Impatient (18 sec) Red Light Runner Audi Q5

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Not sure why he stopped on the 1st place at Red traffic lights if he then decided to drive through Red Lights 18 sec before Green Light?

No class what so ever.
To be honest if i knew a person i was related to or had relationships with behaved like this, i would be extremely suspicious about everything the person said or do, and i would properly break up the relationship due to that.

I'll admit I've done this before. There's 2 intersections on my way into work (at 4am) and for whatever reason the light changes when there's no cross traffic (this is on a major 4 lane county highway). So I'll sit there for a few seconds and just go though the red. Yes, that is not legal and I have sent a complaint to the city/ county but it falls on deaf ears.

Hehe trust me i have been there too, and i might even at times have rolled down my window and screamed at a red light in a empty intersection.

But i am very old school, so if its in the middle of the night and i am walking and i need to cross aa pedestrian crossing, then i will wait until i get a green light, but having seen people not doing this for decades i will feel stupid for some reason.

Today most intersections not least on major roads are on sensors, so don't even have to lift when approaching those at night.

I'll admit I've done this before. There's 2 intersections on my way into work (at 4am) and for whatever reason the light changes when there's no cross traffic (this is on a major 4 lane county highway). So I'll sit there for a few seconds and just go though the red. Yes, that is not legal and I have sent a complaint to the city/ county but it falls on deaf ears.

During non-peak traffic hours, many signals 'default' to green for the primary road and red for the secondary cross-road to facilitate traffic flow. That's the normal where I live; very few lights are on timers anymore but rely on sensors to know when a car is present. Then they enter their usual time-delay-to-green mode once a car is sensed, and will change when that pre-set time is up. Sometimes lights are linked with one nearby, and with those the delay time is almost always large when only one car is waiting but is shortened if several are sensed.

Almost all the sensors are now buried coaxial cable which changes capacitance when squeezed by the weight of a car wheel running over them. Light vehicles like motorcycles may not be detected so here in SC they are allowed to go on red if it is safe to do so provided they were legally stopped at a light for a full minute prior. Until repaved you can see where the sensor coax is installed, an elongated octogon-shaped 'box' cut into the pavement usually very near the stopping line. If you can find where that is, stop your car with the front wheels in the box, wait a moment and release the brake then stop sharply. The sensor will 'think' another car is there after that. Repeat and another 'sensed car' goes into the system. Most lights will change quicker or instantly when it 'senses' more cross-traffic than on the main road. One slow traffic light I often used to get stuck at takes sensing of 3 cars to change so now knowing the trick, I don't get stuck waiting anymore :cool:

These same sensors can be manipulated electronically via a special transmitter which some emergency vehicles have installed. While technically it's illegal to manipulate them (directly addressed in SC Law), if the ERP is kept under 100mW you are authorized to transmit that signal by Federal FCC Rules which override State laws, and you could probably make a push-button device which would make the system 'think' there were several cars waiting, thus activating the change even slightly before you got there. I haven't tried this but I know the frequencies these work on and how they function so a simple carrier wave staccato burst (or several button presses) should do the trick. One of these days I'm going to build such a gadget and try it but given the low frequencies involved (and there being 2 frequencies in use) designing the oscillator will take a bit of effort.

It's amazing what you can learn online when you're a bored insomniac with nothing better to do :ROFLMAO:

Phil

Some intersections here though on sensors they do change to red on the main road, but as soon as you get nearer it change back to green again, and if you adhere to the speed limit on the spot no need to lift on the throttle.

This have always seemed silly to me :rolleyes: not least since some intersections here also do what SawMaster say and just go permanent green for the main road at night, and only a sensor activation on the side roads will make this change.

I ran one light myself leaving my neighborhood. Later I find out the triggers don't detect my Jeep. Now I would have to either sit there till someone else pulls up behind me to trigger it or make a right on red then a u-turn.

I ran a red light a few years ago, fortunately it was one of those events i forgot to include in my youtube uploads.
And no i did not "forget" it like that, i really did, and it bother me a little cuz i really wanted to share that as some commenters on my youtube videos seem to think i am a better driver than all other, which are of course not the case.
Okay it was also embarrassing just sitting there waiting for green and then when it turn green for the left turn lane i went strait over the intersection :oops:

Back