Recording Volume Issue

RufflesSCO

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 V3, iTronics ITB-100HD
Hi, I just bought the A119 V3 and installed it yesterday but I'm finding something a bit annoying. I noticed that the dashcam recording volume seems to fluctuate depending on the amount of ambient noise.

For example, when I'm just driving normally and there's no traffic around me, everything in the video is quiet, including the music that's playing from my car stereo. If there's lots of cars driving past me creating wind noise and lots engine sounds, the dashcam records at a higher volume. I can notice this because all of a sudden the music in the video becomes louder as well. Then the music in the video goes back to being very quiet when there's no other outside noise around.

Is this normal? I've watched some other videos on youtube and the sound seems pretty steady. The dashcam came with the latest firmware: V2.0(update 2020.0711).

what program are you using for playback, have you tried any other player?
I use VLC media player as my default player. I compared it to the dashcam recordings from the ITB100-HD that I just replaced with the A119v3, and it doesn't have the same issue so I don't think it's likely a player issue. I haven't tried any other players though.

I have the dashcam settings recording with H.264 codec, 2560x1440P 30fps and in mp4 format. Bitrate set to high.

I've tried flashing the latest firmware even though it came with it installed, but still no difference.

It's almost like the microphone is only recording at full volume when it detects lots of noise.

Post a raw .mp4 download link for someone else to play it.
These are two 3-minute clips. After watching some more clips, I don't think it's ambient noise that causes the blips in volume. I can't pin point what's going on it but you can kind of hear the music sort of briefly goes up in volume at times. Either way, the volume in the video is really quiet to begin with

Last edited:
Could it be that your car audio system is turning its volume up with speed?

Could it be that your car audio system is turning its volume up with speed?
That's a good guess but I actually don't have that feature turned on in my car. I didn't have issues with uneven volume using my last dashcam either.

Here is another clip with my car just parked and music playing. This kind of gives a better idea of what the issue I'm noticing.

Last edited:
Hmmm, that sound doesn't seem right. That last clip, although your link forces me to play it in a browser, seems crackly.

I wonder if you have any electrical interference. Can you temporarily plug the cam into a power socket and position it somewhere away from the windscreen, front seat for example.

Hmmm, that sound doesn't seem right. That last clip, although your link forces me to play it in a browser, seems crackly.

I wonder if you have any electrical interference. Can you temporarily plug the cam into a power socket and position it somewhere away from the windscreen, front seat for example.
I will try that later.

On the side of the cam where the memory card is, there's a small hole with an "R" next to it. Is that the mic hole? It looks like it's plugged blocked on mine. Can anyone confirm if theirs is like that too? If not, It could be contributing to the sound issues.
PXL_20201020_113335466.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20201020_113335466.jpg
    PXL_20201020_113335466.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 2
Might be worth a shot ?

Will give it a shot.

I got in touch with the retailer I bought it from and told them the issue. They said they are able to replace the unit for me but wanted me to try flashing with the latest firmware first, which I've already tried.

I'm just waiting to hear back to see if I'd have to pay for return shipping as well.

Ok so an update. I received a replacement unit and it's doing the exact same thing. I guess there was nothing "wrong" with my original one and I was just expecting better audio quality? Sucks but I guess I can live with it.

We now have flickering night footage and a sound issue being reported.

What would be useful to know from Viofo is, has anything changed in recent manufacture, because if not then the only 2 other factors is the power supply and the SDCard.

As we all know, vehicle power via USB can be hit and miss so as per my post in the flickering thread, can you plug the unit into a mobile phone charging 'brick', indoors away from the vehicle and see if the sound issue persists. Then try another fast card.

We now have flickering night footage and a sound issue being reported.

What would be useful to know from Viofo is, has anything changed in recent manufacture, because if not then the only 2 other factors is the power supply and the SDCard.

As we all know, vehicle power via USB can be hit and miss so as per my post in the flickering thread, can you plug the unit into a mobile phone charging 'brick', indoors away from the vehicle and see if the sound issue persists. Then try another fast card.
I tried it today using a power bank and unfortunately same issue. Also tried using a different 12v adapter and a different micro sd (Samsung evo select and pro endurance).

I mean I guess the important thing is that it's at least recording audio. It's not a big problem but I just find it annoying when reviewing stuff.

Here's another sample clip. The inconsistencies in volume are most noticeable in the first 45 seconds.

As for the overall volume level, does it sound normal or is it still low compared to others?

All these different power sources, are they still being connected in the car, have you tested it indoors away from the vehicle electronics.

Back