Recommendation for US

HotMess

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Dashcammers! :) I'm looking for a recommendation for a small, low-profile dashcam under $100 US that can be hard-wired into my car. I'd also like to have the motion-detection feature to capture damage to my car while it's parked, but I guess that's not absolutely essential. I don't want GPS, unless of course, one of you can tell me why I'd really, really need it. :p Based on reviews I'd read, I was looking at the DVR-027, but I guess that's since been replaced, and now I'm totally confused. Like everyone else, I want decent quality video, reliable performance, ease of use, no gaps, and no eff-ups.

Also, I've read that the best place to buy these without getting ripped off is eBay, specifically a seller called "esotre009". Would you all agree? Apparently, Amazon is full of fakes?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

P.S. If anyone can link me to a site that describes what's involved in hard-wiring this to the car, I'd really appreciate it.

The under $100 shortlist: G1W or G1W-C, Mobius (ultra small, no screen), GT680W (black version), or newly available RX300.
The following sellers are reputable: foxoffer.com, estore009 (ebay), eletoponline365 (ebay) all good places to buy if you want to buy from China. spytecinc.com or novotm (ebay) if you want a US based vendor. Hope that helps. Time to do your homework and research this site.
DVR 027 was nice for it's time (I still have one in use) but things have moved on since then.

I can personally vouch for the G1w i use mine all the time in different cars. I can also recommend estore009 as I have bought a DVR-027 off them back when they were the best bang for the bucks. I bought an extra suction cup and my G1W off them as well.

I can also vouch for Spytec. I bought my Vico WF1 off of them Shipped fast was in English and Vico has come through with updates although it is a higher end higher priced device.

The under $100 shortlist: G1W or G1W-C, Mobius (ultra small, no screen), GT680W (black version), or newly available RX300.
The following sellers are reputable: foxoffer.com, estore009 (ebay), eletoponline365 (ebay) all good places to buy if you want to buy from China. spytecinc.com or novotm (ebay) if you want a US based vendor. Hope that helps. Time to do your homework and research this site.
DVR 027 was nice for it's time (I still have one in use) but things have moved on since then.

Ya what Gurkha9 said! Oh and add in the mini 0801

Welcome, HotMess.

Check out the vendor feedback forum for other vendors. I've bought from e-Prance on Amazon a few times (still waiting for my 2nd order, though).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya what Gurkha9 said! Oh and add in the mini 0801

Have they finally resolved the firmware problems? I used to subscribe to the 0801 main thread, but had to stop as it seemed suitable only for masochists!

Yeah still some headaches for the Mini 0801. It would not make my shortlist like a few other NT96650 cameras.

It seems the last firmware made it stable and added MPH. There is a more recent firmware still, and it seems they have it worked out

Outstanding suggestions. Thanks so much to all of you for taking the time to help me. Now I just need to make up my mind! I really need this to be as discreet as possible, as I drive (and park) in some very rough urban areas for my job. I like the small size of the Mobius quite a lot, but it has no LCD. I have to decide how much that matters to me.

Thanks again!
:)

Outstanding suggestions. Thanks so much to all of you for taking the time to help me. Now I just need to make up my mind! I really need this to be as discreet as possible, as I drive (and park) in some very rough urban areas for my job. I like the small size of the Mobius quite a lot, but it has no LCD. I have to decide how much that matters to me.

I personally find the size and video quality of the Mobius to out weigh the lack of a screen. It might be little more "geeky" to set up as you either need a Windows PC (need to download free app) or an Android phone and a OTG cable (not all phones will work with the free app). If you want a simpler menu driven conventional dash cam and are looking for a starter cam go with a G1W or G1W-C (only difference is a capacitor instead of a battery). Others not mentioned would also include the LS650W and VF300W both from foxoffer.com. They're similar to the GT680W hardware wise, however they are both bigger than the GT680W and RX300. If your priority #1 is to have a cam that is as discreet as possible, it's a no brainer - go for the Mobius. If you absolutely need to have a screen go with the GT680W or RX300 as they are the next up in size from the Mobius. I think the Mini 0801 has a nice size and is discreet but I'm not convinced that FW issues have been sorted. There are multiple factories making them with varying degrees of success. Read through the Mini 0801 thread for yourself and decide if it's for you or not.

Good thread, I'm trying out the 0801 but do need to figure out the request you were after, activated while parking for parking lot and unattended incidents. On one of my vehicles with dual batteries this will be no issue for parked period of times, the other vehicles not so much... sub'd for further suggestions!

Back