recommendations for dashcam which can record at night well with motion detector

jamesjeffers

Reaction score
Country
Australia
was looking at hd dashcams that could record well at night through motion detection or impact detection.
i would like one front and rear but would rather both be 1080p recording or higher, so not like the blackvue dual channel.
these will be hardwired in, so may not use the cigarette lighter power supply.
short list so far includes:

mini 0803
Shadow GT680W
Vico-TF2+ Premium
GS6000 A7
DOD LS300W / GT300W

i am open to recommendations/tips and any assistance would be much appreciated

also i have ~10% tints all round

Iroad 3800FU may be suitable for your needs; as far as I understand it is very similar to Panorama in hardware and video quality.

Manufacturer's page

Panorama S pretty much meets all those requirements. Add the hard wire kit. WDR at night is excellent, automatic motion parking mode, g-sensor, the works.

was looking at hd dashcams that could record well at night through motion detection or impact detection.
also i have ~10% tints all round

If you are looking for something to do over night car protection in all honesty if possible you are going to want to look into a home mounted camera system looking at the car with motion detection. While the Panorama S is good and I had personally used the TF2 for what you are trying to do for a few weeks when I first bought it I would advise against it.

Having a building mounted camera system is so much nicer. With the TF2 I had to make sure I parked under a street light and at family members house where there was no streetlight until the end of the block the camera could barely see anything.

Also at least with the TF2 it has a huge red light on it that you have to keep tape on over night or it will draw attation to your car for sure.

and lastly if you have really dark tinted rear windows (only letting %10 light in) you can just about forget seeing anything at night

I agree with CYL. A fixed Infra-red capable CCTV camera covering your parking area at night will be far superior than dash cams in the vehicle straining to perform at the limits of (or probably beyond) their capabilities.

Also, if someone were to break into your vehicle in the middle of the night, they might even notice and steal your cameras. With a camera on a nearby building you would capture the whole event no matter what happens. Another consideration, if theft is your concern, is that often just having a visible CCTV camera there in the first place acts as a major deterrent to crime.

Last edited:
thanks for the help guys
got a few things to think about it seems

cheers
=)

you can go for TimeTec RoadHawk 1080p .. here's a review link for your help
Or you could just go over to the RoadHawk section of the forum and read something like this then find something that won't look like you have a 250 dollar big black brick in front of your windscreen.

You could also spend about 50 more dollars and get a nice dual camera set up like the X2 that pre buffers parking mode video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back