Right-angle mini USB connector

JakeBlade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been covered a million times already, but I've spent a couple of hours searching through posts to find a right-angle mini-to-mini USB connector to plug into the back of the mobius. The mobius 3m cable will then plug into the connector.

Will this work ok? https://www.ebay.com/itm/181021808431

If your going to use the Mobius as a dash cam , I would advise that attached to a windscreen bracket or a home made bracket, the camera will be mounted with the controls [heat sink side] facing down towards the dashboad. I hard wired my Mobius to auto record on ignition using this

If your going to use the Mobius as a dash cam , I would advise that attached to a windscreen bracket or a home made bracket, the camera will be mounted with the controls [heat sink side] facing down towards the dashboad. I hard wired my Mobius to auto record on ignition using this

Thanks, that's exactly how it will be mounted. Your eBay link: does the cable go left or right out the back of the mobius when hooked up? It looks like it will go left - but I need mine to go right.

It goes out left, that way it comes across it's own body so to speak [meaning the cable does not stick out, is not seen to be protruding past the outline of the camera body it's self] it then curves up to the headling of the roof. If the cable is going left or right once its in the headling is immaterial, left handed mini usb entry to camera will look neater.

Thanks for the above advice. Hard-wiring is stage 2 for me when I get a bit more time.

It's really just a right-angle connector that I'm looking for, so that I can plug the mobius 3m mini USB cable in - exactly the same as this style: https://www.ebay.com/itm/181021808431
But I would just like to know if anyone has had any success with a right angle adapter with the mobius cable, and where they bought it from.

Only advice I would offer up is this, the more adaptors/connectors you introduce to a circuit the possability of bad connections multiples.

Last edited:
Apologies if this has been covered a million times already, but I've spent a couple of hours searching through posts to find a right-angle mini-to-mini USB connector to plug into the back of the mobius. The mobius 3m cable will then plug into the connector.

Will this work ok? https://www.ebay.com/itm/181021808431
I've got one of the connectors similar to the one shown in link. Mine came with a phone charger I had so I didn't have a choice as to which way it turns.
Although, when getting a connector for my Mini0803 I found there are "right angle" and "left angle" connectors so you might need to edit your search if you need it to exit the other direction.

I've got one of the connectors similar to the one shown in link. Mine came with a phone charger I had so I didn't have a choice as to which way it turns.
Although, when getting a connector for my Mini0803 I found there are "right angle" and "left angle" connectors so you might need to edit your search if you need it to exit the other direction.

Thanks for the info. I definitely need a right angle one, as I'm going to place the camera to the left of the rear-view mirror, and I want the cable to exit the mobius toward the mirror.

That's exactly what I have in my car as well. Have you had any problems with voltage output?

You guys have some excellent ideas.

As much as I want to hard wire my Mobius for a cleaner installation, I am going a different route.

I have two cigarette lighter outlets in my car, one above the other. They are both always powered on.

I am going to take the lower outlet and disconnect the wiring from the "always on" circuit. Then I am going to use one of those "Add a Circuit" devices which plugs into a fuse socket and allows you to run a separate fused circuit.

I will then run the new circuit from the instrument cluster fuse circuit, which is connected to the terminal of my ignition switch that has power out at both the "run" and "start" positions (so I don't have any weird behavior of the Mobius with power going on, off, on in a couple seconds when I start the car).

This way I can have the Mobius turn on when I start the car and turn off when I shut off the car, but with the extra advantage of being able to shut off the car and move the cigarette lighter plug charger of the Mobius to the upper cigarette outlet to be able to record when the car is off. This way if I need to get out of the car but keep filming, it is just a matter of moving the charger to the upper outlet.

This way I can have the Mobius turn on when I start the car and turn off when I shut off the car, but with the extra advantage of being able to shut off the car and move the cigarette lighter plug charger of the Mobius to the upper cigarette outlet to be able to record when the car is off. This way if I need to get out of the car but keep filming, it is just a matter of moving the charger to the upper outlet.
Be careful with that scenario. If the mobius is set to shut down immediately upon loss of power, that should be OK but if it is set for a timed shutdown (even 1 minute), the cam will go into shutdown mode & plugging it back into a power supply will confuse the heck out of it.

Have you considered hard-wiring with a voltage protection box, so that the cam records permanently up until the voltage drops to [11.8V], at which point it cuts the power in order to preserve the car battery?

Last edited:
Back