Rear End Accident Caught On Dash Cam !

I think the red car thought he was behind the USPS truck that moved.
Absent minders...

the hitch on the truck probably did massive damage to the little red car. deserves a nelson!
nelson-haha.jpg

That is exactly why I have a hitch in my receiver 100% of the time. I've been struck like that at least 4 times. Each time, there was zero damage to my truck.

In fact, in once case, there was a very impatient little sports car that was riding my rear like a horny dog. It was in bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic, so everyone was boxed in. Traffic was moving at about 40 mph when I saw the pack ahead of me come to an abrupt stop. Knowing that the guy behind me was too short to see around my truck, I probably waited just a little longer than I needed to before applying my brakes... HARD. Sure enough, he kissed my hitch. Since traffic had fully stopped at that point, I got out, walked around the back to a huge cloud of steam. The hitch punctured his radiator. He got out, looked at both vehicles, and said, "Well, it doesn't look like your truck has any damage..." I said, "Yup. Take care." I got back in and left with the moving traffic - leaving him on the side of the road. I felt bad for... wait. No, I didn't feel bad at all. I can only hope he no longer tailgates like that. This was before I had my rear and side cameras, unfortunately.

Once had a middle age man in front of me try to go in between a prime mover and it's trailor. I honked at him and he stopped and looked beweldered after quickly realizing his error, all traffic was stopped, so he must have thought(quick there is a gap behind this truck) he wanted to switch lanes. That would have been amazing if he ended up hitting the underside of the trailor.

That is exactly why I have a hitch in my receiver 100% of the time. I've been struck like that at least 4 times. Each time, there was zero damage to my truck.

In fact, in once case, there was a very impatient little sports car that was riding my rear like a horny dog. It was in bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic, so everyone was boxed in. Traffic was moving at about 40 mph when I saw the pack ahead of me come to an abrupt stop. Knowing that the guy behind me was too short to see around my truck, I probably waited just a little longer than I needed to before applying my brakes... HARD. Sure enough, he kissed my hitch. Since traffic had fully stopped at that point, I got out, walked around the back to a huge cloud of steam. The hitch punctured his radiator. He got out, looked at both vehicles, and said, "Well, it doesn't look like your truck has any damage..." I said, "Yup. Take care." I got back in and left with the moving traffic - leaving him on the side of the road. I felt bad for... wait. No, I didn't feel bad at all. I can only hope he no longer tailgates like that. This was before I had my rear and side cameras, unfortunately.

I'm sure you checked to make sure there weren't any little kids in the car before you purposely caused an accident.

... you purposely caused an accident.

He did not cause the accident. He may have created a situation where the chance of an accident was increased but the cause of the accident was the car following too close. :rolleyes:

What he did was not the smartest thing ever done (juvenile, stupid and equivalent to 'brake checking' IMO :mad: ) , and not something I personally would do, it was not the base cause of the accident. If traffic had actually stopped quickly instead of just his truck the outcome would have been the same.

He did not cause the accident. He may have created a situation where the chance of an accident was increased but the cause of the accident was the car following too close. :rolleyes:

What he did was not the smartest thing ever done (juvenile, stupid and equivalent to 'brake checking' IMO :mad: ) , and not something I personally would do, it was not the base cause of the accident. If traffic had actually stopped quickly instead of just his truck the outcome would have been the same.

I stand by my statement. While the other driver was following too closely, he knew if he stopped correctly that car wouldn't hit him. So he purposely created a situation that should not have existed so the car behind him would hit him. He even admits he expected the guy to hit him.

I stand by my statement. While the other driver was following too closely, he knew if he stopped correctly that car wouldn't hit him. So he purposely created a situation that should not have existed so the car behind him would hit him. He even admits he expected the guy to hit him.

At ease guy. Chances are, had I stopped with just the amount of force needed to make a SAFE stop, he STILL would have hit me. There was less than 2' between my hitch and his bumper. Did he hit harder than he would have otherwise? Probably. But you know what? I don't give a rat's ***. "Oh but for the children" doesn't wash with me. 40 MPH traffic, he hit me at maybe 10MPH. If anything, I did the world some good by teaching the guy a very expensive lesson without harming any other driver/vehicle. Maybe now he'll keep his distance, and as a consequence, maybe he won't get into a much worse wreck, where his children might have been injured. A lot of hypothetical maybes. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

You drive the way you feel safe, and I will drive the way I want. Don't ride my ***, and you won't have to worry about yourself or your kids.

Back