Reformat

aunkster

Reaction score
Country
United States
How often should you reformat your as card ?
Is there a way to reformat while the card is in the can itself ?

Thank you

it does not seems necessary with the u1000, but i still do it every now and then
push and hold the record button till you hear a message

it does not seems necessary with the u1000, but i still do it every now and then
This is correct but just to clarify the Ignition must be on. It's about 5 seconds you hold the Manual Record button.

...We suggest to reformat the memory card regularly....
Why, specifically, do you make that suggestion?

Over the years I've heard that repeatedly from many, supposedly knowledgeable, sources - but there is never a definitive, cogent reason given. If you're making that recommendation there has to be a reason other than just parroting what's already been said by others.

Why, specifically, do you make that suggestion?

Over the years I've heard that repeatedly from many, supposedly knowledgeable, sources - but there is never a definitive, cogent reason given. If you're making that recommendation there has to be a reason other than just parroting what's already been said by others.
In my opinion it's 'better to be safe than sorry!' as they say. Cards can corrupt if small bits of data get left behind and no one wants to risk losing an important incident. So it pays to format the card periodically to refresh it, we in the UK recommend once a month but it's personal choice really.

This is correct but just to clarify the Ignition must be on. It's about 5 seconds you hold the Manual Record button.
Does this also include 3rd party sd cards ,i purchased a sd card with more gb when i first got my dash cam ,i believe its a sony and not the thinkware provided sd

Does this also include 3rd party sd cards ,i purchased a sd card with more gb when i first got my dash cam ,i believe its a sony and not the thinkware provided sd
If the Sony Card seems to be working Okay under normal conditions then i would say Yes. Not all cards will work correctly but generally they will give a Card Error message or Format Card message continuously. The odd one i have seen does appear to work Okay but has caused issues with recordings as the camera couldn't dump the data to the card quick enough causing the internal camera buffer memory to fill up, which then forces the Camera to reboot so it can dump that.

Cards are a sensitive item so we always prefer a Genuine Card being used. For example i found on the newer Q1000 & U3000 models if i used a Non Genuine Memory card (Sandisk Ultra) the camera appeared to be working 100% HOWEVER when you pressed the Manual Record button (That file should always be 1 minute, unless the Ignition is turned off) that the file lengths were random, some 1 second, some 26, 43 seconds etc. With a Genuine Card every file was the 1 minute length as it should be.

You could try with the Original Card if you have it still? If that works but the Sony doesn't i would say the Sony isn't fully compatible.

Hello,

We suggest to reformat the memory card regularly. Please visit the link for more information on how to reformat the memory card using different methods https://mondosystemhelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049210974-Formatting-the-MicroSD-Card
Do you need to be connected to the app when doing this ?

No

you can
- press and hold "record" (when camera on)
- use app to start format
- take out card & format in pc

In my opinion it's 'better to be safe than sorry!' as they say. Cards can corrupt if small bits of data get left behind and no one wants to risk losing an important incident. So it pays to format the card periodically to refresh it, we in the UK recommend once a month but it's personal choice really.
Yep, that's the standard answer - a non-answer, just more FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt). Nothing even closely resembling the "definitive, cogent reason" requested. :(

Yep, that's the standard answer - a non-answer, just more FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt). Nothing even closely resembling the "definitive, cogent reason" requested. :(

Well for me if FUD reduces the risk of losing an Incident while driving, that's good enough!

Well for me if FUD reduces the risk of losing an Incident while driving, that's good enough!

But the real question is: Does repeated reformatting of a memory card actually prevent or reduce the loss of footage or not and what is the definitive explanation for why it would?

DT MI has a point. For all the talk and rule of thumb recommendations to keep reformatting memory cards, the whole thing seems more on par with magical thinking and superstition. "Good enough" suggests that it simply makes you feel better to reformat but that is not a practical technical explanation.

As of 2024 I've been using dash cams for 14 years. I have 5 cameras in my vehicle. Like everyone else I reformat cards in my primary cameras because that's what we've been "trained" that this is what we're supposed to do but a couple of the cameras in my vehicle run for extended periods of time without my ever touching them (side cameras), yet when I check my footage everything is recording as it should even after many, many months. Maybe, out of habit, I'll reformat the cards in those cams when I adjust the time for daylight savings but not because it feels especially necessary. In 14 years I've had a couple of cards fail due to old age but never had one become corrupted due to not being reformatted often enough.

Last edited:
Back