Recommendations for a high quality - inexpensive dashcam?

kiwi

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
DVR-207
Hi from Australia :D

I'm new here and apologies if this is the incorrect sub forum to post this.

I'm the author or creator of CruzinStreets (some of you maybe subscribers?)

Here is an example of my work:

Any who, I used to use my iPhone as it was of very H/Q but because it's so hot now it tends to overheat. So, there are soooo many products on the market that I thought, what best place to ask then a dashcam forum. So my question is, can anyone recommend me a dashcam (i've tried video hand held cams but they overheat too) that is inexpensive but of very high quality (similar to what i've been filming). I'm not worried about stamp dates and speeds etc, just video quality and would prefer to buy from Ebay.

Thanks in advance.

Cruzin.

Re: Recommendations for a high quality - inexpensive dashcam

Hi kiwi, welcome :D.

As you said, there are tonnes of dashcams out there. A good place to start would be the buying guides right here on the site. Check out the Dash Cam Comparison page and also the Buying Guide.

If you have further questions about particular cams or features then of course ask away, or see what's already been discussed in the various sub forums.

Enjoy your stay!

Wow what a resource, cheers for that - great information :)

kiwi said:
Hi from Australia :D
I'm the author or creator of CruzinStreets (some of you maybe subscribers?)

Hey that is cool i found your videos a few weeks ago and included them in my YouTube Dash Cam Directory in the video section of the forum.

kiwi said:
So my question is, can anyone recommend me a dashcam (i've tried video hand held cams but they overheat too) that is inexpensive but of very high quality (similar to what i've been filming). I'm not worried about stamp dates and speeds etc, just video quality and would prefer to buy from Ebay.

Thanks in advance.

Cruzin.

Of course as most people say you get what you pay for so finding a high quality Dash Cam with out spending a bit of money is a little tough. if you are looking to get away cheap and decent the DVR-027 could be the way to go I got mine for 60 USD from estore009 on eBay as recommended by DashCamMan's FAQ. It records in 720 so not the highest quality camera and has a few small night time issues, but for the price it does well

Or you could spend around 100 and get a F500LHD that does to 1080, but the camera's physical size can be a draw back and it is also possible to get one without a wide angle lense witch would of course would not give much of a view.

Also if you are going to be spending 100 dollars you might want to consider spending the extra 20 dollars and grab a GS1000 with a smaller size and GPS in case you would happen to need it.

Last edited by a moderator:

CheckYourLights said:
Also if you are going to be spending 100 dollars you might want to consider spending the extra 20 dollars and grab a GS1000 with a smaller size and GPS in case you would happen to need it.

is that the going price?

jokiin said:
CheckYourLights said:

is that the going price?

When you say it like that that makes me a little nervous the price is going to go up ha.
That's what i have read though. I don't have one myself.

kiwi said:
Any who, I used to use my iPhone as it was of very H/Q but because it's so hot now it tends to overheat.
Do you leave your phone/camera in your car (parked in the sun)?
Is your A/C not enough?
If your current video is sufficient but the camera/phone gets hot from absorbing sunlight, why not place a visor over it and/or invest in a 12V cooler (like this) and/or fan (like this).
Won't get much cheaper than that.

CheckYourLights said:
jokiin said:
CheckYourLights said:

is that the going price?

When you say it like that that makes me a little nervous the price is going to go up ha.
That's what i have read though. I don't have one myself.

material prices change from time to time but not enough for it to impact pricing so don't worry about that

I had a different reason for asking what the going price was

jokiin said:
material prices change from time to time but not enough for it to impact pricing so don't worry about that

That's good. With other companies raising the price of their DashCams it is a little tough. I would really like to get something like a GS1000 that will do 1080 and has GPS, but i am trying to hold out for a few more months and see how the GS8000 shapes up.

I'm sort of in the same boat as Cruzin I don't want a knock off of course, but would like something a little better then my DVR-027 with GPS, but also don't have the $200+ extra right now to pick up something like a FineVu or Blackvue Camera

kiwi said:
I watched the first few minutes of the video.
1. The speed limit is the UPPER limit, not the minimum.
2. Stop honking at everyone. It's very annoying and stresses everybody.
3. What's the point of these videos?

ExMet said:
kiwi said:
I watched the first few minutes of the video.
1. The speed limit is the UPPER limit, not the minimum.
2. Stop honking at everyone. It's very annoying and stresses everybody.
3. What's the point of these videos?
That is an old one (quite a few months) It just had a high number of views.

Here is my most recent capture (and you can see why I'm in the market for another dashcam).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guVeUjFytQE

Last edited by a moderator:

CheckYourLights said:
jokiin said:

That's good. With other companies raising the price of their DashCams it is a little tough. I would really like to get something like a GS1000 that will do 1080 and has GPS, but i am trying to hold out for a few more months and see how the GS8000 shapes up.

if you mean the Korean cams and the recent price rises that's all to do with them being sold outside of their regular channels, the Koreans are protecting their distributors which is good, but they're also engaging in price fixing which is bad, keeping the price artificially high as a result

The Korean manufacturers will just hurt themselves with this practice in the long run. Really they should be doing as much as possible to get cameras to consumers at a reasonable price given this is a pretty new market. That way they could establish a name for themselves and build a brand. I think it won't be long until the big players (Garmin, Sony, Canon, etc.) get into this market with established distribution channels. Then the Korean manufacturers will realize their small and greedy distributors are a poor way to reach consumers.

DashCamMan said:
The Korean manufacturers will just hurt themselves with this practice in the long run. Really they should be doing as much as possible to get cameras to consumers at a reasonable price given this is a pretty new market. That way they could establish a name for themselves and build a brand. I think it won't be long until the big players (Garmin, Sony, Canon, etc.) get into this market with established distribution channels. Then the Korean manufacturers will realize their small and greedy distributors are a poor way to reach consumers.

I agree with what you're saying, big names could come along and own this market if they wanted to, whether they are interested in doing that though remains to be seen, the Koreans stifling distribution is counter productive should the big names decide to enter this market as you really want to build some brand recognition before big players make their move in order to have a chance at survival, if anything though the big brands might chase after the sport cam business first, GoPro has carved themselves out a lucrative category which I'm sure must be raising some eyebrows in some corporate boardrooms around the world, the dashcams are large business primarily in Korea (driven by insurance company incentives), and Russia (driven by fraud prevention and crazy drivers on icy roads), two markets which are probably not so easy for bigger brands to crack, if the product gets traction in more traditional western markets where it's easier to do business then certainly the likes of Sony, Cannon etc might be more interested, time will tell I guess

I've worked through multiple categories of consumer electronics over the last 20 years and have seen this same situation before, typically Korean companies hold themselves in higher regard than everyone else does (the success of Samsumg and LG has done a lot to inspire other Korean companies), the Koreans are great at innovating in new product categories and leading development, that's certainly a strength, they have a few weaknesses though, they very often don't finish sorting the bugs on a product before moving on to a newer version, all too often leaving the consumer high and dry with no support, they also are so loyal to their homeland that a better solution to a problem may exist but they are reluctant to use it and will instead stick with Korean solutions even if not the best option, patriotism is great but it costs them dearly sometimes, they are also very expensive so once a product reaches a stage where it can be mass produced in China they price themselves out of the market

Back