Recommend a dash camera for hot climate

sac02

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, this forum is a great resource. I have been reading a lot the last few days because I want to get my first dashcam for permanent in-vehicle use.

I have read several mentions about some cams that have problems with overheating and poor reliability in high temperature environments.

I live in Texas, USA, and it is very common (over 100 days per year) for exterior temperature to be over 100°F (>38°C). My vehicle is air conditioned, but I must park in a parking lot with no shade at work, so the interior of the vehicle is very very hot all day, and the camera would begin operation in hot conditions until the AC can catch up.

So I think for me a very important criteria in a dashcam is high temperature durability. Can you recommend a camera for this situation?

I have read about the advantages that capacitors offer, so should I assume that I should focus my search on units with capacitors instead of batteries.

+1 for the Panorama S, the built in capacitor is far superior to a battery. It's only used to gracefully close the recorded file should you suddenly lose power so the high heat capable capacitor is a far smarter choice. Panorama has a very low defect rate, and extra high quality assurance earning it the "Best All Around" dashcam on this site. (current king) You get what you pay for applies here. It also has built in Motion Detection (aka Parking Mode)

If your budget doesn't allow for the top end Panorama, Niko breaks it down well here:
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/need-a-recommendation.6026/#post-71915
(you can see my comment a few before that one as well)

The majority of all our RoadCam Panorama S customers are in Texas believe it or not. They are all thrilled with the performance.

Last edited:
Basically, you'll want something with a capacitor instead of a battery

Unfortunately the Panorama is not in the budget at this point. :(

I have seen discussion of the G1W-C, and being able to purchase a capacitor for the Mobius. Are there other capacitor based cameras I should be considering?

For the lower price end of the market & for the best Dash Cam "Bang for your Buck", both the G1W-C and Mobius punch well above their selling price!
Can't think of other Dash Cams with Capacitor capability at that end of the market.

I live in Texas, USA, and it is very common (over 100 days per year) for exterior temperature to be over 100°F (>38°C). My vehicle is air conditioned, but I must park in a parking lot with no shade at work, so the interior of the vehicle is very very hot all day, and the camera would begin operation in hot conditions until the AC can catch up.

Are you okay with removing the dashcam when you go into the office? This obviously means you won't get any Parking Mode features, but you could look into the Mini 0801 or 0803. Those mounts have a dock which make the camera removable when you have to park in the hot sun.

No, I need a true set-it-and-forget-it solution.

I've tried using cell phone as dash cam a couple times, and having to do some extra manual process each time I get in the car is not something I can do reliably long term.

right now I think the Panorama is the only product that meets your needs, if it's more than you want to spend it would either mean raising your budget or lowering your expectations

No, I need a true set-it-and-forget-it solution.

I've tried using cell phone as dash cam a couple times, and having to do some extra manual process each time I get in the car is not something I can do reliably long term.
Super capacitor Möbius with an extended lens. Hide the main unit in the shaded area of your windshield (dots or blue tint, or even on your roof, where the sun can't shine) and put the lens where you want.

Super capacitor Möbius with an extended lens. Hide the main unit in the shaded area of your windshield (dots or blue tint, or even on your roof, where the sun can't shine) and put the lens where you want.

safer with capacitors but still doesn't have any sort of thermal protection

safer with capacitors but still doesn't have any sort of thermal protection
I don't think he has a choice in this matter, anything that's better but cheaper then a pano?

Back