Dash cam Recommendations? 4K or not?

foggystone

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was considering installing a 2 camera dash cam on my vehicle. The installer that installed my Viper alarm suggested the Blackvue 750S 2 Channel. There's going to be a newer DR900S with 4k quality. Do you think it's worth it to get the 4k?

There's going to be a newer DR900S with 4k quality. Do you think it's worth it to get the 4k?
it's not going to be, its been out for a year already, neither are great video quality though if that's important to you

Do you think it's worth it to get the 4k?
For reading small USA license plates, 4K is very useful, but I wouldn't choose that particular one. Do some reading of this forum first to understand the issues.

That thought came from one of my friends. Don't know it's already out for a year...Well guess I need to scratch that one. Well, thx Nigel, I've found some articles that are related to 4K. They say 4k got more details since their 3840x2160 pixel counts equate to four times the resolution of the full HD pictures. Other than that, it got better color handling, better image depth and so on. Sounds quite appealing. Thought if 4K dash cam is able to read car plates and other subtle things, I might just choose it. BlackVue cameras might not suit for me since I don't really need the cloud features. After researching the market, I got a Rove R2-4K for my car, and it ended up being a pretty decent camera, with pretty decent video quality :)

That thought came from one of my friends. Don't know it's already out for a year...Well guess I need to scratch that one. Well, thx Nigel, I've found some articles that are related to 4K. They say 4k got more details since their 3840x2160 pixel counts equate to four times the resolution of the full HD pictures. Other than that, it got better color handling, better image depth and so on. Sounds quite appealing. Thought if 4K dash cam is able to read car plates and other subtle things, I might just choose it. BlackVue cameras might not suit for me since I don't really need the cloud features. After researching the market, I got a Rove R2-4K for my car, and it ended up being a pretty decent camera, with pretty decent video quality :)
ROVE R2 4K is a fake 4K camera which use OV4689 4MP sensor instead of 8MP sensor.

ROVE R2 4K is a fake 4K camera which use OV4689 4MP sensor instead of 8MP sensor.
How about a reply to the A129 Duo Bufferd Parking Mode issue Viofo!

How about a reply to the A129 Duo Bufferd Parking Mode issue Viofo!
I have read that post 20 seconds ago before I saw your post.

Generally, I want to reply that, but I thought someone will still not happy, so better to not reply if we are still working on that.

We have done some changes for the firmware and testing it now, but there are a lot of changes for G-sensor, so still need some time for testing and updating.

I have read that post 20 seconds ago before I saw your post.

Generally, I want to reply that, but I thought someone will still not happy, so better to not reply if we are still working on that.

We have done some changes for the firmware and testing it now, but there are a lot of changes for G-sensor, so still need some time for testing and updating.

When firmware versions 1.8 and 1.9 were released for the A129 Duo, they both went through extensive beta testing. Viofo released firmware version 1.9 as a good "non-beta" firmware for the A129 Duo. The fact was, only half of the buffered-parking mode worked with that "new updated firmware" (motion detection); the other half, g-sensor was broken. - - And yet, Viofo released the "non-beta v. 1.9" as a good product for Viofo customers to use. - - How does that happen?

And so well over a month ago, I was told by you that you guys needed to do some more "testing & updating" and was told it would take a month to fix. That time-period seemed reasonable, so I did not post to this forum during that month, giving you guys the space and the time you said you needed. But the month has long-passed with "no fix"!!! - - When I followed-up with you about the delay, I was told that "you have no idea when the problem will be fixed". Of course, now you're telling others here on this forum the "exact same thing" you told me well over a month ago: "...still need some time for testing and updating."

It's very clear that Viofo is giving "priority" to the A129 Pro product which will mean more sales for Viofo. That's great for Viofo, but not so great
for existing customers. But in time, those "new customers" will be on the receiving-end of Viofo's service and find that it takes 3 to 4 days to get a reply from "customer service" and learn that half the time the "questions asked" are not answered. So then the customer has to re-send an email to the Company and wait another 3 to 4 days for a reply to the question originally asked! - - And hopefully the new customers' products don't run into any technical snags because it could take many months to resolve their problem(s).

In hindsight, had I known that the Viofo product I purchased (A129 Duo) would not be working properly for months and that "customer service" would be so poor, I would have made a different choice in my dash cam purchase. - - Saving a few bucks for a product that doesn't work just isn't worth it!

Back