right when we needed it... such a let down

robjstan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

my partner was involved in an accident this evening within 10 minutes of leaving work. When reviewing the dash cam footage for the front and rear camera it's apparent that on journeys it's randomly not been recording the first 5-10 minutes of a journey or the last 2-3 minutes of a journey. I've not gone through a full journey to see if middle bits of the journey are missing.

Firmware is up to date, formatted regularly, and a 64gb San Disk SD card.

this is very disappointing as especially there is no footage to pass on to the authorities as evidence etc.

Any thoughts?

THanks, Rob

Have you checked all the folders? I can't recall the nextbase folder structure, but there should be one folder for normal driving videos and another one for events.

Unfortunately, need to check the flashing red LED that the dash cam is recording ok, before starting and during your drive, with this brand, that is my experience.

Other car has a G**m*n, and it just works, no checking required, connects easily to phone without problem.

Have you checked all the folders? I can't recall the nextbase folder structure, but there should be one folder for normal driving videos and another one for events.
yeah I checked that and unfortunately there are no additional files in any other folders

Unfortunately, need to check the flashing red LED that the dash cam is recording ok, before starting and during your drive, with this brand, that is my experience.

Other car has a G**m*n, and it just works, no checking required, connects easily to phone without problem.
yeah I'll be looking to change cameras asap. Awful experience that you have to check it all the time, should be plug, and play

On this occasion I’m going to follow the nextbase line and say, “it could be the sd card”. The camera obviously works, as you say it records the mid section of your journey, the only reason I can see that the start or end are not is the card is at fault.
I use SanDisk and have had no problems, others have.

No dashcam are set and forget, you be wise yo keep a eye on it, i look over my memory card every few months and it take a few minutes on the PC to inspect a full 256 GB memory card.

I focus on first and last recordings in drive sessions, which should start and end in known locations or at least reasonable locations, i only play enough seconds of files i inspect to be able to see where it is filmed, you of course to not want to look over the entire footage 1:1 CUZ that would take many hours to do.

In good systems the memory card are often the weak link, fortunately newer hardware will sound a alarm if it is not able to record, older stuff would just sit there and looking to be recording but is not doing that anyway even if REC LED is on
You should also format the memory card in the camera every few months.

...should be plug, and play
It is plug and play, but it is not 'plug, play and forget'. Things (as in anything) can fail, and 'passive use' things can fail undetected as you've found out. It's necessary to check them to insure they're still working. Your car, phone, TV, etc. can also fail but because they're active use devices, you check them every time you use them so a failure can't go undetected.

Back