Looking at pics I don't think Dual Lock would give me a flush fitting though. One advantage of the foam tape currently used is that it's thin. Whereas a couple of pieces of Dual Lock fastened together have a thickness to them. Will experiment and see what works.

The above set up served me well for a good while. However, the various tapes and velcro finally gave up the ghost with the heat. Knocked up a more permanent solution using a plastic box I found lying around, the PCI blanking plate again and a wooden wedge. Bought some two part epoxy resin, Plasti-kote spray paint and some magnets off Amazon.

Again the design was to allow a secure fixing with the ability to easily mount and dismount the camera. The two lips allowed ensured the camera would be aligned consistently when pushed against the lips.

Attachments

• 20150616_154618_resized.jpg
    20150616_154618_resized.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 109
  • 20150616_161445_resized.jpg
    20150616_161445_resized.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 20150618_171144_resized.jpg
    20150618_171144_resized.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 20150703_172506_resized.jpg
    20150703_172506_resized.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 20150705_173907_resized.jpg
    20150705_173907_resized.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 20150706_193338_resized.jpg
    20150706_193338_resized.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 20150706_193056_resized.jpg
    20150706_193056_resized.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 105
  • 20150706_193239_resized.jpg
    20150706_193239_resized.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 20150706_193134_resized.jpg
    20150706_193134_resized.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 20150706_193016_resized.jpg
    20150706_193016_resized.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Been a long time lurker here, looking for the perfect discreet camera and looking for inspiration at the installations done in this thread.

So I went and bought a second Mobius - long story short, I sold my previous one when I sold my last car which I had never got round to fitting.
This is a C lens model.
I had come up with a plan to install it as discrete and integrated as possible, didn't want wires everywhere, suction cups, velcro stuck to the dash etc.
Having found that my Mini (2002 Cooper S) could be fitted with a number of different rear view mirror options, I thought that there must be some space in there for other electronics - and I was right.
Opening it up found space for putting in a Mobius camera once deconstructed with relatively little modification needed to get what I needed.

This is the work in progress, I am still waiting on a couple of bits at the moment - compact USB right angle, super capacitor and a 12v to 5v conversion circuit. The mirror is technically "scrap" as another one is on the way now that I have played about with the mounting options it should be a matter of a two holes to drill and removing a small piece of plastic inside to route cables.

Starting with stripping down the Mobius, I decided to increase the cooling capacity by adding a proper heat sink to it. It seems to be doing the job and can't hurt given that it is going to be enclosed mostly - I have the option of adding some cooling holes to the back of the mirror case if it gets too much. This was scavenged from an old BT Fibre modem, near enough a perfect size for the Mobius mainboard with not too much height.

Motherboard prepared with new heat transfer tape, a piece was also added to the bottom of the cooler which takes in the height difference between the memory and CPU with the small circuit by the usb port. A small dab of CPU heat paste added to keep in place.
I made a small cut of the motherboard by the microphone which just removed the mounting screw point for when it is in the case

Attached to the motherboard and secured with hot set glue. Bit messy but not ever going to be seen.

Test fitting of electronics and lens. Power lead from the super capacitor (currently using the battery) will be extended and fitted over by the lens area
Main board still needs a mounting solution. Currently thinking of a pair of rare earth magnets so that I can access the memory card if needbe (doesn't seem that I will be needing to get at it every trip and the mirror is easily unclipped to get inside) Other option is to print out a frame and a guide "chute" to the outside edge for the card.

After an hour or so messing around with the odd shaped housing found a position that worked well and gave plenty of clearance for the cables.
The hole in the middle opens up the factory pathway which is for the electronic dimming mirror - will be routing the 5V down this and the USB power convertor will be hidden in the headlining above. A quick disconnect will be added so that the entire mirror can be removed as it simply twists 90 degrees to remove from the car.

A view of the external. Off centre sadly as there is not any room behind the mechanism in the middle to get it all in and maintain the operation of the dazzle system. However this does then become close to straight on with the window once the mirror is adjusted to my normal driving position and the wide lens means we shouldn't be missing anything. There is some options on putting it in the mirror pivot cover at the top of the picture but would require quite a bit of fabrication.

