Recommended Memory Card Storage

Santa

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DVR-207
I drive a smart car (http://www.LittleRedSleigh.com) and have a front only DashCam. After several issues with folks following too close I would like to get a front/rear camera and I am seriously considering the X2. I see where you can put 2 128GB MicroSD cards in the camera, but I don't really want to spend as much on the memory cards as I am on the camera itself. How many hours of recording do you get per GB? This would help me decide which cards to get. Also, does Pier28 offer any package deals for the camera and two cards?

Thanks in advance. Ho Ho Ho!

Well if I had bothered to scroll down I would have seen the bundle with 2 32GB cards and the GPS - that looks like what I want. Just not sure how long it will record...

Ho Ho Ho

15Mbit/s encoding translates to 1.875MB/s which means that if you set the following storage allocation (NORMAL/EVENT/PARKING=80%/10%/10%) then 32GB after formatting is ~29.76GB or 30474MB and for normal driving mode there is 24380MB.
That means you'll have a record of your driving going back ~216 minutes or 3.6 hours.
Since there's 1 card per camera, that means each camera has 3.6 hours before the oldest video is overwritten.

Hi Happy to help, I just traded in my Smart Car for a Ford Explorer a few days ago actually. My Smart was a fun car, drove it for 5 years.

The X2 records in two bitrate modes 12mbps and/or 15mbps. Use this handy page to calculate time.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/link-forums/recording-time-calculator.50/
X2 records in VBR (Variable Bitrate) and not Constant Bitrate so you actually can fit even more.

The problem is the rear view mirror of the Smart is extra small, and the front X2 camera housing is bigger than normal making it not quite as as stealthy as you might want it to be.

For my smart I had one SG9665GC in the front and and back. (15mbps, and Sony IMG322 Sensor as well) They come with 32GB cards pre-installed so you don't have to buy one as well unless you want to upgrade to 64GB etc. SG9665GC is the perfect tiny wedge shape glass hugging stealth design. I can hook you up with a nigh bundle discount. I'll send a PM now.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI: Pier28's link doesn't take into account the space you'll lose due to formatting and 1000-1024 conversion, which from what I remember is roughly 7%, so with every memory card, just multiply the size like 32GB by 0.93.
Which will match what I wrote in my post, ~3.6 hours.

I don't know how variable that bit rate is considering I just checked my video and the bit rate stayed the same whether I was driving or stationary with a still view of an empty street.
I am getting 565MB per 5 minutes which is 1.883MB/s.

You guys are AWESOME! Thank you so much. I never knew there was a calcualtor out there :)

Merry Christmas - all year long!
Santa

Back