Replacement of Lens version "L" camera

gente

Reaction score
Country
Germany
...after reading many threads here and looking some youtube videos i decided to replace the Lens of my 23L against one with IR Filter. Before i had problems with footage against sun, they are full off light fringes and violett flares. The videos the sun behind or no sunshining was with original lens very good.
But for the low price of 9 dollars (now 12 dollars:http://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras-sport-dv-accessories/pp_216636.html) i made a experiment. After replacement and focussing new lens with IR filter the result was really fantastic. No more flares on videos agains the sun, no mor violett patches.
The replacement is very easy, for focussing you need a micro HDMI to HDMI cable to connect to TV.
I can recommend the change each of the owners of the L version of xiaomi yi.

Attachments:
1. picture new and old lens, with and without IR filter
2015-10-01 001.JPG
2. video of lens replacement (now my footages looks like in youtube video)

Well done. I have also "L" version but i dont find so many fringes during recordig, or maybe im not so sensitive about it.
Now the question is - will you stay with "L" firmware? :)

Well done. I have also "L" version but i dont find so many fringes during recordig, or maybe im not so sensitive about it.
Now the question is - will you stay with "L" firmware? :)
...yes i will stay with it, the firmware is not the reason for fringes and hardware is and remains "L" ;)
The lens itself is not controlled by the firmware, it is like a window and brings the light to the sensor. The new lens now has a filter for the IR light coming directly from the sun, no more flares and fringes on the footage.

I might get this just for the mount. One of my cameras has a different lens and mount than all the others, and none of my alternate lenses fit this one, they don't screw down far enough to focus. It's a Z22 but looks different on the label from the other Z22. The text is bigger:

inside it looks like this

How to get rid of the glue? I don't have an "L" model, but I want to adjust my focus and don't want to damage my lense. The glue seems very solid.

Use hair dryer or heat gun to soften the glue.

I pry up gently with exact knife and pick it away

Hi, I am also considering adding an IR cut filter, although I don;t find many fringes, only that the image against the sun gets white-ish (although maybe a gamma correction would help)
I have found some filters which have 9.5mm diameter.
@gente Can you please measure the inside of your original lens (the one without IR cut) to see if this filter can be added at the sensor end of the lens?

Thanks

How to get rid of the glue? I don't have an "L" model, but I want to adjust my focus and don't want to damage my lense. The glue seems very solid.

Use isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud.It falls off.

Hi, I am also considering adding an IR cut filter, although I don;t find many fringes, only that the image against the sun gets white-ish (although maybe a gamma correction would help)
I have found some filters which have 9.5mm diameter.
@gente Can you please measure the inside of your original lens (the one without IR cut) to see if this filter can be added at the sensor end of the lens?

Thanks
...9,5mm seems to be good. I measured outside 12mm and inside 9,5mm!
Please tell me if you tested with your filters, how to mount, where you buy and about the price.
MFG
gente

I found some on ebay(3$ or so), ordered last night, it will probably be a month till they got here and test them.
I will probably mount it with some glue on the side of the lens, if they have a loosely fit

Filter mounted on glue? Why not with dedicated adapter?

Filter mounted on glue? Why not with dedicated adapter?

the filter will be mounted at the sensor end of the lens, not on the outside, like a normal filter.
I was thinking of adapting one for the outside, but it won't fit my waterproofcase.
Another options would be replacing the case lens with one with IR cut (maybe cutting to size from a regular photo filter), but I doubt that it will work well because of wide FOV (never mentioning that a making a filter of that size would be more expensive than 12$, the price of IR cut lens replacement)

I ordered a Yi cam. Now I'm thinking if I should order a replacement lens with IR filter. I didn't find any good before/after pictures where I could see the difference. Is the difference noticeable?
I would do time lapses and I'm afraid of lens glare when facing the sun.

Back