Will post an update once the rest is complete and ready to mount

... I went and bought a second Mobius ... my Mini (2002 Cooper S) ...

You have excellent taste in cars & DashCams, & your installation is innovative. My one suggestion is that access to the MicroSD card should be as quick & easy as possible, as regular checks that video is being saved is a worthwhile precaution.

Last edited:
Been a long time lurker here, looking for the perfect discreet camera and looking for inspiration at the installations done in this thread.

So I went and bought a second Mobius - long story short, I sold my previous one when I sold my last car which I had never got round to fitting.
This is a C lens model.
I had come up with a plan to install it as discrete and integrated as possible, didn't want wires everywhere, suction cups, velcro stuck to the dash etc.
Having found that my Mini (2002 Cooper S) could be fitted with a number of different rear view mirror options, I thought that there must be some space in there for other electronics - and I was right.
Opening it up found space for putting in a Mobius camera once deconstructed with relatively little modification needed to get what I needed.

This is the work in progress, I am still waiting on a couple of bits at the moment - compact USB right angle, super capacitor and a 12v to 5v conversion circuit. The mirror is technically "scrap" as another one is on the way now that I have played about with the mounting options it should be a matter of a two holes to drill and removing a small piece of plastic inside to route cables.

Starting with stripping down the Mobius, I decided to increase the cooling capacity by adding a proper heat sink to it. It seems to be doing the job and can't hurt given that it is going to be enclosed mostly - I have the option of adding some cooling holes to the back of the mirror case if it gets too much. This was scavenged from an old BT Fibre modem, near enough a perfect size for the Mobius mainboard with not too much height.

Motherboard prepared with new heat transfer tape, a piece was also added to the bottom of the cooler which takes in the height difference between the memory and CPU with the small circuit by the usb port. A small dab of CPU heat paste added to keep in place.
I made a small cut of the motherboard by the microphone which just removed the mounting screw point for when it is in the case

Attached to the motherboard and secured with hot set glue. Bit messy but not ever going to be seen.

Test fitting of electronics and lens. Power lead from the super capacitor (currently using the battery) will be extended and fitted over by the lens area
Main board still needs a mounting solution. Currently thinking of a pair of rare earth magnets so that I can access the memory card if needbe (doesn't seem that I will be needing to get at it every trip and the mirror is easily unclipped to get inside) Other option is to print out a frame and a guide "chute" to the outside edge for the card.

After an hour or so messing around with the odd shaped housing found a position that worked well and gave plenty of clearance for the cables.
The hole in the middle opens up the factory pathway which is for the electronic dimming mirror - will be routing the 5V down this and the USB power convertor will be hidden in the headlining above. A quick disconnect will be added so that the entire mirror can be removed as it simply twists 90 degrees to remove from the car.

A view of the external. Off centre sadly as there is not any room behind the mechanism in the middle to get it all in and maintain the operation of the dazzle system. However this does then become close to straight on with the window once the mirror is adjusted to my normal driving position and the wide lens means we shouldn't be missing anything. There is some options on putting it in the mirror pivot cover at the top of the picture but would require quite a bit of fabrication.

Will post an update once the rest is complete and ready to mount
Nice work ;) I did it same way on a crappy mirror. But it was unusable at night (wasnt autodimm) so i use the rain sensor cover. I do not need to take memory card out, just in case of accident. So install and forgot :)

You have excellent taste in cars & DashCams, & your installation is innovative. My one suggestion is that access to the MicroSD card should be as quick & easy as possible, as regular checks that video is being saved is a worthwhile precaution.

Cheers for the feedback Russ.
I may have made a poor choice in the cable in that case, I can always use OTG on my phone to retrieve/check clip recording is working as expected - but bought a power and FPV cable ( http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbykin...us_USB_to_AV_Out_FPV_cable_with_Charging.html ) as the port connection was quite compact and came out to bare wire which was to help with mounting the camera in the mirror.
From what I know that will just have a short between pin 4+5 to put the AV output on. Will see if I can do anything when it arrives, or will make up a cable - could split it out to a USB connector on the mirror...

Back