Reflection from windshield

monty

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

Sorry if this was addressed before. Sometimes during the day I get a reflection from my dashboard.

reflect.jpg

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks for any insight :)

Attachments

• reflect.jpg
    reflect.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited by a moderator:
Two choices.

2. Get your Mobius as close to the glass as you can. This usually requires a custom bracket.

I made a custom bracket which puts my Mobius within 1 mm of the screen glass but I still get dash reflections under some lighting conditions:

Attachments

• Mobius Reflections R.jpg
    Mobius Reflections R.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 78
Hello!

Sorry if this was addressed before. Sometimes during the day I get a reflection from my dashboard.

View attachment 4686

Your window reflections look like mine did before I 'fixed' it. The main culprit is the nice clean and shiny dashboard that is being reflected back onto the window. I bought a black, non-reflective dashboard cover and the problem disappeared. You can do a simple test by covering your dashboard with a black bath towel or sheet and you will see the difference it makes.

Surely a dashboard cover will cover the screen vents and the audio speakers.

Hello!

View attachment 4686

Your window reflections look like mine did before I 'fixed' it. The main culprit is the nice clean and shiny dashboard that is being reflected back onto the window. I bought a black, non-reflective dashboard cover and the problem disappeared. You can do a simple test by covering your dashboard with a black bath towel or sheet and you will see the difference
Surely a dashboard cover will cover the screen vents and the audio speakers.
No, not at all. They are custom made for your specific vehicle (year, make, model) the cutouts for vents, sensors etc. are all there.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Much appreciated as always :)

Monty

Your window reflections look like mine did before I 'fixed' it. The main culprit is the nice clean and shiny dashboard that is being reflected back onto the window. I bought a black, non-reflective dashboard cover and the problem disappeared. You can do a simple test by covering your dashboard with a black bath towel or sheet and you will see the difference

No, not at all. They are custom made for your specific vehicle (year, make, model) the cutouts for vents, sensors etc. are all there.

Unfortunately my reflections are caused by the screen vents and audio speakers so a dashboard cover with cut-outs isn't going to help.

Unfortunately my reflections are caused by the screen vents and audio speakers so a dashboard cover with cut-outs isn't going to help.

In that case, a polarising filter is your best option. If you have a pair of cinema 3d glasses you can test it out by rotating them in front of your camera. I cut a circle out of one of the lenses and stuck it on my cam.

In that case, a polarising filter is your best option. If you have a pair of cinema 3d glasses you can test it out by rotating them in front of your camera. I cut a circle out of one of the lenses and stuck it on my cam.

Yes I'm beginning to think that a polarising filter or is the only way to go. I've also been looking into dulling/ant-glare sprays but I can't find out how long they last in between applications. :(

Mounting the Mobius close to the windscreen and fitting some sort of custom made lens hood (close fitting to the windscreen, and non reflective material) would be worthwhile trying IMHO. Polarising filters are great, but not if you drive at night!

In a similar discussion the other day in a different thread I mentioned how I gave up on polarizers after much experimentation because they are not designed to handle constantly shifting reflection angles of light and along with the issue of having to remove the filter at night (and often forgetting). I agree with @murcod that lens hoods are the way to go. With my GT300W for example, I discovered that an old Kodak black plastic film 35mm canister is the exact diameter of the lens barrel and can be fashioned into a perfect slip-on lens shade. It doesn't completely eliminate reflections off the windscreen but it improves matters quite a bit. The trick is that it needs to be as deep as possible but still short enough to eliminate vignetting. I have plans for doing something similar with my Mobius and actually started working on this little project yesterday. The challenge with the Mobius is that unlike the GT300W which has a very wide lens barrels surrounding a very small diameter lens the Mobius lens unit is quite small including it's surround so vignetting is much more of a challenge when adding a hood. My plan for the moment is to use black corrugated plastic hose to construct a lens hood. In fact, one experiment I have in mind is to use a piece of hose wide enough to house the entire camera so that the hose can literally touch against the glass of the windscreen but should be wide enough to not cause vignetting. With a flexible corrugated lens hood "cushioned" against the glass it should eliminate all or most of the reflections. Of course, it remains to see how this scheme will work.

The type of hose I plan to use looks like this:

hose.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi folks, I know that there are others out there who have done polarisers for the mobius, but I thought I'd show mine, which was made in 6 minutes. It is easily slipped on or off. It can be quickly aligned to provide the maximum effect by a dab of tippex on lens cover and mobius.

To see how the polariser performed have a look at this video - especially at the end where you see the polariser being put in position.

I have since managed to remove the vignetting by making sure the polariser film was securely glued in that area. Cured it!

I've tried all the solutions. Including sprayon's, lubricants, CPLs and the like.

I've basically went with the most basic one. It's a matter of taste (some do not like the dashmat, even though it looks great on my Audi).

(before / after stills at the end)

Hi folks, I know that there are others out there who have done polarisers for the mobius, but I thought I'd show mine, which was made in 6 minutes. It is easily slipped on or off. It can be quickly aligned to provide the maximum effect by a dab of tippex on lens cover and mobius.

Thanks for the tip about viewing an LCD screen through the filter. I didn't know that.

I've tried all the solutions. Including sprayon's, lubricants, CPLs and the like.

I've basically went with the most basic one. It's a matter of taste (some do not like the dashmat, even though it looks great on my Audi).

(before / after stills at the end)

Back