Red Light Runner Receives Instant Justice

al_x

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9663DC, A119, B40, G1W

At first I thought it was 3 cars that got caught but after an analysis of the flash pattern from the red light cameras, I concluded that it was only the last car that entered the intersection on red. The driver didn't have much of a reaction. I stared at him as he passed hoping he would have one.

The white flash you see is coming from a red light camera which captures license plate info and sends a fine of ~$500 to the registered owner. Those few minutes he saved sure were expensive. Take no sympathy for this driver...the lights here stay yellow for 4.3 seconds before turning red. Plenty of time to stop considering the position he was in and the speed..

That's an expensive ticket from a red-light camera!

we've been working on getting rid of red light cameras all over the US because of fraud and corruption. several studies have shown how they deliberately shorten the yellow to cause more people to run the red so they can drive up revenue. others have shown how t-bone type crashes may go down at intersections with red light cameras, but rear-ender crashes go way up because people panic - they don't want a photo ticket, so they stand on the brakes and SURPRISE they get creamed from behind. lots of red light cameras also don't seem to understand that turning right on red is legal in most places, and will snap a photo and issue a ticket for that, even when you come to a complete stop.

some jurisdictions where they have an unbreakable contract with the red light camera company and have had a public uprising against the cameras have made laws that say you don't HAVE to pay a redlight camera ticket if you get one, and it doesn't assess points or anything against you. those places are unfortunately few and far between.

Back